Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(1 star, Verified Purchases). See all 399 reviews
on March 25, 2017
I tried several recipes from this book and they were all awful. The recipes were easy and didn't call for a lot of weird ingredients, which made them easy and convenient. However, I found them all to be nearly flavorless. It was very strange. The textures of the things I made came out normal, but they just didn't have much flavor.

I ended up returning the book because the recipes were not good. You can find much better vegan recipes on websites or vegan blogs.
on August 30, 2016
Wish I had read the negative reviews. The recipes are lack-luster and I am unimpressed with the things I've made. I would not recommend this book and will donate it, since I'm past the time limit on a return.
on December 6, 2012
How I wish I had read "a friend"s review before purchasing this book! I absolutely have the intellectual capacity to alter a recipe to the extent of using egg replacer instead of eggs and vegan "butter" instead of real butter. I didn't need to spend good money on a book that does it for me; I just as easily could have taken any of my 27 cake/cookie recipe books and done the conversions myself.

Maybe I was expecting too much: Recipes that are not based on the assumption that animal based foods are the "real thing" and in order to be a compassionate cook/consumer one has to substitute animal-based ingredients with highly processed commercial products; but that vegan cooking and baking are worthwhile in their own right. Surely there are some nice looking recipes in the book. Surely I will take the time sometime to tinker with a few of them to add nature's real flavors, textures and nutrition. Or, for the office party, to keep them vegan without having to resort to vegan lookalikes (which are not stocked in my local supermarket). But that really isn't the point of buing a recipe book.

Summary: If you are a junk food vegan and your admitted goal is to continue eating like everybody else but without hurting animals, this book is a must have. If, on the other hand, you are looking for exciting new options, maybe even healthier ones, keep looking.
on October 26, 2014
Very disappointed. The book is mostly an animal cruelty prevention treaties. Very little recipie content and difficult index.
on October 19, 2009
I, too, tried a variety of recipes and with each one met with frustration. Each one I had to alter the recipe in order to improve the texture or taste. It was a waste of money to purchase this book.
on November 18, 2009
This book is a waste of space and time. Almost every recipe in this book uses egg replacer (which is so not creative). The recipes turn out just awful tasting and/or bland. I don't recommend it at all.
on September 23, 2015
Disappointed. Most recipes call for sugar and white flour. Not vegan!
on August 3, 2008
I could hardly wait for this book to arrive. When it finally did, I couldn't wait to open it up and look inside. It was then that I was so disappointed! It is a "vegan baking" book, right? I expected the ingredients to use good things in them but instead they call for "sugar". Yuck!
1212 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse