Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Journey of the Universe: An Epic Story of Cosmic, Earth and Human Transformation
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on February 28, 2013
I caught this when it was on PBS and I absolutely loved it. A beautifully crafted, information packed romp through the history of the universe, the film makes you feel highly connected to the universe, the Earth and each other. If you liked Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" or Joseph Campbell's "Power of Myth," this is for you.
on December 28, 2011
Spectacular journey!
Like no other - alive and vivid , teeming with life and wonder.
Hopefully Amazon will get some more of the dvd's so people can buy them.
I for one, would like to get another one, and buy for my friends as well.
on February 28, 2013
Journey of the Universe tells us of a voyage, a unique 14 billion year ongoing expedition where we, as humans, now stand at the crossroads playing the integral role of potentially controlling how the ensuing chapters shall progress. Journey of the Universe is a story of science. It is the story of history, of memory and of future. It is equally the unfolding story of the humanities.

Journey of the Universe is an epic tale told through hundreds of thousands, and millions of millions of little tiny stories that are being told all at the same time. It is a self-energizing tale of process, and an accounting of self-awareness; not just of the self-awareness of humankind, but the self-awareness that each living cell of each plant of each life form has inherent within it. It is animal to land, land and water to atmosphere, plants to air, earth to sun, solar system to universe and so on. It is the tale of the weaver, and of the knitting of each element to the other that then becomes the story itself unfolding.

Journey of the Universe is the evolution of childhood, of shared, self-amplifying and symbolic consciousness. It is the story of becoming human. And while Journey of the Universe is an epic film, it also asks a titanic question, for it peeks at the control we exert on our surroundings and asks you to consider if we, as a race, properly govern and correctly steer toward our collective future or are we fatally injuring the very thing we need and cherish most?

Journey of the Universe asks us to transform everything we thought we knew into something fresh and exciting. It tells that us we can. It inspires us to do so. It explains in a language all can understand that we are the stars, the nourishment, the passion and the creativity, and we are living the dream as we dream it.

Journey of the Universe is the story of knowledge unfolding, and Brian Swimme is the storyteller who captured me from the opening line.

"A MUST SEE FOR ALL WHO BREATHE!"
on August 1, 2012
I saw this film when it broadcasted on WNET and consider it one of the most important films of our time. It transforms and educates in the same way Joseph Campbell's Power of Myth might have when it released.

Journey of the Universe tells of a voyage, a unique 14 billion year ongoing expedition where we, as humans, now stand at the crossroads playing the integral role of potentially controlling how the ensuing chapters shall progress. It is a story of science. It is the story of history, of memory and of future. It is equally the unfolding story of the humanities. Journey of the Universe is an epic tale told through hundreds of thousands, and millions of millions of little tiny stories that are being told all at the same time. It is a self-energizing tale of process, and an accounting of self-awareness; not just of the self-awareness of humankind, but the self-awareness that each living cell of each plant of each life form has inherent within it. It is animal to land, land and water to atmosphere, plants to air, earth to sun, solar system to universe and so on. It is the tale of the weaver, and of the knitting of each element to the other that then becomes the story unfolding.

Journey of the Universe is the evolution of childhood, of shared, self-amplifying and symbolic consciousness. It is the story of becoming human. And while Journey of the Universe is an epic film, it also asks a titanic question, for it peeks at the control we exert on our surroundings and asks us to consider if we, as a race, properly govern and correctly steer toward our collective future or are we fatally injuring the very thing we need and cherish most?

Journey of the Universe asks us to transform everything we thought we knew into something fresh and exciting. It tells that us we can. It inspires us to do so. It explains in a language all can understand that we are the stars, the nourishment, the passion and the creativity, and that we are living the dream as we dream it.

Journey of the Universe is the story of knowledge unfolding. Bluntly, this film can change your entire perspective on life and I highly suggest you view it.
on April 22, 2013
I enjoyed watching this with my wife and daughter. This film is a great way to learn the interconnectedness of it all and to teach our daughter our history on a macro scale. Definitely worth watching!
on March 19, 2012
I watched this program on my local PBS station during a fund raising period, which unfortunately, is every other week it seems. The station was offering the dvd with any pledge of membership and they mentioned that there were plenty of extras. I was disappointed to find it was not available but on further searching I found it is available directly from the producers at Journey of the Universe.com. The website did not give much in the way of details but I ordered it anyway. I was disappointed to find there are no extras on the dvd at all. Maybe there are on the blu-ray version (or with a pledge membership?). If the website had more info I might have ordered the blu-ray. I can always get the book Journey of the Universe to find out more.
At any rate, I enjoyed the hour-long (approx. 54 minutes) program without any pledge breaks. And what an hour it is. Great presentation, good graphics and I have a keen interest in the subject matter. I particularily like the spiritual aspect of the cosmos that Brian Swimme discusses. You will be well rewarded by visiting the wikipedia page on Dr. Swimme. The dvd is a great introduction to his thinking.
on June 2, 2013
The Journey of the Universe is just that, a journey. It takes you on a voyage of discovery into a new story about the universe and our place within it. Its biggest strong suit is, perhaps, how approachable it is. Rather than narrowing the story into one specific philosophy, scientific worldview, or religion, Journey of the Universe masterfully expresses a number of issues together in one brilliant film. People of all religions, all philosophies, all backgrounds can not only enjoy the beauty of the film but can bring to it their own points of view.

But really what this film does is simply tell the story of us. How we are all connected together no matter where we live, no matter what we believe. It is a story of how all humans are connected with all of nature, all of the universe. Journey is the story of us. It is OUR Journey, and so it's no wonder we can all easily approach this film.

It is easy to see why this film has won a regional Emmy. It is brilliantly shot, delightfully told, and entrancingly beautiful. I highly recommend this film to people of all ages and walks of life. DO SHARE! It's a must see! You won't be disappointed.
on June 23, 2014
The topics are interesting, but so much of the narrative is incorrect or oversimplified. This "documentary" has such a bent that everything is presented as an "amazing balance" that if it were not maintained - our universe never would have existed.

Perhaps this is amazing to elementary students, but why is there is need to simplify to the point where it will need to be corrected later?

Example: movie discussion suggests that every element is generated by exploding stars ....(supernova are cool topics, but really!)
Reality : Nucleogenesis creates the lighter elements out of normal everyday activity of stars carrying out nuclear fusion. Yes, the heavy elements (Z >56) are thought to be created by rapid neutron capture events from supernova events ... but not everything. This represents a relatively small percentage of the mass of normal matter in our universe. We struggle to quantify the amount of dark matter- which we have little information about....

Example: movie discusses how the rate of big bang expansion is critically on target (within a millionth of a percent) to create galaxies and stars and LIFE...
Reality: No one has reported the rate of expansion to six figures precision. Who does these "critical calculations" and what are their assumptions? The reality is that we struggle to identify what is in our universe and how much is there. We should not presume we understand the universe even vaguely well enough to make such sweeping conclusions about our understanding.

The dialogue is filled with sappy metaphors. There is a continuous assumption that we need to explain life with tidbits from cosmology to biology. These grand speculations are exactly that: speculations!

Example:
"Earth has had to adapt itself to maintain that ...." special temperature needed for life.

"A living cell has the power to learn through time. This is what distinguishes the first cells from all the other beings that existed ...."

The dialog seems to imply that planet Earth and all living things learn and have a "will to change" which enables them to change and evolve. Are we taking another giant leap backwards in understanding to suggest that the giraffe got its long neck because it had a will to reach higher leaves?

In many ways, the show is a promotional tool for the island of Samos. OK, perhaps they need the promotion. However, this intellectual romp of deductive reasoning attempting to put the pieces of cosmic facts together to explain how humans are human is largely irritating and shallow. The suggestion that humans are beginning to understand the "powers of the universe" is contextually absurd. If we look back and reason how no one before us had the "right understanding", it is quite presumptuous to suggest we are any different today.

I do not recommend this video. It comes across as a formulaic documentary with too much emotional appeal and too little real information.
on March 22, 2014
The quality is excellent, the film is short, and the story amazing. Guaranteed to spark curious minds in a variety of disciplines, while telling the Universe story in a modern, up-to-date manner. Applies the science behind the Universe story to real world use, so the viewer can easily see why the science matters to their everyday life. Also beautifully told.
on March 7, 2014
I have seen this twice. The first time, it introduced me to new ideas about philosophy, evolution, biology, cosmology and the modern moment; the second time, I saw how much more information was packed into the film - in its images, in its words, and in its entirety - that I missed the first time. I will watch it a third time.

I am an alum of one of the author's schools and familiar with the other author as a professor, and I can say that a subject that often comes up in our classrooms is how to entice the average person* into wondering about, learning about and then participating consciously with, the journey of the universe. This is how you can do it: take a dense, complicated topic and introduce them to it in a way that is happily digested, packing the most information into each chosen word and constructed sentence with its carefully crafted image, so they are open to it, curious to it, and then watch it again and again to uncover the next layer. That is all it takes to bring someone in the flow; they'll get another book on the subject, watch another video on it, and now their journey begins - they start participating. Learning about cosmology, physics, astronomy, biology, socioeconomics... scratch that - learning about life does not need to be boring, tedious, or academic; it can be easy, entertaining, an beautiful. And once someone does start to join that ride with the universe, they'll notice how much easier, more fun and more beautiful their life is becoming by consciously participating in the evolution of our planet as our planet dances along the journey of the universe.

(*By average person, I mean someone who does not spend much, if any, time thinking about the planet or the universe, or humanity's involvement with either.)