Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 28, 2011
A review of this is a bit difficult to write because I don't have anything to compare it to. I imagine its problems plague all soymilk makers so I'll give you my impressions and you can take them as you will.

PROS:
-Best Price for this type of soy milk maker
-Fast, does a batch in 15 min
-Attractive, much better looking than some of the other soy milk makers I've seen
-Filterless, Makes it easier to clean (though not easy per se)
-Saves a TON of money over time compared to buying soymilk. This thing has already paid for itself in these savings
-Makes pretty good tasting soy milk if you are willing to experiment with reciepes
-Easy to use, just add soaked beans and water and press one button
-Comes with good accessories: screen, pitcher, removable cord, brush, book.

CONS:
-Difficult to clean. This may go for all soymilk makers but it is not easy to clean and you have to make sure to keep water off of the top part while cleaning the grinding and heating elements (attached to the underside of the lid) in the sink. I've heard that this kind (with an external filter screen) is easier than those models with an internal filter.
-Gets really hot. I don't mind this at all but the outside of this machine, as well as the steam coming out of it when you pour off the soymilk are super hot! Wear oven mits when pouring.
-A little noisy, but really not bad especially since it runs for maybe 15 minutes and 2 of those are noisy

Overall I am really please especially with the savings compared to buying soy milk in the store. I wish it made more soy milk at a time since I drink so much (I make 2 batches at a time) but I think the capacity is pretty standard for soy milk makers. Make sure you clean everything as soon as your are done and I think you'll be really happy with this soy milk maker. I am very happy with my purchase overall.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on October 12, 2016
This soy milk maker is a practical and strong one. It deserves to be used. The almond milk produced init is delicious (if you add a little sesame and vanilla). I have used it for three years now and still working as the first day.
2 helpful votes
on December 5, 2009
I'm very happy with this soymilk maker. Milk is smooth, fresh and clean up is a snap. I put some oats and walnuts together with soybean. The milk came out even better. It has a thicker texture and nutty taste. Much better than soymilk bought from the store. Chill in the fridge and I have soymilk any time. I use the left over (Okara) to cook with rice or bake stuff. It's nutritious and tastes great. Highly recommended.
22 helpful votes
23 helpful votes
on January 9, 2010
I used to make soymilk from scratch. It always overflows before it's boiled. So this machinie is perfect for me. The operation is very easy, just like the Coffee machine: put dry/soaked soybean in the container, and press the buttom, wait for 15 minutes, that's it.
The soymilk comes out silky and tasty, much better than the one from the supermarket. Of course, it is organic, and fresh. I also add various nuts, red dates to make the taste of milk various.
For the leftover from soymilk, I mixed with 2 egges, add salt, pepper and green onion, pan fry two sides. It tastes like frying toufu, but has better texture than that. So please try before you throw this away.
Overall, it saves money in long term, so I highly recommend.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on March 18, 2010
***Update 9/2/13 - it's been 3-1/2 years since I purchased this soymilk maker in Feb. 2010, and it just died. I'm still a huge fan since it paid for itself in the first year I had it. It's made about 600 batches (~5 cups each) of great soymilk for me at about 40 cents a quart AND it tastes better! Compare that to the current price of soymilk in the store. Now I'm off to buy another one...***

***Update 12/30/12- it's been nearly 2 years since I purchased this soymilk maker and it's still running like a champ! I make 3 to 4 batches a week and have used approx. 75 lbs of soybeans in that time ($43/25#). Even with a little honey and salt added, the cost is under 50 cents a quart. I actually prefer my soybean milk to any other on the market! I routinely use all soybeans, adding about 1-2 T. grated unsweetened coconut and 1 T. oatmeal. The milk comes out creamy white and really delicious. ***

This makes excellent soymilk. I've had it for about a month now and I am very pleased with it. I usually drink a pint a day of Silk brand's plain original. The Joyoung soymilk tastes more like Silk lite than Silk original, but is far superior because it's made fresh with the ingredients you put into it. The amount of calories and fat in a quart of the freshly made soymilk is about half of Silk original, and equivalent to Silk lite, so I think their original may be concentrated during processing.

I chose this soymilk maker based on many reviews here and especially N. Tucker's. I used her soymilk recipe as a base, adding some modifications. I like it much better than any soymilk from the market. Using all organic ingredients, my recipe is:

Place 1 T. barley in the cup provided by Joyoung and fill to the top with soybeans. Empty beans into a container, add 2 T. rolled oats, and cover with plenty of water to soak from 8 hrs to overnight. Drain the soaking water and rinse the mixture well. I use a wire strainer to catch all the oats. Fill the machine to the lower water level, add the washed bean mix and process on nutrition. I strain the milk twice using the pitcher and strainer that came with the machine. The second straining reduces the "grainy" texture by removing additional bean mash. I add 4 teaspoons of raw sugar and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt while it's still hot, to dissolve well. This makes a plain milk that's not too sweet, but a little more palatable to me than the straight stuff. The barley and oatmeal add a slightly thicker, cream-like quality to the soymilk. Delish!

I made rice milk from brown rice without soaking and processed on dry bean setting. It is creamier and tastes better than Rice Dream, but still has a raw rice flavor. When I heat it in hot cocoa, the raw flavor is gone. You'd have to add sugar and salt or vanilla to match the taste of commercial rice milks, such as Rice Dream.

The okara is great for composting if I don't use it all, but I have added it to soups, egg dishes, meatballs, and even mixed in with filling for enchiladas! The dishes were delicious, although the okara itself doesn't have much flavor of its own. Okara gives more structure and substance to egg dishes while they still remain tender and moist. I imagine it would be great mixed in with ricotta for lasagna, or a good substitute for the eggs and cheese.

One major problem with this machine is that the stainless steel exterior gets so hot while processing that a person could be burned touching it. This is especially dangerous for a household with children. The company could improve it immensely by designing a protective thermal exterior that would remain cool to the touch.

I wash the unit immediately after using by rinsing with cold tap water to cool it enough so I can touch it with my bare hands. I remove the inner screen surrounding the blade area and wash it separately. Then I fill the container about 2/3 full with warm soapy water, reassemble it, and let it sit on the counter to soak for about half an hour. It cleans up easily without any scrubbing. I dry the unit thoroughly with a towel right after cleaning.

Many people have mentioned cost savings. It's true. I'm saving at least $25 a month making my own soymilk instead of buying it. This machine will have paid for itself in 4 months!
17 helpful votes
18 helpful votes
on May 16, 2010
I've had this only a few days, so no ideas on longevity. Although for $99, if it lasts a year and a half I'll be thrilled. We will save over $1000 a year by making our own soy milk! So the machine will pay for itself very shortly.

My favorite recipe, use the scooper provided full of dry soy beans. Let soak in water over night. Rub the soaked beans between your hands and remove the hulls (they float to the top of the water). Rinse. Add filtered water to the bottom line, add soaked beans, 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 TBLS of raw honey. Process on soybean milk. Strain twice. LOVE IT!

Agree that the outside gets pretty hot, and I wish there was an on off switch. Other than that, no complaints yet!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 30, 2013
I've used this once and it's pretty easy to use; just attach the filter, add water, add pre-soaked nuts, put lead on and activate. I am not sure what the filter does cause the milk has to be filter. I will probably make the next batch without the filter. I followed the initial recipe and the milk was watery, but recipes have to be worked-out. Oh, I could taste how good the nut milk is but I will use less water on my next batch.
on August 7, 2016
Have the machine for 5 years and still enjoy it, always have fresh health home made soy milk, very easy to clean. Love it!
on February 22, 2010
Am drinking glass 2 of just-made soymilk and OH GOD! It's out of this world! Un-be-lievable. The machine's surprisingly quiet. Very easy to use even for someone like me who doesn't know the A (forget about B & C) of cooking. Lazy, I didn't even bother to drain the milk. The whole thing straight out of the jug. And the delivery. Ordered it late Thursday night from Amazon for Free Delivery (sold by Micca), and 5 pm Saturday it was at my door! Via Velocity Express. Some velocity that was! I usually drink skim milk, which is pasturized milk - fat + Godknows what + tapwater or worse. Always wondered about the water part but thought had no choice. Truth is, I bought the Joyoung soymilk maker thinking it'd be worth it just so I know what exactly am drinking, so the great taste came as a total surprise. No more animal milk. No more heavy jugs from grocery stores. No more wondering "what's in my milk?" Heathful soybeans, clean water, and nothing else! Oh - and this is NOT a complaint - the machine must be designed by a lefty, because you have to lean over it to see the buttons. Again, completely satisfied and will recommend it to everyone.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on September 1, 2011
This Joyoung soy milk maker works great ! It's really fast and the milk tastes good. I just soaked the soy bean overnight, remove most of the skin, put beans and water in the jug, and hit the make milk button. Afterward, I strained the milk with a fine wire mesh into a jug and add any flavor and sugar. I clean the maker right away so the crud doesn't get dried. I saw some less expensive brands in the Kam Man store, so you might want to check it out first.