- File Size: 1152 KB
- Print Length: 336 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1594484791
- Publisher: Riverhead Books; Reprint edition (September 7, 2010)
- Publication Date: September 7, 2010
- Sold by: Penguin Group (USA) LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B003XQEVIU
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,193,736 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #176 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Afghan War
- #251 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Iraq War
- #422 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Modern (16th-21st Centuries) > 21st Century
Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
As Patrick begins his military career, just like most soldiers, he is looking for the common ground where he can find good friends. Finding a good core group of friends can ultimately lead to success, without a tight knit group, there is now where to find solace. Enjoying reading, he soon creates the junior officer reading club where they can read and share stories of the tribulations that each member is currently facing and what they expect. The idea of finding a common group to share a passion is no different than most members of today's military. Each can share their stories, laugh and take in the moment. As the books, months and even years started to pass, so did the original members. Different units were deploying to different places and this is where Patrick Hennessey began to learn the most about him and eventually combat veterans in general. In the beginning, uniforms, rules and uniformity were the status quo and would lead to a successful military career. Once being shot at and seeing your good friends die in the battle field this can began to wear thing and not be nearly as important. As he began to witness this transition, he began to push aside the others (everyone without combat experience) for they had no idea what it took to be in his shoes. After returning home from Afghanistan, Mr. Hennessey realized that life would never be the same. Knowing that people would not know that sacrifices that were given during the battles, how would Mr. Hennessey continue living his life without some of his best friends that died?
The plot is similar to many war time veterans' stories, which depict the hardships that the soldier faces while at war. Knowing that some of your best friends may not return can be hard and this book does not waver from this idea. Where this book differs from others is the approach in the main character and how his life revolved around his men and how they affected the outcome and eventually him. Mr. Hennessey does a fabulous job describes these hardships and the affects and the changes that the men will go through. Seeing it from the eyes of their leaders, this so called figure of authority can alter the perception of the men. He does a great job in showing that regardless of either being enlisted or officer, that everyone is affected in some way or shape by warfare.
Afghan battalion whose commander's high motivation Hennessey clearly understood and respected, and Hennessey's accounts of strategies, tactics and combat are thought provoking.
Any YO should get a copy of this book before leaving RMA Sandhurst.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Afghan War
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Military > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Iraq War
- Books > History > Military > Iraq War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Afghan War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Military & Wars > Afghan & Iraq Wars > Iraq War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics > Military & Spies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military > United States > Iraq War
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Modern (16th-21st Centuries) > 21st Century