Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Joy of Kosher: Fast, Fresh Family Recipes
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 15, 2013
Joy of Kosher: Fast, Fresh Family RecipesWhenever I open a new cookbook or really any book, I like to read about the author. The author's background gives me a window into where she/he has come from and what might have influenced their writing. Reading the intro of Jamie Geller's newest book: JOY of KOSHER-FAST, FRESH FAMILY RECIPES was certainly elucidating. Jamie has often referred to herself as "the bride who knew nothing". She unabashedly tells the reader, that she grew up on take out, really doesn't like to cook and learned how to be kosher somewhere in her mid twenties.
Jamie Geller has presented us with a beautiful collection of recipes that are perfect for family dinners and company too. Each recipe is offered with an option for family eating and a way to "dress it up" for company. This cookbook is all inclusive. From Challah dough and all the many variations you can make from it, to hors d'oeuvres, entrees, vegetables, salads and desserts- Jamie has it all covered. She gives you holiday recommendations, ways to combine her recipes to make a meal, lists of staples and equipment to keep on hand and several glossaries. My favorite is the "Hebrew, Yiddish, Yinglish" glossary. There is also a Passover substitution list. In addition, Jamie offers wine pairing with each meal. One of the wines she mentions is "W" by Weinstock-a dry white wine that I order by the case. It's very reasonably priced so it's great for cooking and drinking as well.
There are many beautiful photographs in this new book but none more beautiful than the ones of Jamie's family that are interspersed throughout. It is clear that Jamie Geller has transformed her dislike of cooking into a calling to demonstrate that you don't have to spend all day in the kitchen to cook in a healthy and creative way for your family. To quote Jamie: " That's because food is an expression of love." Jamie's newest book (like her previous ones) should become a treasured new friend in your kitchen.
on October 17, 2013
I absolutely LOVE this cookbook! I really like that each recipe has an option to either dress it up or dress it down, so you can reuse favorite recipes for everyday or dress them up for special occasions. The pictures are gorgeous and instructions are easy to follow. Jamie's personal stories throughout are hilarious and so relatable. This cookbook is a must have!
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 11, 2013
Jamie Geller's cookbooks speak to everyone in different ways, but there is a common thread that any home cook can appreciate. Any home cook is cooking and for family and friends - they need recipes that they can relate to, can make simple or fancy, and best of all that are not complicated. It is for these reasons I would recommend purchasing this cookbook.
on November 20, 2013
Great kosher recipes and great information. I highly recommend this cookbook to anyone wanting to follow kosher dietary laws. There are recipes in this book I havd never had before.
on November 30, 2015
I have to say this is my first Kosher cookbook and it came recommended. Jamie Geller comes across very friendly, some people say the cutesy wears off, but no different than others. I didn't realize how easy it a was to cook kosher (I don't need to, but was wondering) and she makes it very simple. She has kids so not everything is a 6 course gourmet dinner, which is refreshing actually, and she lives in another country but all ingredients can be found in the US. I love her dress it up, dress it down features very helpful. My favorites are her Jack Daniels Brine for her turkey and although chances are slim I would do it, her challah. I just like reading about how it is her meditation, that each twist, turn, punch, is a prayer for a family member. I always found the whole process zen like myself, so it was her calming moment in the midst of chaos with 5 kids. The pictures illustrate a full kitchen, some disasters, a lot of smiley faces. I want to do the dress it ups for the Holidays, they are simple but elegant.
on November 11, 2013
I am completely in love with Jamie's new cookbook! Her family stories are wonderful to read and it's great to see that she has a mix of simple and advanced recipes. I've already started using her cookbook for Thanksgiving: [...]
on November 3, 2013
this is one of jamie's best cookbooks. it is so much fun to read. the recipes are so clear and the tips are amazing.
everything is delicious. this is one cookbook you will use over and over again.
on August 5, 2014
Great recipes for when you're in a hurry. This book has a lot of delicious recipes which are simple and easy to make but still taste great! This book is really helpful for coming up for shabbat/holiday recipes that are manageable but still look/taste like you spent all day in the kitchen. My favorite has probably been the coq au vin chicken recipe.
on February 4, 2016
Wonderful for "new to kosher" or any young bride Jewish or otherwise...I kept eyeing this book at win Dixie but it was $30. When the author came to my local Win-Dixie and had signed copies I splurged and purchased one to give to my young daughter. She just moved into her first college apartment and loves entertaining her friends for Friday night dinners. The recipes are EASY to follow. There are always more than one version or alternative to every recipe. For example, you can have a dish that is simple as a side, or add a few more ingredients and it becomes a main dish. It even suggests wine pairings. Can't get easier than that. When I saw this on amazon as an e book, I couldn't resist. As much as I loooove a big beautiful hard cover cook book, it's not in the budget now that I bought my daughter one. I snatched up the $1.99 e version for me, and I love it. This is a book that my daughter says she is saving for her own daughter...
on October 27, 2013
I BOUGHT this cookbook for my daughter who is a big fan of Jamie Geller,and rightly so,she is great at putting together quick,tasty meals that are great for multitasking moms! I got a great deal,$18.00,which IS a great deal for this cook book! My daughter received it a few days after I ordered it,and was soooo surprised,and pleased! As always,a pleasure to shop at Amazon,friendly customer service,really good prices,and they get it out there to you quick!!:)