Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,186 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,496 reviews
on December 10, 1999
As a reader of hundreds of books on spirituality, religion, mysticism, etc. (Robert Monroe, Jane Roberts, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, Lobsang Rampa, Theosophy, Yogananda, Chuang-Tzu, Dion Fortune, Eckankar, etc., just to give you an idea of what I brought to reading this book), I can only say that I was ASTONISHED by this book. There are so many questions answered here for which I've never gotten satisfactory answers: for example, how suicide affects karma, why humans are so often evil (and what happens to them when they die), what the ultimate goal and purpose of life is (stated everywhere, especially in Christianity) but for some reason this is the first explanation that has made any sense to me.

This description of the nature of the universe and our place within it is fully compatible with discoveries in quantum physics, as well as many traditional faiths. It is simultaneously scientific and spiritual. I experienced profound shifts while it- was changed by it. I cannot recommend it enough. If you buy only one book this year, make it this one!

Added 9/3/13: I'm curious after all these years how valid or useful readers have found Newton's approach. I started a discussion called "Life Between Lives- Valid? Useful?"- it's here:

I would love to hear of others' experiences with it, personally or professionally, or thoughts in general, especially as it relates to other approaches.

UPDATE March 1, 2015: At last, a credible and in depth review of Newton's approach (along with reincarnation in general and related issues), from a scientific perspective: The Afterlife and the True Nature of Reality: The Quest for Answers to the Great Questions of Existence. Whether you have doubt the validity of Newton's approach or its utility in helping people, this book details the author's experiences with it- highly recommended.
3737 comments| 806 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2016
One year ago today I lost my son. He was a vibrant, healthy, happy & successful 25 year old who was living his dream... He went to sleep around midnight on February 19th and sometime overnight had a sudden arrhythmia, (an "off" heartbeat), and died. I didn't have the chance to say goodbye, tell him that I loved and appreciated him beyond measure, and we still don't know why the arrhythmia occurred. Poof, he just disappeared from our world. Where did he go? How and why could this happen?

I've not been a spiritual person, or believed in God for that matter, yet I must admit that there's got to be more to life than we could possibly conceive of. I so badly want to know that he's still with me now in some way, that I'll see him again, so I'm trying to educate & convince myself...

In my desperate attempts to FIND a true belief in Spirit I've purchased many books. I've read the first 1/2 of most of them, then I tire. Then I came across this beautiful book, this gift, that has truly given me hope, made sense of things that I'd not been open to before. I'm a left-brain, scientific, fact-based thinker and the people who claim to know, really know about a God or an existence beyond, well, they've not been people that I could relate to... Now I'm truly getting there thanks to Journey of Souls.

Would it sound too crazy if I called it one of the most meaningful, hopeful, beautiful book I've ever read? My paperback copy is on my nightstand for constant go-to when I have a crashing wave of pain, I have it on Audible to lull me to sleep when I can't otherwise, and I've purchased 12 other copies for friends and family.
I LOVE this book and am so thankful for its gifts to me.
on March 6, 2016
I have been reading spiritual, channelled books for decades and I loved or liked many but none of them answered so many questions and described the afterworld like this one. I have had so many a-ha moments while reading it and I have got so emotional while reading of "home". I didn't want this book to finish and I found out with joy that the author wrote a few other books so I have immediately bought Destiny of Souls too.
This book will change the way you look at life on Earth. There are so many things that apparently make no sense but you will find out that everything has purpose. No life is wasted or accidental and no pain is in vain. You will look at the people and friends or enemies around you in a different way.
It's incredibly eye opening and no woo woo stuff. No distorted channelling. It could be any of us undergoing hypnosis and speaking from our higher self. I'm truly grateful for this book and for the work of Dr. Newton.
I wish I read this years before....
on February 19, 2016
I have a very analytical mind and always have a tendency to ask questions in any kind of situation(s). Growing up, I have been exposed to different religions and I have come to the conclusion that at the very foundation, all religions are the same - try to be a good person and not harm others. Problems starts with religion when we introduce intermediaries - like priests - and become even more complex and politics is in the mix. I consider religion a way of controlling society because many of us will not question an instruction from a higher authority who says - "you will not enter heaven, if you perform such an action".

This book has impacted my life in the most profound manner. I cannot even comprehend how much it is. Even if the contents are not true, it does not matter. I know that after reading this book, I have been able to change the way I live my life, the way I have empathy for others, my true purpose in life and lastly but not the least - having peace and not afraid of death, whether it is my own or my immediate family.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is - be open to what the book is talking about. And ask your heart rather than your mind (there is a big difference) what you feel. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I highly recommend this book for personal growth and development.
on February 21, 2015
Michael Newton's "Journey of Souls" along with his other book "Destiny of Souls" are my two favorite non-fiction books. I've read each book several times, and I intend to read them many more times. These books are as important and life-enriching as they are fascinating. The consistency with which his subjects describe the Afterlife is, to me, powerful evidence that they are describing a dimension of existence that is very real. Reading these books has had a profound impact upon me personally, so much so that they have literally changed both my outlook and my behavior in ways that have improved my life experience dramatically. Another book which covers similar material and reports results that correlate with Dr. Newton's findings is Dolores Cannon's "Between Death and Life." As a result of reading these books I sought out a hypnotist and tried Life-Between-Lives hypnotic regression myself. The experience was awesome and wonderful: I learned a great deal about myself and about life, and my experience of the Afterlife was completely consistent with the descriptions given by Dr. Newton's subjects. Additional hypnosis sessions revealed fascinating details about a past life and about the reality in which we live. I've documented my findings in a book entitled "The Afterlife and the True Nature of Reality" available here at Amazon in both paperback and Kindle formats.
on April 26, 2016
Outstanding book. I've read approx. 40+ books on the subject of the Afterlife, Mediums etc. including all of Sylvia Browne's books. I would rank this about # 2 or 3 out of all of them. It really opened up my thinking in an area that I had not considered b/4. Made everything else that I've read on the subject make more sense --- at least to me. Answers questions like the meaning of life, why we are here & at least for me, an understandable reason for many of the tragedies that we see happening in what is sometimes a truly chaotic world. Cannot recommend this book highly enough, but would recommend some prior reading for a foundation --- #1 being "Answers about the Afterlife" by Bob Olson. You'll be glad you read this book & promise you >>> this will be in your top "reads" as well.
on July 26, 2016
Since my husbands death, I started struggling with my faith in heaven. Not because I don't believe, but my religion teaches that as a sinner you can't enter heaven. Well of course we're all sinners!!! None of us would go to heaven.
So I stumbled on this book through one of my google searches.
I love how he has years of research gathered on our afterlife... Every soul has a purpose, and when we arrive into the afterlife, we will see our loved ones again! I needed to read this book to help me cope.... Maybe I was guided to it
on March 8, 2015
I had high expectations for this book, but it left me quite uninspired as I was reading and afterward. Dr. Newton has other books on the subject of life after death, and not having read any others, I can't compare this to those and will leave that to other reviewers. For me, this one was a long litany of cases which quickly became repetitive in their questioning under hypnosis and responses to the author. Twenty-nine individuals was perhaps overly ambitious, whereas a few souls investigated more deeply might have been a more interesting and meaningful read.

There were a few things which remained unexplained such as why souls practiced creating various forms of life when they were in the spirit world. If this occurred, what was the purpose? Also the reporting that, although souls need to incarnate into physical bodies to learn and grow, many of them wait hundreds and even thousands of years to do this, and others choose to incarnate frequently. The other thing that bothered me was the fact that souls seem to be in constant training (schools) in the spirit world. I have always read there is a sense of tremendous freedom in the afterlife. Although there is freedom from a physical body, it seems, according to Dr. Newton's patients, their time is very structured and there are places and classes they must attend. There was no reporting of purely pleasurable activities in the way we experience them on earth...no music for example (which doesn't seem like heaven to me).
on March 11, 2017
This is a terrific book. It's enjoyable and informative.

This book is a series of transcripts of hypnosis sessions in which the author's patients describe their experiences when they were between lives as an incarnate being on Earth. The book gives considerable information on what the patients experienced in these between-lives periods. Fascinating!! I wish the author had made it more clear as to the amount of editing that he did, but other than that, I love this book!
on March 3, 2017
This is an amazing book. I got the digital and the hardcopy for passing on to others. Suffice it to say, if you are a light worker or simply a believer in the ubiquitous spirit world, this book will blow your mind with its carefully documented study of life for us spirits after we are gone from the earth plane. It is so detailed, and the spirit world is so organized, it is unbelievable. If you are a non-believer, my guess is this will be too much for you.