Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Joyce Chen 26-0013, Bamboo Steamer Set, 10-inch" and save 41% off the $40.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Joyce Chen 26-0013, Bamboo Steamer Set, 10-inch
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 2-tier bamboo steamer; designed by famous restaurateur Joyce Chen
- 2 stackable baskets made of woven bamboo; domed lid traps moisture
- Designed for use inside a wok or over a stockpot; ideal for dim sum
- Leverages steam cooking to produce healthy foods; avoids fats and grease
- Measures 10 inches in diameter; gift-boxed; hand wash with water
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
Joyce Chen opened her first restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1958. She found that the selection and quality of Chinese cookware in America didn't live up to her high standards… so she developed her own. Today, Joyce Chen Products sources from all over the Pacific Rim to bring the best of Asia to you. This 10" steamer is two-tiered to enable you to steam twice as much in the same amount of time. Made of 100% bamboo, a renewable resource. Gift-boxed.Cooking with Steam
Steaming, next to stir-frying, is one of the oldest and most important cooking methods in Chinese cuisine. The Chinese use steam to cook everything from breads to soups to dumplings to seafood. The absorption of steam creates a hot container so the food cooks quickly. Steaming has grown in popularity in Western cuisine for its ease, health benefits and energy-saving efficiency. Steam cooking ¡s a very healthy way to cook because it basically requires no added oils or fats. Steaming also cooks the food in a moist, even heat so food doesn’t thy out Although you can‘t bum food in a steamer you can over cook it. The most traditional Chinese steamer is made from bamboo. Bamboo is actually a grass that is plentiful and grows quickly. the bamboo steamers are handmade of natural bamboo and are constructed for strength and durability. The bamboo lid absorbs the condensation from steaming so water droplets won‘t fall on the food you are steaming. The bamboo steamers are attractive enough to be brought directly to the table for serving and food will stay warm in a covered steamer up to half an hour.
Care and Cleaning
Before first use; rinse and brush steamer thoroughly.After use, rinse and brush with warm water to remove any food particles and allow to air dry. Avoid using soap as the fragrance from the soap may be absorbed into the bamboo. Store the steamer in a well ventilated location.
1.Place food in a heat-safe bowl or plate or place directly in the bamboo steamer trays and cover with lid.If using a bowl or plate, be sure it is small enough to allow at least 1" on the sides for steam to freely circulate. Do not let the lid touch foods. Always use a plate when steaming fish so you can retain the juice to be used on rice.
2. For efficient steaming; be sure lid is securely in place to prevent steam from escaping.
3. Place steamer in a large wok or pan with just enough water so that the bottom rim of the steamer tray rests in the water. Be careful not to allow water to boil up into the food when steaming.
4. Steam over medium high or high heat from time indicated in recipe.Check water level periodically during cooking and add more boiling water as necessary until food Is cooked. Never let the water boil completely away.
5. When done, turn heat off. Steamer is very hot. Remove lid by opening away from face. Wait a few seconds to allow steam to escape. Transfer food to platter or serve directly from steamer, for convenience, you may steam different ingredients on each tier for a whole meal in one steamer.
Note: If you steam using both tiers, remember that the lower for the tier which is closer to the boiling water will cook faster. Either put foods that require longer cooking time on the bottom or start the bottom tier first and then add the second tier later.
6. For easier handling after each use, allow the parts to cool and dry before reassembling. Bamboo Over time, the parts may fit differently as when new due to the handmade nature of this product and the natural bamboo itself which expands and contracts with steam and moisture absorption.
Compare to similar items
This item Joyce Chen 26-0013, Bamboo Steamer Set, 10-inch
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||DOMU Brands LLC||Amazon.com|
|Item Dimensions||10.2 x 10.7 x 7 in||11 x 11 x 0.3 in||10.5 x 6.7 x 10.7 in||5 x 7 x 6.25 in|
|Material Type||Bamboo||Aluminum||Bamboo||Stainless Steel|
Top Customer Reviews
I doubt this could be a health risk, however, it certainly doesn't appear sanitary and it calls into question the quality of materials being used.
It's opened the door to a whole new way of cooking!
I really like that you can either use both tiers or only one. So far I've made an entire dinner of stringbeans and frozen won tons on two tiers (came out great), fish and veggies on two tiers (that time I boiled the water off by accident so it had a bit of a strange taste, but still pretty good), and lots of broccoli and other veggies on just one tier. I put parchment paper down every time so I don't have to spend much time cleaning, and that works great.
My only suggestion is that amazon/the seller include a picture of the steamer inside both a pot and a wok to see how to properly use it. I searched online for days for a diagram or picture like that, and then I finally bought it anyway because it was so cheap.
Update: I've been using this steadily for almost 6 years and still think it's great. The only problem is that the small, fiber handle on the lid has almost completely fallen apart. I have to open it now with tongs, but I think I really got my money's worth. Time to order a new one!
Best of all, people seem to be impressed when I cook with them. Even though I have a lot of foodie friends people seem to assume my food tastes better when I use these steamers. Overall this is a great gadget that is much more than a novelty. That said, I have found these steamers all over at various price points. The construction often seems identical so if you can find one elsewhere, like an Asian supermarket, for less you're probably not sacreficing much (if anything) in quality. That said, these seem to be fairly priced compared to what I have seen.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
See the Top Rated cookware in our Cookware Reviews.