Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on October 12, 2010
The original Just Dance was the first dance video game to feature "real moves" to popular music. Before it, dance games were basically exercises in timing--stomping your feet on a mat or moving your hands to match an on-screen pattern. But with Just Dance, you weren't just playing a video game: you were learning real dance moves that you could take anywhere. And as you played the game over and over, you got a great workout without even knowing it. The game was a smash success, selling over 4 million copies worldwide. The game wasn't without its faults though, the biggest of which was the accuracy of the motion control. Even if you did the moves perfectly, sometimes the system wouldn't register them.

When you start out the game, the starting menu is refreshingly simple. There are three options: Dance!, Store, Extras. When you click "Dance!", you see three options: Just Dance, Dance Battle, and Just Sweat.

The "Just Dance" option gets you right to dancing to individual songs, just like in the original. Up to four players can play, each holding their own Wii remote. As in the original, you try to follow a mirror image of a silhouetted figure on the screen. Stick figures scrolling along the bottom of the screen will help you prepare for the next move, an indicator on the screen will tell you how well you hit your moves, and a "score gauge" will fill up with each correct move you make.

There's a great selection of 44 new songs, with something for everyone. Whether you want to dance to Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas" or Outkast's "Hey Ya". I like Ubisoft's approach; while other music games tend to focus on just one genre, Ubisoft included something for all ages and tastes.

Some of the songs feature "Duet Mode". These songs are identified by circle icon with two figures standing with their back to each other. This is a neat new feature that allows two players to dance alongside each other with each doing different choreographed moves, so you end up dancing a neat little routine together. For example, in Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend", the dancers start by pointing to each other. Then, one makes air guitar-like moves for a while while the other swings her arms. Then, the two go back to synchronized motions. It makes for a cute dance routine.

The "Dance Battle" option takes players through five rounds of competition. Up to four players can compete against each other, and the winner of each round gets a point. The player with the most points at the end of rounds is the winner. You can mix and match from these modes to create different competitions:

- Classic: In this mode, players "just dance". The player with the highest overall score gets a point.
- Duet: This mode consists of all the "Duet Mode" songs. The player in the pair who scores the highest gets a point.
- Simon Says: In this game, while dancing an icon will appear randomly for each play while dancing (Stop, spin around, clap). The player must perform the action accurately to score points.
- Medley: In this mode, each player has to dance to five song samples.
- Race: This is a frenetic mode where each player has to fill their score gauge to win the round.

"Team Battle" is the same as "Dance Battle", except that it allows up to 8 players to play in two teams (they don't all play at the same time, the system will separate the players in the teams and display the players' names when it's their turn). This is great to have at parties where you have can get lots of people playing together and rooting their own team on.

My favorite new feature, of course, is "Just Sweat" mode. In it, you set an objective of calories you want to burn, and then you just dance away until they're burned off. 30 minutes dancing sure beats 30 minutes on a boring treadmill or exercise bike, as you not only burn calories away, you get practice learning the choreographed dance moves. And after dancing to the fast part of "Proud Mary", let's say I have newfound admiration for Tina Turner!

The new "Store" option allows you to buy downloadable content, which will even further expand the playability of this title.

And now the answer to the burning question you've been waiting for: did they really fix the poor motion tracking?

The answer is, happily, yes! Even though the game still uses only one Wii remote, and still doesn't even need MotionPlus, I'm happy to say that the motion tracking picked up my motions almost perfectly. It was even accurate not just to my timing, but also my arm movements and angles. The game developers made a vast improvement over the original in this department.

Overall, Just Dance 2 is a worthy successor to the original. The improved motion tracking is just what the doctor ordered, and they made the game even more fun for people playing together. Highly recommended.
943 helpful votes
944 helpful votes
2020 comments|Report abuse
on October 3, 2014
When I saw this Wii game, I knew this was going to be Santa's gift to me this year. The kids too love it. My 8 year old wins the crown everytime and so he loves competing with mom to win which means more exercise for all.
The selection of songs is great and it even includes a Bollywood song - a pleasant surprise for me. The different options of playing this game add to the fun. When I am by myself, I choose the 'Just Sweat' option to get my exercise. With the kids, the option we choose is 'Just Dance' or 'Dance Battle' and we have chosen all the different modes there:
Classic - This is like the Just Dance mode
Simon Says - Like the popular game, players have to do what Simon Says - stop dancing, clap your hands etc - and doing it correctly means more points.
Medley - Players dance to a medley of five song samples
Duet - Like classic mode but has Duet Songs
Race to the end - To win, players have to dance till their score card is filled up.
All in all - this is the funnest way to exercise by myself that I have found so far and the funnest way to get the whole family to dance to one tune.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on March 5, 2014
Just dance 2 is a great game! When I read the song list, I only knew one or two songs, but I've had it for about two weeks now, and I LOVE every song on there! I would recommend this to a lot of people! It's crazy fun! If you have peered at this before, you should get it, and you will not regret it, I'm sure of it!

I'm not really sure why anyone would rate this one star, out of ALL just dances' (1, 2, 3, 4, and 2014, by the way, those are REAL fun, also! I'd highly recommend all those as much as I'd recommend JD2) I think this one is the best! (Although, the other just dances above that are a higher improvements then this one) I DO like the dance moves, but It might be a little fast for some people.

The oldest song is- The frighteners "Monster mash" Which is 1963 And the most recent is- Ke$ha with her song "Tik Tok"

I DO have to say now, that they bleep out all inappropriate words with three periods it will look like this in the lyrics at the bottom left corner in some songs

I'm...Precious (that's from Avril Livine's song, "Girlfriend")

So I really like that feature

Just dance 2 is a HUGE improvement from Just dance one. Also, If you want to make a personal name, click on "Sunny" At the top of the starting of the dance, then there should be an "Add person" Once you click on that.

I love that it shows your score, which JD2 is the only just dance that shows your score. I also like that at the very end of every song, It'll show the percentage of how much perfects you got (Or the percentage of the highest score possible for that song) By the way, the highest score possible for every song is about 12,600. I love to challenge myself on getting over 12,000 for songs!

Also, I see that some of you were disappointed because Katy Perry's song "Firework" wasn't on there, it is (At least on the wii it is), all you have to do Is go to the shop and download it!

One more thing, remember, This game sold over 7.5 Million times!

I hope This comment was helpful to you, and will influence your decision!
3 helpful votes
on October 13, 2010
I can officially say that this is the first game I have ever pre-ordered and it was well worth the wait! I have been using the first version as my cardio workout for the past four months and was excited, yet hesitant, for the new one to arrive. The dance moves are definitely faster and more difficult than the first version, with a great new mix of songs. I was intimidated at first, but my 12 year-old daughter and I played each song we selected a couple of times to get the moves down. We ended the session with an exhausting two rounds of Proud Mary...WOW...that one will definitely be a part of my daily workout! I can't wait to try more songs and the "Just Sweat It Off" mode tonight to actually measure the calories I'm burning. Burning calories has never been this much fun!
163 helpful votes
164 helpful votes
on October 29, 2015
I love this Just Dance game. I think this is the best one of them all. I used to have it a few years back, ended up selling my Wii and games, then buying this game again when my roommate had a Wii. We play it all the time. I love how quick it came in also! I love the variety of songs on it. Ex: Proud Mary, Girlfriend, I Feel Good, Wake Me Up, Raining Men, Toxic, Power Up, Shoop Shoop, Tik Tok, S.O.S, FireWork, Rockafella Skank, That's Not My Name, etc. Wide variety!
3 helpful votes
on January 6, 2014
We had Dance, Dance Revolution for the Playstation before this, and it was fun, but difficult for my petite daughter to use since her feet had to hit the right spots on the mat that goes with the game. This is totally different. Hold a remote in your right hand and dance away! You technically only need to move your right arm where the screen person is cuing you, but I actually think it would be difficult to do it accurately standing still.

Warning: You will sweat. And be sore if you are out of shape. Ask me how I know.

Make sure to hold the controller exactly how they instruct you on the screen before you play. My daughter had much better scores after she changed her grip. She was starting to get frustrated the first day before we discovered that a small change in position helped.

It's fun!
on January 7, 2011
I use this for exercise, although of course it can be done as a game. It is a fun workout option. Some songs are better for fitness than others, but only one really doesn't seem to work for me. One of the wonderful things about this game is that it doesn't matter if it records your move properly or not; the song keeps playing and the game continues. (I've stopped using the EA Sports Active because it is too frustrating having to either repeat or pause while the unit figures out what you have done.)

There is an option they call 'Just Sweat', however I don't recommend it because it has a long pause between songs while you select the next one. It is more effective to go into the 'Just Dance' section, and use the random song option. There is still a slight pause between songs, but you can keep moving to keep your heart rate up. If you are a regular exerciser, you will have to modify a few of the moves to make the routine more intense. Since the score doesn't matter, it is easy to do this.

The song mix is varied, and every song probably wouldn't be on anyone's regular play list. But the variety makes the workout that much more fun, I think. The random song selection option is what puts this above an aerobic DVD; it is different every time.

I gave the game 5 stars over all, although I would dock a half star if I could because of the pauses between songs in the supposed 'workout' section. Definitely recommended overall, however. I have to read reviews of the original Just Dance to see if it has the best features of this version (wii-mote accuracy doesn't matter; random song selection that keeps going).
on November 7, 2010
You won't be disappointed with Just Dance 2. It is for the WII. I had already mastered the dances in Just Dance 1, and was very excited to see they came out with Just Dance 2. The dance moves and songs are very energetic, and I believe even more fun than Just Dance 1. You also earn "gold stars" along with each dance, if you master the dance along with the character and keep up with the dancer during "gold star" moves. I created a sheet that I keep track of the dances I do, to see if I can improve my score each time. It is a lot of fun, to me even more than Just Dance 1, even though I enjoyed it too. You will not be disappointed with Just Dance 2. You will feel like a real dancer once you master the routines. I have yet to go through all the songs. I have read from many people wondering if there was a way to get more songs, well, yes, now it's out. You can. I highly recommend this for the WII and for those of you that love to dance to upbeat songs.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 2, 2011
I echo all the positive comments made by other reviewers, though I'm probably coming from a different place. My kids occasionally play "Just Dance" and "Just Dance 2" for competitive fun. I play them by myself for work-out fun.

I LOVE this game! It is more than just aerobic exercise. You are twisting and turning, loosening up all those muscles: you are using your arms as well as your legs; if you pay attention on how to do certain steps, you are using those all important stomach muscles (which help your back). All this while having fun.

For myself, I like the music selection more on the original Just Dance, as it has more "oldies" mixed in. But the music on Just Dance 2 is just as fun and energetic and hard work. For younger players, I think one of their criticisms of the original Just Dance was that it didn't have more contemporary music!

Highly recommended!

Happy Reader
on December 19, 2010
As an avid user of Konami's Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party games for the Wii, I was very excited about the original Just Dance when it first debuted -- only to find myself frequently frustrated by the extremely poor motion tracking, which led to constant "misses" even when I hit the moves exactly right. With games like this, I don't feel that the aim is necessarily perfect scoring, just having fun -- but it gets frustrating to consistently get negative feedback when putting in your best effort.

OVERALL: With the new Just Dance 2, it's like a whole different game. The motion tracking is VASTLY improved, making for a much more rewarding gameplay experience. It's still not spot-on (in large part thanks to the limitations of the Wii's own motion-tracking system), but if you have played Just Dance 1, you will absolutely notice the difference. The track list is extensive (about 40 songs included), and the choreography more interesting, complex, and full-body. The graphics are more elaborate and detailed, though that was never a major point of interest for me. Frankly, in comparison, my beloved DDR is pretty boring and static -- and lately the DDR mat is gathering dust in the closet while I happily flip on the Wii every day for a few songs of Just Dance 2. The dance experience is just much richer, and -- for someone who is not a hardcore DDR fan & into the J-pop songs on DDR (as I am not) -- the song selection is leagues better than that of DDR.

SONGS: There's a nice selection of recent pop hits (Avril Lavigne, Vampire Weekend, Ke$ha, Ting Tings, etc.) and older favorites (some great 80s numbers like Madonna's "Holiday" and Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" -- and "Proud Mary" will give you a whole new respect for Tina Turner), and I am particularly excited about the ability to download songs from the new and expanding Just Dance online catalogue. I am, however, deeply disappointed that there is no way for Just Dance 1 owners to unlock the contents of the first game via Just Dance 2, as DDR Hottest Party offers, and I don't understand why this was not included as an option. I would really like to see this implemented, and I think the addition of challenges to unlock new songs (as in the DDR games) would add more long-term interest to the game.

PHYSICALITY: The new "Just Sweat" gameplay option is a nice addition, though its peculiar point system doesn't directly correspond to calories burned or anything so convenient. To my best estimation, 1000 "sweat points" is equivalent to roughly 100-150 calories. Do be warned that if you decide to change your workout level (there are three options of goals to aim for: easy, intermediate, intense -- intense is about 6 songs per day), it will erase all of your workout data thus far, which is annoying. Every song indicates the difficulty of choreography (on a scale of 1 to 3), and the intensity level as far as aerobic effort (likewise on a scale of 1-3). The game offers an option to sort songs by choreography difficulty and intensity level, which is really useful if you want to warm up to more intense songs, and/or keep to songs that are simpler in their choreography. The two don't always go together -- there are some songs with complex choreography that rate low on the effort scale, and some that are "simple" but will get your heart pumping. I find this helpful, as my willingness to sweat it out definitely outstrips my ability to correctly execute complicated dance steps. ;)

MOTION-TRACKING: You do need to hold the remote as indicated, as it's sensitive to the angle, and you'll get better results by really putting your oomph into the move -- regardless of what people say about playing the game on the couch. It's sometimes taken me a few tries through a song to figure out what angle they *really* want my arm at, or what slight imprecision in the non-action part of a move is throwing my score off, but it's actually surprisingly easy to work it out, if the game is sometimes a little...precise in its demands. Even so, the scoring is a bit more generous than in Just Dance 1, and you won't find yourself as heavily penalized for not getting it *exactly* right as in the previous versions -- high scores can be yours, even with occasionally imprecise motion tracking!

I've had the game for a few weeks now, and Just Dance 2 has quickly become my favorite game purchase of the year, and probably my favorite game for the Wii. With the improvements made in this version, I already can't wait to see what Just Dance 3 will look like.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.