Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Joy Bauer's Food Cures: Easy 4-Step Nutrition Programs for Improving Your Body
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

VINE VOICEon May 11, 2007
If you are just starting to think about food as a "drug" in terms of how different foods can affect your mood, health and overall well-being, then this book is for you. Joy Bauer provides a good, basic overview of certain key foods and how they can keep you healthy or, if you have a particular health problem, how various foods can either calm or exacerbate your condition.

The format of the book is useful in that it suggests specific foods to seek out and to avoid for different health situations. For example, there is a chapter that discusses arthritis and delineates which foods are likely to help you control inflammation. There is another chapter on moods, with information on which foods tend to promote depression and which tend to promote a general sense of well-being.

Because of this "disease-oriented" format, however, the book does at times seem repetitive, as the same food (spinach, for instance) is discussed in many different places throughout the book. Thus, Food Cures is not very useful if you just want to check out a single food or group of foods, since you will have to skip from page to page and will probably end up reading the same information in several different places. Another thing that I found irritating is the large size of this publication. It is awkward to hold and quite heavy, even though it's paper bound.

Nevertheless, Food Cures is a solid reference guide written in easily understandable language for the average reader. It is worth buying if you don't have a lot of other nutrition books in your personal library. If, on the other hand, you already own a few books by people like Andrew Weil or Barry Sears, then I recommend that you pass on this one.
on June 30, 2007
What defines good nutrition?

Nutritionist Joy Bauer is well known through her role as the nutrition expert for the Today Show. She has written a reference guide to how the food that you eat can and does affect your health. The book is divided into six sections: First, is the introduction to the author and her health practice. Second, losing weight contains an introduction and break down of the process of losing weight. Third, looking great deals with eating to help keep your skin, hair and smile all looking brilliant. Fourth, living long and strong talks about ways one can change their eating habits to help with cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and degeneration of bones, muscles and memory. Fifth, feeling good talks about what you can do to help problems with your mood, migraine headaches, PMS, insomnia and celiac disease. The sixth section smooth sailing breaks down how to correctly read nutrition labels, Joy talks about her good food picks, and you can find references on the subjects covered in the preceding chapters of the book here.

Each chapter is laid out in an easy to reference way. The author starts each by introducing the subject, using her knowledge as a nutritionist. She uses examples of stories of her patients and what they did to work through their health issues, and talks about food changes and supplements you can add to your diet. Next, she breaks the process of implementing the food program into your life in four steps. Step 1, start with the basics gives you a quick run down of things you will need to do to help along your health goals. Step 2, your ultimate grocery list gives you a comprehensive list of the foods you should be including in your new eating habits and is very helpful for stocking your kitchen and pantry. Step 3, going above and beyond gives added tips to things you can do to improve your health goal. Step 4, meal plans includes sample daily menus including the foods that will improve your health goal. Also included in this last section are recipes using these foods, each of which are calculated to provide a 1,200 to 1,500 calorie daily goal.

I was taken by surprise by this collection. I expected a book focusing more on weight loss. The sections dealing with common ailments such as skin, and digestion problems were a pleasant surprise. I also found that the inclusion of easy to prepare meal options and recipes balanced to help along those who were trying to loose weight a very helpful one. This is a book that I have found to be a great reference for health, and good food choices.
on April 25, 2007
I'm sorry, but I have to STRONGLY disagree with the reader Erica below who said this book was not a good resource regarding the health/nutrition connection. If Shaquille O'Neal and the New York City ballet in addition to the editor of SELF magazine have gone on record singing Joy's praises, I think I'm going to believe there is something to this. I have several health issues where diet and exercise are the MAIN ingredients in being able to manage the symptoms. Because of this, I brought this book to my Doctor to make sure that the information given within the pages would work for me. He reviewed a few of the food plans that pertained directly to my issues, and I left his office with a double thumbs up. I immediately began following the food plan that Joy set forth and already I notice a REAL difference in the presentation of my symptoms. From the grocery lists to the various menu options and recipes given, in addition to the easy to understand explanations of how what you eat affects your body, this book has become an invaluable tool to me in managing my health. Knowledge is power, and Joy certainly delivers in this book.

This is superb, comprehensive, easy to understand guide to managing your diet and staying healthy, and frankly, I've already purchased additional copies for friends and loved ones who I know will benefit from this as I have. This book is like having a nutritionist with you at all times. I now have the ability to take control back over my body, and as they say, the proof is in the pudding. 10 lbs already down!! And the best part yet, she makes it so easy.

BUY THIS BOOK IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. Period.
on April 26, 2007
Joy Bauer does it again! I have been taking her sound and easy to follow advice since seeing her on The View, buying her book The 90/10 plan and now on The Today Show. This newest book is filled with the answers to all the questions I wish I could ask her in person. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants guidance on the foods to eat and avoid for almost any health issue
on April 26, 2007
As a PhD scientist, I am supposed to know all about how the body works - and what makes a body healthy. But when it comes to food and nutrition, Joy's book is hands-down the perfect resource: She puts hundreds of medical research articles at your finger tips, incorporating their scientifically backed facts into her recipes and explaining the broad health-concepts in simple, easy-to-understand language. A refreshing read that will stand the test of time and survive the comings-and-goings of fad diets.

Joy's book has helped me to get serious about my own diet-related health problems by making it easy to get started. Each of the food cures has a four-step program - for the one that I chose, I followed about half of the suggested modifications. Within 7 weeks, my doctor positively commented on my condition and urged me to keep following Joy's tips.
on April 12, 2007
Bauer's book is a god-send. Whether you're trying to lose weight, prevent or manage disease, or just be smarter at the supermarket, this book is THE ONE you need. Whatever your health goal (or problem), Food Cures explains EVERYTHING about nutrition and how it impacts your health -- what to eat, when, why, how much...But more than just that, it offers great recipes with complete nutrient listings (I've tried several, all delicious and easy to prepare!) and inside information you won't read in the popular media. Trust me, I've tried!

This book has excellent content, presentation and detail from two qualified sources -- a nationally known, top-notch nutritionist (Bauer) and a nationally known, top-notch health and medical author (Svec).
on May 30, 2007
When this book came in the mail, it was much bigger than expected and chock full of useful advice for losing weight while dealing with certain ailments. I bought it for my stomach troubles and I thought it was very helpful. The author's writing is very acccessable but still interesting...
on September 15, 2008
Joy Bauer's book was a disappointment. Very short on recipes and hum-drum
on subjects to be addressed. High blood pressure and kidney disease are
greater concerns than healthy teeth and skin.
One other reviewer commented on repetitive material and I agree. The
book was repetitive and not what I was hoping for. I would have liked
to see far more food cure type recipes versus restatements similar
to other books. The organization and flow of material wasn't
as strong as I was hoping for. I bought it on sale for $6.99 plus
postage and felt as though I wasted my money.
on June 30, 2007
I've lost weight, gained energy and feel great. This book is easy to follow and filled with invaluable information. I highly recommend it.
on July 20, 2007
I understand why The View and Today show has picked Joy Bauer as their nutrition expert. The book is clear and concise with amazing advice for your basic ailments. She shows you how to alleviate some issues through change of diet and certain foods. Why would someone want to take a pill as their first choice? When this book can help you naturally change the way you feel through food.