Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 30, 2015
This wasn't for me personally this is a Christmas gift for my little cousin who loved Jurassic World and he's been wanting the whole series. I've seen the first movie and I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen the rest so I can't comment on those. But, as for Gift giving ideas this is such a great product to give to someone for any type of occasion.

My cousin loves everything about dinosaurs and wants to study their fossils when he gets older. ( He's a cutie!) This has the first three movies in them but doesn't have the new Jurassic World included. There are other sets that have that one included. It's the collectors edition so it's very well packaged with its bonus features and deleted scenes. This is something I'd personally be glad to receive as a present.

If you are or know someone who likes science fiction movies this is a great gift to get. It'll introduce you into a new world!
on September 1, 2013
I had the older DVD trilogy of Jurassic Park. Then, when the 3D version of JP came out in April 2013, I toyed with the idea of rebuying it that way.
I did a lot of research and found that, yes the 3D is nice for those who want that and insist on it...HOWEVER...the "color timing" (color balance, rendition) is not as good as the 2011 release 2D Blu-Ray Trilogy version.

To see what I'm talking about, go to YouTube and type in "Jurassic Park Blu Ray Side by Side comparison 1080p"

This was enough to make the decision to me.

MY EXACT VERSION:
Since Amazon tends to lump a lot of movie reviews together, the version I purchased lists itself as: Import All Regions USN widescreen DTS Surround. UPC 5050582830767 Bookcase says: Universal 828 307 6 dot 11 Amazon: USIN B004KKXMSI

Package has absolutely NO mention of Dolby.

My Import 2D version has subtitles in English and 5 other languages.
It has (if you want to use it) a separate dubbing track in Japanese. I never saw an option for Dolby to choose in Setup. In my case, it didn't matter as my receiver decodes DTS.

PICTURE: Stunning (and I mean stunning). Exceptional. Color rendition is effortlessly spot-on. You can't get it better than this. Really. When I see the helicopter flying to the island in the initial scene..it is so pristine and clear that I'm transfixed. I lose myself in the story. None of the technical stuff of the video or sound ever get in the way of the story. It's that way throughout all of the movie. The only slightly weak stuff(technical integration onscreen)is when Sam O'Neill and Laura Dern (actors) first see the dinosaurs in the rolling hills and the scene with Sam O'Neill and the kids feeding the bracchiosaurus in the trees. But those two exceptions even certainly weren't "bad" - and they were short lived parts of the overall film.

SOUND: I played this using the English default DTS 7.1 surround. The sound mix is * stunning and exceptional * even on my mid-quality 5.1 system. Dialog was very clear, I did not have any desire to turn on subtitles.

Note: the other languages French, etc are in 5.1 mix.

Nerd / Techy stuff: I have a 60" LG Plasma HDTV fed and Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Ray player. The nexus of all my components is a Pioneer VSX-1021 receiver. Audio is output to Panasonic 5.1 speaker setup (Two 3ft towers, 2 smaller side channel -- inexpensive speakers from an older system) augmented with a Definitive Technology center channel (nice $300.00 dialog speaker I upgraded to). My Panasonic subwoofer is frankly nothing to write home about. The other "Panny" speakers are decent. The movie still sounds awesome.

Side channel mix and spatial effect was quite immersing and remember I'm only using a 5.1 setup. God knows how good it would be on a true 7.1 setup with a better subwoofer. This here is your demonstration disc! No matter, I enjoyed the movie greatly. The source quality given is so good that it pushes through and makes my system shine.

I have the belief that this movie was transferred on a spare-no-expense budget as a labor of love by geeks with the best bleeding-edge equipment.

SUMMARY: Take my review with this grain of salt: 3D is not a big deal to me. Frankly it's an annoyance. I never use the 3D feature even though my TV supports it. What * IS * a big deal to me is good color rendition, audio clarity and a naturally sharp picture without artifacts. THIS IS IT !!!!

If you go with purchasing the other, latest release, 3D version,.. realize that you will be gaining the 3D effect at the possible expense of having to put up with an overly tweaked color balance that is possibly inferior to this 2D version. (i.e. it may have an strong orange / teal cast). To each his own, your call.
on October 30, 2017
Whatever your feeling may be about the sequels, the original is a vital classic. And honestly I'm an occasional completionist who finds myself craving more at the end of the first film. While I don't particularly enjoy the same experience with The Lost World or Jurassic Park III as I do with the predecessor, there is still a curious appeal to the very moral depiction of man's hypocrisy when he plays God and then opts to destroy or incapacitate his creation, (like in Lost World), or to the mere prospect of a island environment "bird cage" which houses pteranodons, (as in JP3).

Every disc offers superior sound quality and superior-to-adequate picture quality. Special features are thorough and informative. For fans of the franchise, this is a must-have. For casual observers, this is a worthy purchase of a movie series that became a mainstream phenomenon.
on March 29, 2013
I don't always replace DVDs with Blu-ray even though they typically are better visually and have improved sound. Let's face it, that can get expensive. But movies that we really enjoy that have great backgrounds or special effects are definitely at the top of the list. This trilogy should be near the top on anyone's list. After reading a review indicating the sharpness difference when they ran a DVD side-by-side to the Blu-ray I was convinced. They were right about the difference. I could tell as soon as they ran the Universal intro. The difference is amazing and my wife and I both were impressed. The Blu-rays include many extras which you can see give you a lot of extra value:

Jurassic Park
Theatrical Trailers
Montana: Finding New Dinosaurs
DVD-ROM Features
JP Institute

I highly recommend this Jurassic Park Trilogy Blu-ray set.

CA Luster
on July 29, 2017
I bought this after the last Jurassic movie came out!! Glad I added it to my collection. I bought the dvd's before but today everything being blu Ray and 4K it only seemed right, I know a lot of money to keep upgrading but worth the spend. If your a true movie buff and collector, you don't think about the cost. Just the great writing and plots and new story lines. :o)
on October 7, 2014
First, I'm very happy having a 3D Jurassic Park movie. It is really well done. The scenes are clear and crisp where I wanted to run my fingers in the grains of sand. Getting the two sequels on blu-ray makes this trilogy worth (Amazon Deal) $30.00.

Second, it's difficult (actually for reader's) to determine the exact product (movie trilogy) you may consider since Amazon mixes the various formats, along with actual movie reviews, into one review section. I think there should be a separate section for movie reviews and even separate sections for the various formats.

As for the movies, I really liked them all...the original being my favorite, again, very happy to have excellent 3D. The sound quality is superb including a 7.1 Dolby output. The 5.1 Dolby sound is really just about as good. You can really feel like you are sitting in the middle of the action. If you haven't seen these movies, the first movie introduces dinosaurs (cool) and the second movie also has dinosaurs that run amok and the third movie has dinosaurs that have taken over.

Overall, I'm glad to have these movies in my collection. They're already classics.
on November 2, 2016
How can the Jurassic Park Trilogy not be the best ?! My grandchildren love anything to do with dinosaurs, so I ordered this for them.......now they've seen all 4 Jurassic movies and want to know when #5 is coming out......at any rate this is a really nice set from the the box to the 2 bonus feature discs.
on March 12, 2017
I bought these for the digital copies and they won't work although the description says "region free" These movies are great but I already owned the blu-rays and wanted the UltraViolet ones as well. I have a complaint in to UltraViolet who sent me over to Universal. They have all my info and I'm waiting to see how this is resolved. I will be returning this set if I can't get the codes to work. Disappointed!! The codes haven't expired I just get the error "won't work in this region"
on June 23, 2015
I never saw any of the Jurassic Park movies when they were out - a fact my husband could never wrap his mind around. We've been married since we were 19, and I didn't get into dinosaurs until my mid-30s. Watching the JP trilogy has been on my To-Do list for a few years now, and I hadn't made time to buy the movies and watch them. With the new JP coming out, my husband wanted me to see these so we could see the new one together.

First, I think $15 is great for this trilogy. I didn't feel ripped off at this pricepoint. And the movies? They were terrific. A someone late to the enjoyment of dinosaurs, I felt a little like a kid watching these movies. At 40, you don't have as many moments where you feel reconnected with what it was like to have a childlike fascination with something. I experienced that sort of nostalgia with these movies. The awe of seeing the big creatures on the screen. My attention was utterly captivated the whole time.

I'm glad I got to see these three before watching the new JP.
on November 13, 2011
In the light of so many negative customer reviews of this set, I decided, before writing this review to do a direct comparison between the DVD version of Jurassic Park vs. the Blu-ray. I made it a point to set my BD player audio compression to wide range and set the volume levels for each version to be approximately at the same level for the spoken dialog to give each version a fair comparison.

I chose four sections to compare:

1. The scene at Sam Neill's dig beginning with the brushing away of sand from a fossil.
2. The helicopter ride into Jurassic Park.
3. The first encounter with the brachiosaurus beginning when the jeeps come to a stop and Sam Neill and Laura Dern first see the creature.
4. The night storm scene with the T-Rex encounter.

All of the above begin at a chapter change of both disc versions, making them quick to locate.

The video: In no instance can the DVD version compare with the Blu-ray.

In scene 1, the sand particles are fully defined in the Blu-ray and are a blur with the DVD. When Sam Neill rises into the frame the landscape is richly defined in the Blu-ray until the camera refocuses onto Neill's face. Later we see the sheen of sweat on Neill's face with the Blu-ray which is not noticeable at all with the DVD. The improvement in facial definition of the people standing behind Neill when he is lecturing them.

In scene 2, the improvement in the definition of the sea water below the helicopter, the facial definition of the passengers, the clear definition of the weave in Sam Neill's hat. Later the foliage clarity as the helicopter (a miniature, I believe) flies through the canyon.

In scene 3, the improved definition of the tree foliage which is a blur with the DVD and outstandingly defined in the Blu-ray. The definition of the details of the creatures they are observing.

In scene 4, the improved details in the night scene, objects really look wet from the rain. The amazing definition of the wet scales of the T-Rex.

The audio: When I first heard the audio of the DVD, I knew that it was shamefully compressed compared with the LD (Laser Disc) issue that I still have. Also missing were the fundamentals in bass sounds which also have been fully restored with the DTS sound track of the Blu-ray.

In scene 1. When the seismic charge in detonated, you can feel it in the floor with the BD. Not there at all with the DVD.

In scene 3. When the brachiosaur rises on its hind legs and howls, it is really loud with the BD, terribly compressed with the DVD.
When it falls back down onto its forelegs, you feel it in your chest. No such thing with the DVD.

In scene 4. The sound of the thunder, the bass elements of the T-Rex growls, the thumps of its footsteps are all very powerful with the BD and missing in the DVD. When the T-Rex howls at the children and they clap their hands over their ears you hear why they are doing it with the Blu-ray.
The DVD doesn't capture this at all.

The above noted audio differences will not be noticeable at all when using standard TV speakers. A decent home audio system is required with the Blu-ray player set to wide range audio (least compression). I recommend monitoring your volume setting carefully at first to safe-guard your speakers.

I can say without reservation that all three of the films in this collection benefit immeasurably with the Blu-ray format in picture and sound.

The films themselves:

Jurassic Park: Of course the film most people will remember because it made the greatest initial impression. It deserves to be remembered because nothing quite like it had been previously accomplished from a technical standpoint. It's an enormously entertaining and absorbing picture with a fine cast and somehow manages to convince you of the possibilities implied, at least for a while.

The Lost World -- Jurassic Park: The most disappointing of the three, especially considering that it was directed by Spielberg. It more resembles a "monster movie" in the class of "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" or some such -- one highly improbable crisis after another. There are a few CG errors noticeable even in the DVD version. In the stegosaurus scene, the creature's front foot suddenly unrealistically moves horizontally in the pond water without being lifted, which should have been corrected.

Jurassic Park III: An interesting title considering that there is no film titled Jurassic Park II. Still, a greatly entertaining film in the style of a grand adventure. The search for the missing young boy makes the story more compelling. This film also benefits from a fine cast which the second film generally lacks.

I would have preferred the packaging to be similar to the book form used for the "Star Wars" saga in the interest of saving shelf space but I certainly find the collection to be very entertaining and technically very impressive.
5150+ comments| 668 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse