Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on November 23, 2013
[note: I have written the same essential material for all 5 Just Dance "games" that I’ve reviewed, as some have noted--yes, because they all have the same essential problems, but the song lists change, so I do change that part. As long as Just Dance keeps putting out smutty songs and smutty dances, and perversely targeted at children besides, I will keep putting up this review, in the hopes that at least some people will be spared this stuff.]

I am amazed that no one has asked the obvious question: Why do the creators of this game want our kids--mostly our daughters--to listen to obscene lyrics? And if the songs are not outright obscene, they have thinly veiled innuendo. I think we need to ask—why would anyone want to peddle this stuff to kids? Maybe the makers and marketers of this stuff are so blinded by impurity that they don’t see it, but it is truly perverted to target this stuff to children.

Just do a search for the lyrics, you parents out there, for these songs:

Daft Punk. Pharrel Williams: "Get Lucky”. Smutty, smutty song. It is about exactly what is sounds like.

Katy Perry:"I Kissed A Girl”. About a girl kissing another girl to see what it is like, just for fun. So, now it’s not just s-x, but l-sbian s-x. Is this what we want our sons and daughter learning? “S-x is fun” is the message, the only message—not love, not unity between spouses, but just do whatever, with whomever. Bad enough message for adults, but for kids?

Jesse J and Big Sean: “Wild”. About s-x, and women lacking clothing from the waste up.

Robbie Williams: “Candy”: More s-x.

Robin Thicke and Pharrel Williams: “Blurred Lines”: s-x and using women like objects.

Nicki Minaj: “Pound the alarm”: More s-x.

As you can see, there is a lot about using women as objects, and women letting themselves be used as objects, all with dance moves that make them look like objects to be used.

And that’s just a sampling of the outrageous material on in this “game.” Look up more lyrics and see for yourself. All for your 10+ year old.

In addition to the songs, there's one more thing: the dance moves. I'd like to know who in their right mind thinks these are pure, wholesome, modest dance moves? I don't mean just the dance moves in regard to the offensive songs, I mean all the dance moves in these Just Dance games, whether the song is problematic or not. They are sensual moves, suited to young girls only if their parents want them to grow up to work at "gentlemen's" clubs.

Back to the songs. I know that many will say they just like the music. The trouble is, you still hear the words, even if you're not paying attention to them. Those words will still sit in your mind and imagination. Even if they change a few words, the message of these songs is still there. Really, unless a person wants their kids to live like the way they sing in these songs, why would you buy this? Or rent it?

Or maybe people are so lost to decency, modesty, purity, that they just can't see the problems with these games, with the songs or the dance moves. Well, start reading the lyrics; start wondering what's going on in a world where these things are considered good, wholesome fun for kids. And don't be naive--it's perhaps instinct to think the best of something or someone, but let's be honest--if it sounds like innuendo, like it has a double meaning, it probably does. And if it doesn't--well, why take a chance with your kids? You can't go wrong by avoiding these dance games.

We shape our kids by the way we live, by what we allow them to do, by what we allow in our homes, and by whether or not we live our lives according to what is good and right.

One more comment. Don't fool yourself by thinking you'll "only let them listen to the OK songs." Kids are curious, and they will dance to all the rest of the songs when you're not around.

That's my two cents. It won't be popular, but someone had to say this.

It's been mentioned to me there is also the "Just Dance for Kids" version. In reply to that type of comment:
All the kids I know who play this game (any of the Just Dance games; I have not seen the one for kids; given what the others are like, I would want to check it out thoroughly first) are in the 11-14 year-old range. That's because my daughter is 12. But I can't see how this material is appropriate for anyone who is young enough to be living with their parents. In other words, I cannot fathom how any parent would let a minor child imbibe this stuff. So I suppose it depends on what you mean by "child." I don't mean only very little kids, but any kids of a minor age for whom one is responsible. Why let them take this stuff into their minds and hearts?

That being said, I would ask any adult who plays this as well--"why on earth do you want to listen to this stuff?" It's like our world has become one vast sewer--making impurity and immodesty look like a wonderful thing, and saying it's OK to look at women like objects. So many of these songs are about that (and like I said, the dance moves are a lesson on how to dance in a sensual way). I think we all need to ask some serious questions. What are these songs about? Why do I listen to them? Are they helping me be a better person?

Addendum 2:
To comments that claim I should not "preach" to adults or speak from a "pulpit":
Parents need to know what they're getting with this game. It has nothing to do with a pulpit--it has to do with facts. And there are no other reviews that speak to the content of these games. As a parent, this is the kind of review I look for. But yes, I do wonder--and I think we need to ask--why we, as adults, would ourselves listen to this garbage? And we do have a responsibility, even without kids, in what we do, how we act, what we buy, and what we say is good. When buying a product like Just Dance, we, as adults, contribute to an atmosphere, a culture, that says we agree that this kind of stuff is good for kids ages 10 +, and good in general. All of this has a bearing on this product, whether or not we purchase it, and whether or not companies keep making this stuff.
1616 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2013
I've kept up with the Just Dance series from the beginning, and own almost all of them to date - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, Summer Party, Greatest Hits, ABBA, Michael Jackson - and now JD2014. Not only are they incredibly fun, but I also use them as my primary workout regime. In fact, I've been playing them for 20 minutes or more every single day since last December and have lost over 45 pounds with very little modification to my diet. I only mention these things so my later criticisms come off as more credible and not just the rantings of a casual player who simply can't keep up with the steps or hold the controller properly. Trust me, I know these games inside out, lol.

The Just Dance games are one of those rare instances where the next in the series almost always outdoes the last and they just keep getting better and better. Like I said above, I've played these games literally every single day for almost a year, so I was very ready for some new variety, and JD2014 doesn't disappoint in that area. There is a great selection of new and old tracks from around the world, some obscure and others more popular, including several that are in heavy rotation on the radio right now, like "Blurred Lines" and "Get Lucky," along with some that aren't even out on CD yet, like "Applause" and "Roar." Plus, most tracks have at least one - but up to three - alternate modes/choreographies that can be unlocked by earning in-game mojo points. The avatars for your player card are actually pretty cute, and the graphics overall are more colorful and realistic than ever before. (I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the Just Sweat mode as presented in part 4 where you had the "instructor" guiding you through your session with warm up and cool down periods, though others will likely be glad to see it return to its more traditional format.) The choreography as a whole is more intricate and challenging as well, and the developers really went all out to make this a striking and personal experience. With the wealth of content offered here there is no reason anyone should be bored with this game for quite some time.

However, we need to talk about the motion controls. In a nutshell, they're very hit or miss, and at times downright terrible. I did already admit that some of the choreography is more difficult than in past games, which is great and probably does account for some of it, but many times even the most straightforward of moves rarely scores a "Perfect," and it's not uncommon to receive an "X" for a gesture that may be as simple as slowly pointing your hand to the ground. At one point I sort of joked to myself that I'd probably get a better score just standing still for a few moments, so I tried it - and I did! What's that all about? And don't even get me started on the Gold Moves. They're so awkwardly placed, mostly as non-movements between poses, that landing one really is a random crapshoot that requires no technique whatsoever. The instructional pictograms in the corner are a mess; for instance, they may tell you to move your hand from your hip to your head, which sounds easy enough, but fail to mention anything about the three claps and full body turn in between. Even the moves that are correct still tend to be three or four beats ahead of the moves they actually correspond to, so it's pretty much a useless feature all around. Of course practice makes perfect when learning any new dance, and eventually it will come down to your own memorization, but it really is like somebody worked overtime to make sure you're already going into it facing some unnecessary trial and error. I'm not saying every song on the disc is a complete catastrophe like that, but maybe half the ones I've tried so far are, so definitely more than enough to not go unnoticed. Every Just Dance game has had a handful of "quirks" to watch out for, but after nearly perfecting the art of motion tracking accuracy in parts 3 and 4, it really shocked me to see it so degraded this time around, especially when almost every other aspect improved so vastly. (This isn't a complaint about gameplay, necessarily, but the mash-ups are pretty awful, too. Instead of the usual "who's who" compilation of dancers from past games, they use the same four or five characters from THIS game over and over again with the same set of boring moves that never register correctly anyway. If I see that chick in the blue denim shorts pop up in one more song I'm going to scream.) On the bright side, the points per move seem somewhat generous, so you can afford to biff 2/3 of a song and still end up with upwards of four stars.

Now, with reviews like mine that go against the general consensus, I realize people are going to have questions and try to pinpoint the issues on something I'M doing wrong, which I totally understand as I would normally do the same. Are your batteries charged? Is your controller calibrated? Are you doing the right move at all? And the answers are yes, yes, and yes. As much as I love these types of games they aren't exactly rocket science, lol. Anyhow, despite all that I'm giving this game a rating of three stars because what's good here is REALLY good. It honestly kind of pains me to say so because based on everything I had seen and heard about it beforehand I was fully expecting a 5 star experience. In the end I guess one's enjoyment of it depends on how "serious" of a player they are and what they intend to get out of it. For me personally it functions as a workout more than anything else and it's still a fun way to be active and stay in shape, so it really does suit my needs perfectly in that regard, and the points don't ultimately matter. But, at the end of the day, it IS still a game that's meant to be competitive and scored, even if only against no one other than yourself, and it just simply does not function properly as such so I have to knock some stars off for that reason alone.
1616 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 8, 2013
What I like about the Just Dance games, is that you can work out and have fun at the same time. I also like that every game is always better than the previous one, and JD 2014 is no exception!
Just Dance 2014 follows the same formula as the previous Just Dance games, but with new features. At the first time you play it, you get special avatars (if you have played previous JD games in your console) of characters of previous songs. The sweat mode is now more attractive, now you can choose the songs you want to play in sweat mode and not random ones, something I hated about JD4's sweat mode. The menu feels more organized now; you pick a song, and then there are all the modes (classic mode, mash-up mode, sweat mash-up, and sometimes the Broadway version, where one person plays the "star" of the song, and the other two are backup dancers), the graphics are awesome, and the choreographies are fun (you get to play extravagant characters, like a panda bear in Kesha's C'Mon, or a monster in the Ghost Busters theme song)! The choreographies are harder this time, but in my case I got 5 stars for almost all songs at the first time, so if you have played the JD games before, you may get 5 stars at the first time too.

But the best part of this game is the World Dance Floor. You can play against people from all over the world and win points to unlock different things.
Overall, Just Dance 2014 will be liked by fans of the series, and people who haven't played it before too, because you don't need to be a professional dancer to play this, you only need to have the energy to do it!
What I didn't liked about this game is the motion tracking: you can do a movement perfectly (or at least you think you do) and you get an "OK" or even a "X", while if you do a movement wrong you'll get a "PERFECT". I thought Ubisoft had enough money to make an amazing motion tracker, but anyway, if you do most movements well, you'll get five stars anyway.

Anyway, There is also a song for everyone; current hits for teenagers and young adults, international songs for international players, and old songs for older players. Everybody will have fun no matter the age! Buy it if you want to have hours and hours of fun! I highly recommend it.
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 1, 2013
i have the first 4 incarnations of this game (1-4), and I was rather happy about this one coming with all the new songs! I got the chance to play this at work this week, and I have to say I'm pleased with it. As always, there are some songs on the list I wonder how they are consider dance music, but the routines ususally make up for it. I can only imagine that it was money that kept Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" off the first four games, but it's finally HERE!! (Anyone remember when this first game came out and that song was playing during the commercial?? Never was on the game.... ^__^;;) Didn't get a chance to play it yet, but "Applause" was pretty good to dance to! This is obviously not a "deep" game (you have friends or yourself; you follow; you dance; you sweat; you have fun) so need to go on about how "easy" it may be. Some of those routines are killers! I'm a fan of Psy and know the original dance for "Gentleman" (yes yes, i know you all think Gangnam Style was better, if you even like him at ALL), but I'm kinda dissapointed with what they did. But again, some may like it this way. If you liked any of the first games, you'll like this with its Modes to dance with others, or just strick out on your own and unlock "All The Things!!" All in all, Just Dance 2014 is Just FUN!! So GO DANCE!!
66 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2014
We own Just Dance 2 and I loved that it had a mix of the current and easily recognizable older songs of multiple genres and time periods. The lyrics and choreography were entertaining and engaging for all ages, but still appropriate for younger kids.

I was disappointed to find out Just Dance 2014 was not the same. I bought this for my nearly 7 year old knowing that it was rated 10 and up. She loves Katy Perry and especially her newest song 'Roar' and that was my main reason for purchasing this version of Just Dance in particular. Quite a bit of this is not content I would deem appropriate for anyone under 13 or so. Blurred Lines, which I had not known the lyrics to prior to purchasing, is IMO highly inappropriate for a 10 year old (and certainly 7, but in all fairness, that's not the market age). I won't repeat the exact lyrics because it's not appropriate even here, but will summarize it by saying it involves lots of sexual suggests, "getting nasty", "up all night to get lucky", drug use. There were also quite a few other songs that were equally inappropriate for 10 year olds but this is one that sticks out the most. Along with the adult lyrics, there is more moves in JD 2014 with gyrating, shoulder shaking, etc that would be more appropriate for an older crowd than in Just Dance 2.

It's not all bad, Katy Perry's "Roar" is a great song, with appropriate choreography to go with it as well as the crowd pleaser YMCA by the Village People. But for now I'm left with taking away a Christmas present until they (also have an 8 year old) are more mature, and even then, I don't know that I want my child at any age gyrating and shaking certain body parts to lyrics about "getting nasty" and "I know you want it".

And yes I realize there is a Just Dance Kids, and also a Just Dance Kids 2014, but they are quite honestly (unintentionally) geared towards preschoolers. Not to mention the reviews are not honest with all the 'paid for' supposedly "honest" (yeah right!) reviews out there. My 7 and 8 year olds don't want to dance to nursery rhymes of hickory dickory dock and skip to my lou sung by kids, reminiscent of the numerous toddler mommy and me style classes we went to in their younger years. They want to listen to (appropriate) pop songs they hear on the radio sung by the artist themselves.
33 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 12, 2013
I didn't know Katy Perry's song I Kissed a Girl was on this, or I would not have bought it. That song is OLD, and it gets stuck in your head. It's not bad enough that it's on the cd, but they recommend it constantly so it's really hard to just skip it. If your like me, and you hate this song, you might want to skip this Just Dance. They could have chose any other Katy Perry song...she has a ton of good ones.
66 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 12, 2014
Daughter was so excited to get this and start playing it. Latest songs and dance moves are simple and complex but thats what the kids like nowadays. She and her friends are happy...I'm happy! Btw, Walmart was sold out so I got it here. However Amazon could have told me they shipped my other purchase that I ordered separately in with the same box.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2014
I bought this for my brother for Christmas and boy does he love it. He plays it every single day. Great music. Great workout. Fun and energetic. I love it. Some of the music I was even surprised it was on there cause I thought they just came out. Definitely a great buy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 4, 2014
kind of assumed they would have the clean lyric versions for most of these songs... not so much. And some of the dancing is inappropriate if you are buying this for kids.
on October 10, 2013
What I like about Just Dance 2014 is not only that they've added some great new features, but they've also kept what's worked from past versions.

Some of the things they've kept:

- Good motion detection. They've been continually improving motion detection on the Wii since Just Dance 2, and they've just about perfected it by finally supporting the Wii Remote Plus. It's not as precise as a Kinect or a Playstation Move, but it's still very good--if you do the dance correctly and hold the Wii remote correctly, you will get a high score. The Wii Remote Plus is a little less "forgiving" than in previous versions of the game, but as long as you use the proper technique (grasp the Wii remote like a baton with buttons facing toward you, don't twist your wrists while dancing, etc.) you'll do fine. (I was actually convinced that my Wii remote was broken when I kept losing points to a certain song, until my 10 year old nephew used the same remote and instantly got 5 stars on the same song. :P)

- Simple, fast graphics and animation. I much prefer to try to follow a simple silhouetted figure than an overly stylized, overly realistic character. And I love the sense of humor of the animators--in certain songs you might be dancing as a panda, zombie, flower child, or ghost.

- Just Sweat mode. You can play 10, 20, or 40 minutes at a time, or turn on "free mode" to count calories on any song you play during the game. As another reviewer has stated, you can't save playlists; one is randomly generated for you each time. You can customize the playlist each time prior to working out.

- Excellent variety of different choreography for each song. Each song comes with a standard set of dance moves, but for many songs you can unlock other variations, such as "On Stage" (where multiple players interact with each other as they're dancing in a musical), "Mashup" (which consists of moves from past Just Dance games) and "Sweat" (which maximizes moves that give you a great workout).

Here are some of the newer things in Just Dance 2014 I like:

- Dancer Cards. You can set up a profile, give yourself a nickname, and then any time track your total kCals burned in Just Sweat Mode, your favorite songs, your average star rating, and your online level. You can even choose from an oh-so-cute set of avatar faces to identify you, a huge improvement over the past when you could only be identified by color and a generic name like "Happy".

- Online gameplay. I wasn't sure if they could pull this off but they did. When you log on, you'll see an icon called "World Dance Floor" and see the number of online players dancing. You can join in and participate in friendly competitions, voting for songs, or just dancing with the group and seeing who gets the highest score. The good news for those who want to keep their online identities secure is that you're only identified by your Dancer Card nickname.

- A better points system. Unlike Just Dance 4 where you had to collect Mojo Points and then wait for a random thing in the game to be unlocked, Just Dance 2014 uses a "shopping" system where you can collect points and then use them to "buy" different things to unlock, such as alternate choreography or mash-ups.

- A great new mix of contemporary songs and oldies. I'm not sure why Amazon doesn't publish full lists of the tracks, but for your convenience here's a complete song list that lists artist, song name, and the number of dancers and difficulty level of the classic choreography. (They've done away with separate rating for difficulty and exertion, and have simplified it to easy, medium, and hard.)

One Direction - Kiss You - 4 - Easy
Sunlight Express - Nitro Bot - 2 - Medium
Jason Derulo - The Other Side - 1 - Hard
Ivete Sangalo - Dancando - 1 - Medium
(Free download) Katy Perry - Roar

There were a few things I wasn't crazy about:

- Headaches of getting online. It's just confusing having to sign in with a Nintendo account and then to have to create a separate Ubisoft "Uplay" account. And there appear to be glitches in the early going of the system--for several times I tried to log on and I either got a "The Ubisoft servers are down" message or it just kept saying "waiting" until I had to reboot.

- The shared videos. I admit, after a while I found the videos that amateur users upload a bit repetitive and annoying, especially when they go through the automated editing process that shortens them. I'd rather see full dance performances from really good dancers, the kind you can pull up on YouTube.

Still, the negative aspects of the game didn't detract from the main gameplay, so I can let it pass. All told, the new features of Just Dance 2014 along are a vast improvement over Just Dance 4 and prior. Highly recommended.
22 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.