Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Just Dance 2 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on October 12, 2010
The original Just Dance was the first dance video game to feature "real moves" to popular music. Before it, dance games were basically exercises in timing--stomping your feet on a mat or moving your hands to match an on-screen pattern. But with Just Dance, you weren't just playing a video game: you were learning real dance moves that you could take anywhere. And as you played the game over and over, you got a great workout without even knowing it. The game was a smash success, selling over 4 million copies worldwide. The game wasn't without its faults though, the biggest of which was the accuracy of the motion control. Even if you did the moves perfectly, sometimes the system wouldn't register them.

When you start out the game, the starting menu is refreshingly simple. There are three options: Dance!, Store, Extras. When you click "Dance!", you see three options: Just Dance, Dance Battle, and Just Sweat.

The "Just Dance" option gets you right to dancing to individual songs, just like in the original. Up to four players can play, each holding their own Wii remote. As in the original, you try to follow a mirror image of a silhouetted figure on the screen. Stick figures scrolling along the bottom of the screen will help you prepare for the next move, an indicator on the screen will tell you how well you hit your moves, and a "score gauge" will fill up with each correct move you make.

There's a great selection of 44 new songs, with something for everyone. Whether you want to dance to Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas" or Outkast's "Hey Ya". I like Ubisoft's approach; while other music games tend to focus on just one genre, Ubisoft included something for all ages and tastes.

Some of the songs feature "Duet Mode". These songs are identified by circle icon with two figures standing with their back to each other. This is a neat new feature that allows two players to dance alongside each other with each doing different choreographed moves, so you end up dancing a neat little routine together. For example, in Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend", the dancers start by pointing to each other. Then, one makes air guitar-like moves for a while while the other swings her arms. Then, the two go back to synchronized motions. It makes for a cute dance routine.

The "Dance Battle" option takes players through five rounds of competition. Up to four players can compete against each other, and the winner of each round gets a point. The player with the most points at the end of rounds is the winner. You can mix and match from these modes to create different competitions:

- Classic: In this mode, players "just dance". The player with the highest overall score gets a point.
- Duet: This mode consists of all the "Duet Mode" songs. The player in the pair who scores the highest gets a point.
- Simon Says: In this game, while dancing an icon will appear randomly for each play while dancing (Stop, spin around, clap). The player must perform the action accurately to score points.
- Medley: In this mode, each player has to dance to five song samples.
- Race: This is a frenetic mode where each player has to fill their score gauge to win the round.

"Team Battle" is the same as "Dance Battle", except that it allows up to 8 players to play in two teams (they don't all play at the same time, the system will separate the players in the teams and display the players' names when it's their turn). This is great to have at parties where you have can get lots of people playing together and rooting their own team on.

My favorite new feature, of course, is "Just Sweat" mode. In it, you set an objective of calories you want to burn, and then you just dance away until they're burned off. 30 minutes dancing sure beats 30 minutes on a boring treadmill or exercise bike, as you not only burn calories away, you get practice learning the choreographed dance moves. And after dancing to the fast part of "Proud Mary", let's say I have newfound admiration for Tina Turner!

The new "Store" option allows you to buy downloadable content, which will even further expand the playability of this title.

And now the answer to the burning question you've been waiting for: did they really fix the poor motion tracking?

The answer is, happily, yes! Even though the game still uses only one Wii remote, and still doesn't even need MotionPlus, I'm happy to say that the motion tracking picked up my motions almost perfectly. It was even accurate not just to my timing, but also my arm movements and angles. The game developers made a vast improvement over the original in this department.

Overall, Just Dance 2 is a worthy successor to the original. The improved motion tracking is just what the doctor ordered, and they made the game even more fun for people playing together. Highly recommended.
2020 comments| 945 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 3, 2014
When I saw this Wii game, I knew this was going to be Santa's gift to me this year. The kids too love it. My 8 year old wins the crown everytime and so he loves competing with mom to win which means more exercise for all.
The selection of songs is great and it even includes a Bollywood song - a pleasant surprise for me. The different options of playing this game add to the fun. When I am by myself, I choose the 'Just Sweat' option to get my exercise. With the kids, the option we choose is 'Just Dance' or 'Dance Battle' and we have chosen all the different modes there:
Classic - This is like the Just Dance mode
Simon Says - Like the popular game, players have to do what Simon Says - stop dancing, clap your hands etc - and doing it correctly means more points.
Medley - Players dance to a medley of five song samples
Duet - Like classic mode but has Duet Songs
Race to the end - To win, players have to dance till their score card is filled up.
All in all - this is the funnest way to exercise by myself that I have found so far and the funnest way to get the whole family to dance to one tune.
on January 26, 2011
I'm disabled, I'm overweight, and I have nothing but medications fighting me against being in shape. I didn't have much hope in using a video game to get thinner. But, since I tried this one, I lost six pounds in less than 30 days, (of workout time- six weeks of normal time). It may not be earth shattering news for those who are losing 5 lbs a week, but for a gal who uses a wheelchair? Huge! The dog spends a lot of time trying to figure out what I'm doing waving around and screaming tunes off key. As he tries to howl along, I discover that I need to change a shirt drenched with leftover chubbiness. It's almost a perfect end to the day. (Perfect would be realizing that I'm back to a 3/4 like I was before being on prednisone.) My husband thinks my mood is improving. (What does HE know? ;) ) I kind of see that too.

So about the game... Everyone will say, it's not a game of great instruction. That's true. It's not like Gold's Gym Dance where you have an option of using two remotes to feel like you're accomplishing much. It also doesn't confuse you like an out of sync avatar that program has. You don't have a snarky Wii-Board giving you comments about how overweight you are. That's a relief. What you do have is music that reminds you what it was like to have your life on rollerskates, or dancing at your first school dance. It is bouncy, fun, and you can add more from the Just Dance store. I got to hear music I never would, including Techno and some Latin stuff. That is fun, too. So I am excited in hearing new music, and feeling younger by proxy. But the best part is, I can move my arms, sway a bit, and suddenly I have an hour of "exercise" under my belt. It's not feeling like that. It's feeling like 'Oh I'm a grown-up who gets recess? Cool!'

Do you have to have working legs? No. It helps to be able to do much of the steps, of course, but your arms moving can build up a bit of cardio. Do you have to have working arms? It would help to use the remote, but you can strap the remote to your hips, and wiggle about using the guides and still get some sweating done. OR you can even invite friends or family to join you and have friendly goofy competitive bouncing. It doesn't matter. It just makes you play like a kid again. Why not? Why do we have to be all serious and evil when we play games like FPS, or RPG's. Why not have some fun, turn off the IRS, the telephones, bill collectors, and just enjoy a few minutes a day? That's what this game is great for- and that's why I keep at it. If you're 84, like my Father-in-Law or your 46, like me, you can still enjoy feeling 20.

I look forward buying the older version, the kids version, and even the Broadway version if it means I can have this much fun.
on December 30, 2013
Reasons I love this game:
1. It has professionally choreographed dances to different types of popular songs from all genres and ages. If you spend enough time on each one, you will master the dance and actually improve your real life dancing skills.
2. The variety of the songs is perfect! I love all types of dance, am easily bored, and have not been bored for one second with this game. It has songs from the 20s-present, including tribal music and bollywood. I have seen people disagree with the inclusion of those types of music and I really hope the video game designers don't listen to them with regard to future versions. The tribal dances are my favorite (and they are also the best cardio!) I would be very bored if the dances were only the top 40 that play on KISS. How boring would that be?! I enjoy the variety of the dances.
3. Its equally fun by yourself, with a party of 8, or as a daily workout.
4. Rather that becoming less fun as you play it, your enjoyment stays the same or improves because you actually learn the dance and are performing a dance each time.
5. It's a good workout, albeit less good than most people think it is: a friend of mine actually wears a device that counts calories based on her skin temp, sweat rate, heart rate, and movement. It said she only burned 190 calories in half an hour with this. That sounds about right, based on the face that 30 minutes of difficult running burns about 300 calories. As with most activities, this doesn't burn as many calories as you'd think. The thing is, the it is so much fun that you will be much more inspired to do it than run and to do it for longer than running, so it equals out.
6. It's a very inexpensive version of zumba with better music that you can do in your living room while picking the songs.
7. It lets you go right into playing the game. You don't have to win anything or do anything. Just open up the package and start dancing to the tracks.

What I don't like about the game:
1. The controls are not very accurate. I have scored perfects on songs that I know I wasn't dancing perfectly to and scored constant "okay"s on ones that I was. This is a small inconvenience, as I am a very competitive person.
2. It doesn't let you set up a song list and takes a long time to load between songs.
^^^ These are recommendations for the creators and do not greatly distract from the fun of the game. I highly recommend it to everyone and have already bought two friends this game for Christmas.

PS I am a nearly 30 year old woman who generally thinks video games are a waste of time.
on October 13, 2010
I can officially say that this is the first game I have ever pre-ordered and it was well worth the wait! I have been using the first version as my cardio workout for the past four months and was excited, yet hesitant, for the new one to arrive. The dance moves are definitely faster and more difficult than the first version, with a great new mix of songs. I was intimidated at first, but my 12 year-old daughter and I played each song we selected a couple of times to get the moves down. We ended the session with an exhausting two rounds of Proud Mary...WOW...that one will definitely be a part of my daily workout! I can't wait to try more songs and the "Just Sweat It Off" mode tonight to actually measure the calories I'm burning. Burning calories has never been this much fun!
0Comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 6, 2014
We had Dance, Dance Revolution for the Playstation before this, and it was fun, but difficult for my petite daughter to use since her feet had to hit the right spots on the mat that goes with the game. This is totally different. Hold a remote in your right hand and dance away! You technically only need to move your right arm where the screen person is cuing you, but I actually think it would be difficult to do it accurately standing still.

Warning: You will sweat. And be sore if you are out of shape. Ask me how I know.

Make sure to hold the controller exactly how they instruct you on the screen before you play. My daughter had much better scores after she changed her grip. She was starting to get frustrated the first day before we discovered that a small change in position helped.

It's fun!
on August 7, 2012
Just Dance 2 is a fun way for the family to do more than just sit around the house. You not only get to listen to an awesome soundtrack and learn new dance moves, you get to burn calories while you do it! Just Dance 2 has the ability for 1-8 players to get grooving so there is no reason the whole family can not get involved. The dance moves are not dirt simple, you will have to put forth an effort, but they are not so hard that a normal person can not achieve at least some of them.

Just Dance 2 has a number of different options for game play: Just Dance which is just the normal game where you dance to your best ability to match the image on the screen, Dance Battle where you can compete to see who in the family was born to dance, and the Just Sweat option where you can choose a fitness program (easy, medium, and difficult) to help you meet your exercise goals. The game will monitor your actions to see how much effort you put in to get the moves correct and then show the sweat drops. As the sweat drops go up your level on your fitness plan will rise. Once you reach the goal you set the game will alert you that the goal has been met. You can keep on dancing or fall into your chair for a rest knowing you did it!

I do have a minor gripe about the game. On the fitness plan only one person can play at a time. This can be difficult if you are like me and dance with a child. If you do your fitness plan first you are too tired to dance with anyone and if you dance with them first you are too tired to care you are missing half the moves on your fitness plan.

Overall I give Just Dance 2 a 4 star rating and am very pleased that I purchased it.
VINE VOICEon January 11, 2011
One of the things I like about the Wii game console is the fact that it provides the potential to get people up and moving, rather than simply sitting and operating simple controls with their fingers while staring stupidly at a TV screen. I bought "Just Dance 2" for a few reasons:

1. To get more exercise myself

2. To hopefully get my stepson and my step-granddaughter up and moving and exercising more

3. To provide a form of entertainment that is really fun, as well as interactive

This game succeeds at all these! While I do have to admit that I am a generation or two older than most of these songs are intended for, there are a few that I can relate to and provide more than enough aerobic bouncing and moving to work up a sweat! When my 11 year old stepson visited the first weekend I had this game, and he was tempted to turn on Nickalodeon and simply veg out AGAIN, I suggested he take a look at this game. He didn't want to stop playing it all weekend!! He was up and moving and dancing as much as he could! And when his dad wouldn't play with him, my stepson and I had "dance battles" and played "Simon Says." This kid is a total video game junkie, and overweight to boot, so it made his dad and I so happy to see him so excited about moving!!

The game itself is fairly basic, though admittedly I don't think I've explored all the options, yet. The dances to the songs seem difficult, but really they are fairly easy to follow - the real trick is to add "finesse" to them! There are several different ways multiples of people can play: Classic (simply dancing along to the songs), Duet, Simon Says (individuals are provided with instructions to either stop, clap, or spin at various times during thier portion of the dance).

I can see where, eventually, this game might get old and a bit boring. Once one has mastered the dances or is bored with the songs, the game will no longer be played. But, is that really any different than any other video game on the market? And, I would suspect UBI Soft will develop a Just Dance 3 by then, yes?

My only wish, and I'm not sure how sucessful this would be, is to make these games with music geared toward certain genres. For example: Classic Rock, Country, Jazz. A lot of the songs on this game are ones I'm not familar with at all, are not of my generation, and I feel as though I'm simply following the moves. That leaves me with perhaps 5 songs that I can really get into. If there were dance video games with specific genres then I could have the ability to have truly 30 - 40 songs available to me, and that might make the video game last longer.

However, ANYTHING that gets my overweight stepson and overweight step-granddaughter up and moving - and enjoying it - is deserving of 5 stars +++!!
on May 14, 2011
We play this a lot and it is the universal, number one favorite dance game. It is tremendous fun and great exercise - if you like to dance, this is the one to buy.

Well-designed interface which is easy to figure out;
Excellent and varied music and dance selection - slow, fast, medium, classic 60s to the latest pop;
Motion-tracking works very well so you don't get frustrated with the game play;
Most of the songs are by the original artists, although there are a few poor quality copies mixed in;
Lyrics to the songs are displayed by default, but you can turn them off if you like (I like them on so I can sing along);
Dance performers are excellent and the details of the moves are clear - the dances were performed by people wearing motion suits, so the emphasis is on body movement, with no distractions for facial appearances. Even the costumes and video sequences are highlighted to emphasize the movements and make it easier to follow along, including highlighting the location of tracked controllers (i.e. right hand is highlighted if wiimote is being tracked in right hand), all of which really helps;
You are actually learning real dances which you can take out and use on the dance floor;
Duet dances so you can dance with a partner if you want;
Dance battles so you can play with a group;
Just sweat if you just want to dance for fun or exercise.
There is a warm up sequence under the extras menu, which is great to begin and end the game with.
You can purchase extra songs/dances (haven't tried this yet, but planning to do so soon!)

No training session; I would love a training section where each of the dances was gone over at a real slow pace for learning purposes, increasing in speed as you advance through levels/lessons. It would be nice to have an option to include dance tips and the names of some of the moves and more of the dances too.
40 songs isn't very many, especially with no training levels, so I really wish more songs/dance routines were included.
on March 5, 2014
Just dance 2 is a great game! When I read the song list, I only knew one or two songs, but I've had it for about two weeks now, and I LOVE every song on there! I would recommend this to a lot of people! It's crazy fun! If you have peered at this before, you should get it, and you will not regret it, I'm sure of it!

I'm not really sure why anyone would rate this one star, out of ALL just dances' (1, 2, 3, 4, and 2014, by the way, those are REAL fun, also! I'd highly recommend all those as much as I'd recommend JD2) I think this one is the best! (Although, the other just dances above that are a higher improvements then this one) I DO like the dance moves, but It might be a little fast for some people.

The oldest song is- The frighteners "Monster mash" Which is 1963 And the most recent is- Ke$ha with her song "Tik Tok"

I DO have to say now, that they bleep out all inappropriate words with three periods it will look like this in the lyrics at the bottom left corner in some songs

I'm...Precious (that's from Avril Livine's song, "Girlfriend")

So I really like that feature

Just dance 2 is a HUGE improvement from Just dance one. Also, If you want to make a personal name, click on "Sunny" At the top of the starting of the dance, then there should be an "Add person" Once you click on that.

I love that it shows your score, which JD2 is the only just dance that shows your score. I also like that at the very end of every song, It'll show the percentage of how much perfects you got (Or the percentage of the highest score possible for that song) By the way, the highest score possible for every song is about 12,600. I love to challenge myself on getting over 12,000 for songs!

Also, I see that some of you were disappointed because Katy Perry's song "Firework" wasn't on there, it is (At least on the wii it is), all you have to do Is go to the shop and download it!

One more thing, remember, This game sold over 7.5 Million times!

I hope This comment was helpful to you, and will influence your decision!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.