Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on May 26, 2011
This album is almost perfect. All of the songs are very simple and relaxing. Most of them are about romantic love, one song dedicated to her father about how grateful she is to have him, and a couple that are about very depressing experiences in her life. It's typical stuff that most people experience at some point in their lives and can easily relate to. It's not lyrically or musically complex at all, just simple melodies played on an acoustic guitar with some drums and accordions and other light instruments in the background. No obscure allusions to other artists or cultural phenomena, no intricate poetry, just simple and straightforward, which is a good thing. Her voice is very soft and soothing as well, and you can feel the passion that she pours into each song.

But there is one song that prevented this album from being perfect IMO: "Down on My Knees." I don't understand how this is the big single of the album. It sounds nice, but the content of the song is very degrading to herself and to women in general. It's about some guy leaving her for another woman, and throughout the entire song she's literally whining and begging for him to come back. It reinforces the whole clingy woman stereotype and makes it seem like she NEEDS to be in a relationship or her whole life is meaningless. I don't get how anyone can listen to that and not be annoyed by the constant begging and whining. I get that a lot of people have gone through that experience of feeling like you need someone, but if I ever hear someone in real life saying the things that she says in the song, I wouldn't be able to respect them.

Unfortunately this is the opening track and the main single for the album. If this had been the first song I'd heard by her I most likely wouldn't have picked this up, but fortunately I heard of her through the song "Life is Real," which is a great song, just like every other song besides "Down on My Knees." If that track wasn't on there, or if she didn't sound so clingy and needy during the song, then this album would be perfect. It's still great regardless of that song, and I guess if you enjoy hearing a woman beg for a man to stay with her then you'll consider this to be a perfect album. I know I spent about 3/4ths of the review ranting about one song, but it's just frustrating that a potentially amazing album is only "almost" amazing because it was tainted by one bad song.
on May 31, 2015
This was Ayo's first album, and every track was enjoyable, no fillers or throw aways. Her voice is lovely, but I can't describe it, she's unique. I bought for the hit, I'm down on my knees begging you. I sounds believable of man or woman wanting that last chance with the love of their life, knowing that no one else can make you happy. I don't know what she's done after this, and I'm afraid to look. The second album is sometimes not as good, but I'll see.
on January 1, 2009
A friend told me about AYO, like most of the underground artist I had never heard of her. Someone mentioned her accent but I think that it gives her voice a unique edge and sexy/soultry sound to it. I love her first CD with my favorite being the thought provoking song, "What is Love." I really enjoyed the entire cd and now that I see that she has a new cd out, I am very much looking forward to purchasing it. She thinks about the words that she use in her music, which is what is missing into today's music "meaningfulness." She moves me with the sound of her voice and the feelings that she puts into her music, like I've been there with her in my own life. Keep singing, AYO. Love your name too, we need more joy in this world.
on December 23, 2016
Try something new and let Ayo set the music tone. The way how she plays on the string of your heart you will soon singing along.
on March 15, 2010
So happy to have discovered her. Her tone and the way she delivers her words just sends me. I'm not into the technical side of music. I'm into the aesthetic side of music. She is wonderful for the sure joy of music; the philosophical side of what is beautiful and pleasing to the sound. I only hope she will continue have excellent music writers and virtuoso musicians in her songs. As people get to know each other the future looks brighter as we extract the best from each other. Ayo! Ayo!
on July 13, 2007
I purchased this CD after playing a few sample tracks. I can honestly say that I really like the music. Ayo would probably not be considered a tremendously gifted vocalist, but she has her own unique, sexy style. The lyrics are outstanding and the music is great. Most of the songs have a laid back reggae groove to it, but the songs do not sound the same.

I only have a handful of CDs where I can listen to every song on the CD. Ayo's joyful is one of them. That's why I'm giving it 5 stars.
on October 13, 2008
Very good cd, I like her singing and seems like songs are written maybe by her own experiences in life?
Her voice is unique and her songs and singing are refreshing.
I first saw her on a public TV channel not long ago, and I loved her voice and types of songs she sang. A little Reggie, blues, etc. And she is very pretty. :)
on September 7, 2008
Came across this very talented young lady just following links when browsing one day, liked what we heard. This CD is really a wonderful journey and makes for very enjoyable 'road trip' music! The 'Reggae' qualities on some tracks are just plain fun and the entire CD just makes you smile. The light jazz and soul on others makes you want more. Will be looking for another from Ayo!
on January 28, 2016
She has a voice like an angel
on January 31, 2016