Lyft Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on October 10, 2013
I've kept up with the Just Dance series from the beginning, and own almost all of them to date - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, Summer Party, Greatest Hits, ABBA, Michael Jackson - and now JD2014. Not only are they incredibly fun, but I also use them as my primary workout regime. In fact, I've been playing them for 20 minutes or more every single day since last December and have lost over 45 pounds with very little modification to my diet. I only mention these things so my later criticisms come off as more credible and not just the rantings of a casual player who simply can't keep up with the steps or hold the controller properly. Trust me, I know these games inside out, lol.

The Just Dance games are one of those rare instances where the next in the series almost always outdoes the last and they just keep getting better and better. Like I said above, I've played these games literally every single day for almost a year, so I was very ready for some new variety, and JD2014 doesn't disappoint in that area. There is a great selection of new and old tracks from around the world, some obscure and others more popular, including several that are in heavy rotation on the radio right now, like "Blurred Lines" and "Get Lucky," along with some that aren't even out on CD yet, like "Applause" and "Roar." Plus, most tracks have at least one - but up to three - alternate modes/choreographies that can be unlocked by earning in-game mojo points. The avatars for your player card are actually pretty cute, and the graphics overall are more colorful and realistic than ever before. (I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the Just Sweat mode as presented in part 4 where you had the "instructor" guiding you through your session with warm up and cool down periods, though others will likely be glad to see it return to its more traditional format.) The choreography as a whole is more intricate and challenging as well, and the developers really went all out to make this a striking and personal experience. With the wealth of content offered here there is no reason anyone should be bored with this game for quite some time.

However, we need to talk about the motion controls. In a nutshell, they're very hit or miss, and at times downright terrible. I did already admit that some of the choreography is more difficult than in past games, which is great and probably does account for some of it, but many times even the most straightforward of moves rarely scores a "Perfect," and it's not uncommon to receive an "X" for a gesture that may be as simple as slowly pointing your hand to the ground. At one point I sort of joked to myself that I'd probably get a better score just standing still for a few moments, so I tried it - and I did! What's that all about? And don't even get me started on the Gold Moves. They're so awkwardly placed, mostly as non-movements between poses, that landing one really is a random crapshoot that requires no technique whatsoever. The instructional pictograms in the corner are a mess; for instance, they may tell you to move your hand from your hip to your head, which sounds easy enough, but fail to mention anything about the three claps and full body turn in between. Even the moves that are correct still tend to be three or four beats ahead of the moves they actually correspond to, so it's pretty much a useless feature all around. Of course practice makes perfect when learning any new dance, and eventually it will come down to your own memorization, but it really is like somebody worked overtime to make sure you're already going into it facing some unnecessary trial and error. I'm not saying every song on the disc is a complete catastrophe like that, but maybe half the ones I've tried so far are, so definitely more than enough to not go unnoticed. Every Just Dance game has had a handful of "quirks" to watch out for, but after nearly perfecting the art of motion tracking accuracy in parts 3 and 4, it really shocked me to see it so degraded this time around, especially when almost every other aspect improved so vastly. (This isn't a complaint about gameplay, necessarily, but the mash-ups are pretty awful, too. Instead of the usual "who's who" compilation of dancers from past games, they use the same four or five characters from THIS game over and over again with the same set of boring moves that never register correctly anyway. If I see that chick in the blue denim shorts pop up in one more song I'm going to scream.) On the bright side, the points per move seem somewhat generous, so you can afford to biff 2/3 of a song and still end up with upwards of four stars.

Now, with reviews like mine that go against the general consensus, I realize people are going to have questions and try to pinpoint the issues on something I'M doing wrong, which I totally understand as I would normally do the same. Are your batteries charged? Is your controller calibrated? Are you doing the right move at all? And the answers are yes, yes, and yes. As much as I love these types of games they aren't exactly rocket science, lol. Anyhow, despite all that I'm giving this game a rating of three stars because what's good here is REALLY good. It honestly kind of pains me to say so because based on everything I had seen and heard about it beforehand I was fully expecting a 5 star experience. In the end I guess one's enjoyment of it depends on how "serious" of a player they are and what they intend to get out of it. For me personally it functions as a workout more than anything else and it's still a fun way to be active and stay in shape, so it really does suit my needs perfectly in that regard, and the points don't ultimately matter. But, at the end of the day, it IS still a game that's meant to be competitive and scored, even if only against no one other than yourself, and it just simply does not function properly as such so I have to knock some stars off for that reason alone.
1616 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 12, 2018
I bought this just for cardio and because it's fun. I've had a few others. I am not a "gamer" so to speak so I'm not going to talk about graphics or go into a detailed comparison to other games. If you want to have fun, and like the songs listed, and just want to get moving, this works. I like the "Just Sweat" mode-choose your time frame, choose your songs, or let the game choose them for you, and just dance away. My heart rate stays in the 140-150 range if I just do the dances, I can get it to stay in the 160-170 range if I put a little extra bounce in my step and really get into it. Mostly I play for exercise, but I've also been known to bust it out when I've had a little wine and just feel like dancing :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 28, 2013
We ordered the Just Dance 2014. A package arrived and we just wrapped it, without opening it, and placed it under the tree. On Christmas morning, our son unwrapped the gift, and to our surprise, there was an Xbox game. Luckily, we had kept the Mailing package. It reflected there were two shipping labels. The bottom label was addressed to someone in Florida. Amazon's shipping label was held-way on top that one. Amazon's was addressed to us. I first tried to correct this problem using the Amazon website. Since this was an unique situation, nothing applied. I tracked down Amazon's customer service no. And spoke to a very nice rep. He politely listened to our problem. He ordered out the Wii game. We received it in two days. The kids love it. Amazon, we're quite impressed with the service. Everyone remained cool and calm, and the situation was fixed.
on January 8, 2015
"Hey! Look over here at this fancy background! Now look at this cool costume! (Nevermind the stupid, confusing choreography)!" I love the first four Just Dance games and play almost every day for exercise, but skipped the fifth one because it didn't have enough songs that I liked. I saw the song list for this one and thought it had enough good ones, and waited for the price to drop in half right before the newest one came out. I want my money back, half-price or no! It's all style, no substance. I've noticed over time that this game series is catering more to the teenage music crowd than a variety of music that appeals to the whole family, and the choreography tries to get fancier but just gets annoying. And it's more about the special lighting and sound effects than the actual dancing. I'm never buying another Just Dance game!
on October 15, 2014
Short Review:
Its a fun game for playing with friends and an easy way to make yourself workout should you not be inclined to. Be it a summer day or an extreme dislike for running this is something that's a great value at the sub $25 price, but that's all I can say.

It takes a very mobile approach to the selection and gives you so few options for a "console" game. You can be expect to be nickle and dimed the same way Guitar Hero or Rock Band operated. Want a truly new song? Go buy it for a buck each. The selection feels too small, it'd be mice if they offered a huge library and the user gets to select X free tracks to start off, with some being unlockable - a better model.
on September 2, 2015
I think the Just Dance games are fun no matter what but, this isn't my number one favorite. Could have possibly been the music on it of course. Although my goddaughters found the dance moves to be fun. No matter what you will still have a blast with any Just Dance game and also a bit of fun exercise so its not that I don't recommend it. I just think some of the Just Dance games were a bit better. Still don't regret the purchase since the price wasn't bad.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2014
We have Just Dance 2014 on Wii and Xbox. I love anything that gets my kids up and active. I hate when they sit around and play video games all day. This is great exercise for not only them but me as well. They have a "Just sweat" devoted to exercise, it even has a calorie counter so you know how many calories you've burned. Up to four people can play so all of my children can get involved (as long as you have extra wii remotes). I wouldn't label this as a "girls" game at all because boys love this game too. They have something for everyone. My husband felt like there weren't as many songs on this one but we love the selection all the same. I love this one just as much as I love just dance 4. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I am a good dancer and this one had a lot more "meduim and hard" songs so I felt I was at my own speed. The dances weren't that easy, which I really liked.

What I love the most about this Just Dance in particular that makes it stand out from all the others is that you can earn credits to buy more songs and dances by singing along and scoring high. On the other Just dance games you have to pay for any new songs with money.
on April 5, 2017
We dance every day with this game! It's a lot of fun for the whole family.
on February 5, 2014
I use Just Dance as my small cardio work out when I don't want the full-blown work out. I had Just Dance 3 and really enjoyed it but the songs did get old and it got boring after a while. I haven't gotten bored with 2014, mostly because of the online challenges. I love dancing with other people and playing on teams and still getting stars for my work! It makes it so much more competitive and challenging. I also like how I can dance to songs I haven't unlocked yet in online mode. I wish that Sweat Mode could be enabled in Online Mode.
on January 28, 2014
I have long enjoyed "Just Dance 2" and "Just Dance 3." For the beginning of a new year and a rededication to regular exercise, I purchased 2 new discs. I have really enjoyed this disc, and look forward to regular exercise instead of dreading it. There is a lot of variety, and the more you do, the more new routines are opened up to you, so it will be a long time before you get bored with it. I really enjoy the "Mash Ups," looking forward to seeing "dancers" from previous discs. If you enjoy dancing (even if you do it badly), this is an excellent way to exercise painlessly.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.