Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 6, 2016
I know that a lot of people think this is a play about violence, murder and mayhem. Well, it IS a tale of murder and violence with the mayhem that ensues as a result. However, at it's heart, Macbeth is a love story about a man and a woman who are so head over in heels in love with each other they can't see straight. Lady Macbeth is a real piece of work and manipulates her besotted husband with such skill, you have to stop sometimes and say "Waaaht?" I love the rich fabric of this story and all of the supporting characters. But I especially love Lord and Lady Macbeth, another of the Bard's star crossed lovers...magnificent.
on November 17, 2017
what a huge help with interpretation. My kid attends a fine arts school and we're working on monologues for Auditions. It's so important to know what was really happening before and after the specific verse to really play it out. The sidebar interpretation helps so much with this aspect. Highly recommend to anyone studying Shakespeare
on April 21, 2014
It is hard to tell much about this edition (it is apparently based on the print book with ISBN 142092253X). It is even difficult to write a review relative to it, inasmuch as reviews of other editions (e.g. the Arden/Jenkins), are on the same Amazon page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CWJI4U/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title).

I suggest that this is not worth buying if having line numbers, notes, and definitions offer any value to the reader, because there are none. The OED that ships with Kindle is woeful inadequate, compared to the notes and definitions in the Arden/Jenkins edition. I do not know if there is a better Kindle edition. It is not a difficult matter to provide line numbers, notes, and definitions in Kindle books.
on April 21, 2017
Having the book organized with definitions of archaic words or phrases on the opposing pages makes this edition of Shakespeare very easy to read. If a person needs some help, it is there; if not, one can read without looking at the definition page.
on July 9, 2012
I purchased this with the other titles ("Hamlet," "Macbeth," and "Romeo & Juliet" to help my remedial English students (which included a bunch of ESLL students) to understand Shakespeare. I liked that the actual text was included with the manga style; however, some scenes are not included, and a cast of characters would've been nice to have, especially for students who are unfamiliar with the play in the first place. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. Oh, and my students all left remedial English with a clear understanding of Shakespeare's tragedies. :)
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2010
My appreciation for Shakespearean comedies have increased with age. I liked "As You Like It" - it made for a good comedy and a good introduction for someone to Shakespeare.

The Kindle version is pretty much flawless - it's copied from a good source and doesn't have any glaring transcription errors as some free e-books do.

If you want a good introduction to Shakespeare, or even just want to branch out from his dramatic plays - give it a try. It's a free book - what can go wrong?
45 helpful votes
46 helpful votes
on November 1, 2012
I read Macbeth in high school, and loved the movie adaptations. If not *the* template, it's a highly influential drama/melodrama/psychodrama play that's influenced generations of playwrights, TV writers (hey, with that vengeful ghost, it's a natural!). After mice destroyed my original book, I purchased a new copy for my daughter for *her* high school English class. While Macbeth wasn't her favorite (Romeo & Juliet was) and the language was something of a slog for her, it did capture her imagination while it was the focus in the classroom. As for the play itself? If you haven't read it or at *least* watched a version of it on film, you're missing something!
on July 2, 2015
First let me say that this is not my typical reading fare, I tend to enjoy mysteries and history, but the snippets of Shakespeare I have read over the years have always fascinated me so I thought I would give one of his works a try. I can only say that I love this book, and find myself reading some passages aloud! For me, the annotation is sorely needed, but with it I don't find myself struggling like I remember doing with "Hamlet" 50 years ago in high school.
on February 10, 2017
I really like the Folger edition of Shakespeare's plays. They have vocabulary and explanations on the left side of the page and the full unabridged play on the right side of the page. This has been great since you can skip the notes when they aren't needed, but they are handy when you run into something you need help understanding better. No need for a cliff notes book or looking annotations up in the back. These edition has made reading Shakespeare with my 11 & 12 year old reading group pleasant and fun and would be great for a a college student or anyone just wanting to enjoy his plays more.
on October 23, 2016
Great cover and quality. Nice, thick pages that leaves space for annotations and the edition has little explanations for interpretations and diction used. Really good for those who want to appreciate everything about the story. I like this much better than my Folger copy of Romeo and Juliet.
Also, the cover art is really cool and honestly that was what made me buy it over another copy.