Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Just Dance 2014 - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on October 10, 2013
I've kept up with the Just Dance series from the beginning, and own almost all of them to date - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, Summer Party, Greatest Hits, ABBA, Michael Jackson - and now JD2014. Not only are they incredibly fun, but I also use them as my primary workout regime. In fact, I've been playing them for 20 minutes or more every single day since last December and have lost over 45 pounds with very little modification to my diet. I only mention these things so my later criticisms come off as more credible and not just the rantings of a casual player who simply can't keep up with the steps or hold the controller properly. Trust me, I know these games inside out, lol.

The Just Dance games are one of those rare instances where the next in the series almost always outdoes the last and they just keep getting better and better. Like I said above, I've played these games literally every single day for almost a year, so I was very ready for some new variety, and JD2014 doesn't disappoint in that area. There is a great selection of new and old tracks from around the world, some obscure and others more popular, including several that are in heavy rotation on the radio right now, like "Blurred Lines" and "Get Lucky," along with some that aren't even out on CD yet, like "Applause" and "Roar." Plus, most tracks have at least one - but up to three - alternate modes/choreographies that can be unlocked by earning in-game mojo points. The avatars for your player card are actually pretty cute, and the graphics overall are more colorful and realistic than ever before. (I think I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the Just Sweat mode as presented in part 4 where you had the "instructor" guiding you through your session with warm up and cool down periods, though others will likely be glad to see it return to its more traditional format.) The choreography as a whole is more intricate and challenging as well, and the developers really went all out to make this a striking and personal experience. With the wealth of content offered here there is no reason anyone should be bored with this game for quite some time.

However, we need to talk about the motion controls. In a nutshell, they're very hit or miss, and at times downright terrible. I did already admit that some of the choreography is more difficult than in past games, which is great and probably does account for some of it, but many times even the most straightforward of moves rarely scores a "Perfect," and it's not uncommon to receive an "X" for a gesture that may be as simple as slowly pointing your hand to the ground. At one point I sort of joked to myself that I'd probably get a better score just standing still for a few moments, so I tried it - and I did! What's that all about? And don't even get me started on the Gold Moves. They're so awkwardly placed, mostly as non-movements between poses, that landing one really is a random crapshoot that requires no technique whatsoever. The instructional pictograms in the corner are a mess; for instance, they may tell you to move your hand from your hip to your head, which sounds easy enough, but fail to mention anything about the three claps and full body turn in between. Even the moves that are correct still tend to be three or four beats ahead of the moves they actually correspond to, so it's pretty much a useless feature all around. Of course practice makes perfect when learning any new dance, and eventually it will come down to your own memorization, but it really is like somebody worked overtime to make sure you're already going into it facing some unnecessary trial and error. I'm not saying every song on the disc is a complete catastrophe like that, but maybe half the ones I've tried so far are, so definitely more than enough to not go unnoticed. Every Just Dance game has had a handful of "quirks" to watch out for, but after nearly perfecting the art of motion tracking accuracy in parts 3 and 4, it really shocked me to see it so degraded this time around, especially when almost every other aspect improved so vastly. (This isn't a complaint about gameplay, necessarily, but the mash-ups are pretty awful, too. Instead of the usual "who's who" compilation of dancers from past games, they use the same four or five characters from THIS game over and over again with the same set of boring moves that never register correctly anyway. If I see that chick in the blue denim shorts pop up in one more song I'm going to scream.) On the bright side, the points per move seem somewhat generous, so you can afford to biff 2/3 of a song and still end up with upwards of four stars.

Now, with reviews like mine that go against the general consensus, I realize people are going to have questions and try to pinpoint the issues on something I'M doing wrong, which I totally understand as I would normally do the same. Are your batteries charged? Is your controller calibrated? Are you doing the right move at all? And the answers are yes, yes, and yes. As much as I love these types of games they aren't exactly rocket science, lol. Anyhow, despite all that I'm giving this game a rating of three stars because what's good here is REALLY good. It honestly kind of pains me to say so because based on everything I had seen and heard about it beforehand I was fully expecting a 5 star experience. In the end I guess one's enjoyment of it depends on how "serious" of a player they are and what they intend to get out of it. For me personally it functions as a workout more than anything else and it's still a fun way to be active and stay in shape, so it really does suit my needs perfectly in that regard, and the points don't ultimately matter. But, at the end of the day, it IS still a game that's meant to be competitive and scored, even if only against no one other than yourself, and it just simply does not function properly as such so I have to knock some stars off for that reason alone.
1616 comments| 249 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 28, 2013
We ordered the Just Dance 2014. A package arrived and we just wrapped it, without opening it, and placed it under the tree. On Christmas morning, our son unwrapped the gift, and to our surprise, there was an Xbox game. Luckily, we had kept the Mailing package. It reflected there were two shipping labels. The bottom label was addressed to someone in Florida. Amazon's shipping label was held-way on top that one. Amazon's was addressed to us. I first tried to correct this problem using the Amazon website. Since this was an unique situation, nothing applied. I tracked down Amazon's customer service no. And spoke to a very nice rep. He politely listened to our problem. He ordered out the Wii game. We received it in two days. The kids love it. Amazon, we're quite impressed with the service. Everyone remained cool and calm, and the situation was fixed.
on January 5, 2014
We have Just Dance 2014 on Wii and Xbox. I love anything that gets my kids up and active. I hate when they sit around and play video games all day. This is great exercise for not only them but me as well. They have a "Just sweat" devoted to exercise, it even has a calorie counter so you know how many calories you've burned. Up to four people can play so all of my children can get involved (as long as you have extra wii remotes). I wouldn't label this as a "girls" game at all because boys love this game too. They have something for everyone. My husband felt like there weren't as many songs on this one but we love the selection all the same. I love this one just as much as I love just dance 4. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I am a good dancer and this one had a lot more "meduim and hard" songs so I felt I was at my own speed. The dances weren't that easy, which I really liked.

What I love the most about this Just Dance in particular that makes it stand out from all the others is that you can earn credits to buy more songs and dances by singing along and scoring high. On the other Just dance games you have to pay for any new songs with money.
on October 15, 2014
Short Review:
Its a fun game for playing with friends and an easy way to make yourself workout should you not be inclined to. Be it a summer day or an extreme dislike for running this is something that's a great value at the sub $25 price, but that's all I can say.

It takes a very mobile approach to the selection and gives you so few options for a "console" game. You can be expect to be nickle and dimed the same way Guitar Hero or Rock Band operated. Want a truly new song? Go buy it for a buck each. The selection feels too small, it'd be mice if they offered a huge library and the user gets to select X free tracks to start off, with some being unlockable - a better model.
on April 5, 2017
We dance every day with this game! It's a lot of fun for the whole family.
on November 24, 2014
Bought this for the kids since they love dancing and they really enjoyed the 2013 version. This version is not as good and many of the lyrics have bad words so we don't use it. Next time, I will rent it before buying it to make sure it will be used.
on January 7, 2014
Bought this to learn some moves. As an average white guy, I had no game at all on the dance floor. After playing this game for a few weeks, I was bagging the babes at a local dance club. Just a splash of hi karate cologne, a polyester shirt and I am the man on the dance floor, thanks to the moves I learned with this game. You too will score with Just Dance 2014.
on January 4, 2014
I've never had a wii game glitch before, and this one has glitches multiple times already, just about every other time I play it. The game has lots of cool new features like dancing with people all over the world through wifi, stage mode with different dance moves as if you are a performing artist, and more. It seems though that the game wasn't refined as much as it could be. When you select a song, it can take some time to load the continue button at the bottom of the screen. One time I was on the screen with my score after a song and it all of a sudden froze and a terrible sound rang out until I held down the power button on the wii. I tried lots of other things first and nothing happened until I powered down the wii. When I powered it back up, it worked fine. I expect it to glitch more though.
on January 27, 2014
As a JD fan, I was fully expecting to love JD2014. I find myself missing the JD3/4 song selection feature of ratings on overall / choreography difficulty and intensity. In JD2014, you can't see this during song selection, you have to choose the song to see if it's easy/medium/hard. I bought this game for my goddaughters and they seem to use the ratings on whether or not they should try the song because they often ask me if the dance is difficult or easy.

I also don't particularly like having the mojo coins. Somehow I preferred when it was integrated in JD4 where you got mojo points that would automatically unlock something for you versus spending the mojo coins to unlock a mash-up / extreme / sweat version of the song. I'm sure others like the control.
on January 16, 2014
My three Grandsons ages nine, seven and six are having a blast. We and their parents are getting some great entertainment watching them do their little dance moves. It is proving to be some great exercise and burning up some of the energy that is a challenge in the big city without it being a big production getting them out and about supervised. Concerned that the words in the music might not be to the parents liking but they are reporting it is fine and a great gift. Score one for Grandma..

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.