Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Just Dance - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on January 12, 2010
I admit, I wasn't expecting much when I first heard about Just Dance a few months ago. I figured it'd be just like another one of those games like Dancing with the Stars and High School Musical where you see characters on screen dancing, but all you're doing is waving your remote to match the visual cues on the screen. Ho Hum.

The first thing that struck me when I popped the game into the Wii was that these were fun songs from every era. They're all family-friendly, and there's something in the track list for everyone, from baby boomers to Gen X'ers to Gen Y'ers. Here's the entire track list. Most of the songs are not covers, but original tracks from the original singers.

Girl Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
Wanna Be - Spice Girls
Step By Step - New Kids on the Block
U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer

The second thing that impressed me was that this game features actual dance moves to the songs. In other words, not only are you playing the game, you're learning actual dance steps. You'll learn the "Mashed Potato" that was all the rage in the 1960's to Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time". You'll learn the best disco moves of the 70's with songs like "That's the Way I Like It". And my personal dream come true--you can dance like MC Hammer with "U Can't Touch This".

For the controller, they went for a decidedly simpler approach, and they hit a home run. For using one Wii remote, the controls are remarkably accurate as far as detecting whether you're dancing correctly or not. For each move, you'll be given a grade of "Great", "Okay" and "X". Now, I won't lie and say the controls are the most precise in the world. There'll be plenty of times you'll be doing the moves precisely, but the Wii will tell you you're not. But where this game triumphs is that even though the controls may be off, the game is so fun that you really don't care.

And you also find that the more you practice the moves and "feel the music", the better your scores become. If you've gotten to the point where you've memorized the dance and are just doing the moves to the music, your score will be great.

The game is simple. You choose a song, and then after a countdown from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, you'll see a silhouetted character on your screen doing the dance moves. The character is generally dressed appropriately for the song: a disco dude will lead you through "That's the Way I Like It", a cowgirl will do a two-step to "Cotton Eye Joe", and a dog (yes, a dog) will dance to "Who Let the Dogs Out". You basically just have to do the mirror image of the character's moves.

They also have multiplayer games. In the first game (Challenge), you can basically have a dance-off between you and up to three other friends to see who'll get the high score. Again, you don't mind in this case if the controls are not completely precise because you're all on the same playing field. In the second game (Strike a Pose), it's like a game of Red Light / Green Light where you have to freeze in your tracks when the music stops. The third game (Last one standing) is an elimination game where the person who makes the least mistakes wins the game.

As fpr the exercise value, with virtually every song, I ended it panting because I was out of breath, and even though I was out of breath I wanted to try it again and again until I got it right. To me, that's the sign of a great exercise game.
1111 comments| 901 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 18, 2017
I read the reviews of people who said they hated this game, while others said they loved it. I did read a few reviews that said if you tried the newer games first, that you'd hate the older/original ones. So I searched around and found the first 4 for super cheap via Warehouse Deals and bought them all. I actually like it. Some of the songs I'd never heard of, but most of them I had heard of before. One of the main issues I read in the reviews about was about the scoring, and how the game doesn't register your movement very well, if at all. Luckily for me, I don't care about that kind of thing for the most part. My scores were horrible and I thought I was doing a pretty good job of replicating the dancers moves on some of the songs. Then my four year old son wanted to play, so I set up a remote for him. There he was, jumping around and not even looking at the TV at the dance moves and he was getting a better score than me. I had to laugh and roll my eyes at that. So if you're all about scoring, and perfection with the moves, this game definitely is not for you. I like it because it's so much fun, that I didn't even realize how much exercise I was actually getting while doing it. That's the kind of exercise I need in my life, for sure! After a couple of times, our son was over it, since he's not really old enough, but I really liked it, and so did my fiancé.
on May 5, 2010
After playing for a few hours last night, I'm finally getting the hang of this game and enjoying it. It's frustrating to get keep getting X's when it seems like you're doing it right. I'm a hardcore DDR player, so I really wanted to get good scores, but when I searched teh internets, all the reviews of the game said one of 2 things:
A. The scoring system sucks, don't bother playing.
B. The scoring system sucks, so just have fun and don't worry about score.

But if you're like me, "have fun" and "don't worry about score" do not belong in the same sentence!

After figuring out some things about the scoring system, I'm breaking 10,000 points pretty often, and having A LOT OF FUN too!
So, here are some tips on how to get a better score (and therefore be less frustrated :D):
1. As others have mentioned, dance with your whole body. Not that the Wii magically senses your body, but because this keeps your body on beat, which keeps you on beat, which is important to your score.
2. Hold the WiiMote in your right hand, and keep your finger on the trigger. This keeps the WiiMote oriented in the way that the game expects. (e.g. If the WiiMote gets twisted in your hand, that will hurt your score, because when you make your hand mimic the dancer's hand, it expects the correct orientation).
3. On a related note, try to focus on exactly what the dancer's right hand is doing. Not the whole body, and not even the whole right arm, but just the right hand, because that's what you're graded on. (But still do the rest of the motions, because that makes the game more fun! :D)
4. I also have Cooking Mama, and playing that game taught me that there are only a few motions the Wii can sense, and to get the points, you need activate a specific sensor in a specific way. So, when you're doing a dance move, make your best guess as to which sensor it's looking for, and emphasize that motion.
The 3 main sensors I've seen are
A. The whip/flick. (The motion you would make if you were cracking a whip.) Just doing this on beat will get you a lot of points.
B. Upward thrust. (The motion you would make if you were stabbing with a sword.) You'd be surprised how many moves look like they want some kind of curvy motion, yet the WiiMote just wants you to push it upward (all at once, and on beat!).
C. Downward thrust. (The motion you would make if you were stabbing yourself with a sword.) Same story.
There you go. Do one of those 3 (the correct one! :P) on beat, and that's 90% of your points right there. I'm still getting X's, so I think there's some other sensors I need to figure out. Gotta keep experimenting.
5. If you're like me, then you want to get more feedback from the game, so you can improve. One way I did this was by playing in 2 player mode, with a WiiMote in each hand. That way, the game will tell you if what your right hand OR your left hand is doing is what gives you points for that move, which means you can figure out which sensor to go for that much faster!

Those are the ideas I have so far, and doing that has made the game fun even for a gamer like me.
Find a song you like, play it a few times in a row, and watch your score go up as you get better at the timing and knowing what sensor to go for. Getting better scores is a good feeling. :D

Some other pro/cons:
Pro: I like the song list. I'm surprised how many of these I know, even though the song is way older than I am! Even if you don't recognize the song from the tracklist, you'd probably recognize it if you heard it.
Cons: Tutorial is worthless (nothing beyond the obvious). I don't know why they didn't include some way of practicing your moves, like the practice modes in Cooking Mama and Playstation 3 The Beatles: Rock Band - Software Only. Also, one of my WiiMotes lost the ability to sense shaking while I was playing this game. :( I'm hoping there's a way to fix this, but I'm not that optimistic.
22 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 8, 2010
My kids play games on the Wii - I'm in it for the exercise. And if you can have fun while you exercise, how great is that!

I started out with Wii Fit and the balance board. Highly recommended, especially for the balance exercises. If you THINK you have decent balance, you will find out that you're kidding yourself. Next I went on to Wii Walk It Out. Wowser - it was so fun that I didn't notice how much I was walking.

Now I have Wii Just Dance and this is just sooo cool. Going by the scoring, I am really really bad, and I'm not arguing with that! But if there was a fun-meter, I would be at the top. It is really easy to see what the avatar (or whatever they call the dancing figure) is doing. Yet it doesn't feel like standard exercise tapes (which I have tried and conveniently lost). It isn't a cartoon figure, they used live people and it makes it so much better.

No matter what level you're at, you can do this dancing exercise. For example, make it easier by just doing the arm movements and leaving off the leg moves. (Which I have to do until I've played a dance a few times anyway.) Which brings me to another benefit over just walking - you use your whole body. Arm movements, hip movements, waist movements. You are using your whole body, again, making it as low impact as you need to.

Right now, my routine is to warm up with the low-impact stepping exercise on Wii Fit. Then I go on to the balance exercises on Wii Fit. Then I do a little harder walking on the Wii Walk It Out. Then I end with dancing on Just Dance. All of a sudden, the time has flown by and I'm late getting to an appointment.

Very Very recommended, and I pre-ordered Just Dance II

Happy Reader
This Wii game is a lot of fun but you can't be self-conscious or you'll feel out of place doing it.

There is a list of songs to choose from and two options for each song - short version and long version. As each song plays, it counts down to the start of the dancing at which time you are to start mirror imaging the person on the screen. The dancer on screen is a simplified faceless person taken from real video. I kind of wish they left the actual person there.

As the song plays, there is a visual cue as to what move to do next and well as a status bar showing how well you are staying in sync. Your success is based on your timing and movement in conjunction with the onscreen dancer. You can have up to four dancers at a time in a dance contest or you can do it by yourself.

The variety of songs is OK offering a little of everything. It is the original artists singing. Each song has a difficulty rating based on how hard it is to do the dancing and how much effort you have to put into it. The one thing that is a little annoying is that the movement is recorded based on the Wii remote being in your right hand. That makes your right hand do more work. After awhile, my right arm gets tired from all that swinging around and I'd like to be able switch to my left hand for a break. I guess there is nothing stopping me.

We have a lot of fun and don't mind looking like idiots trying to act like a puppy in Who Let the Dogs Out. My 6 year old daughter especially loves it and it's something we can do together while getting some exercise. After half an hour of dancing, you are sweating. If you aren't, you're not putting enough into it!
on February 19, 2015
We got this for my sensory perception disorder child. As suggested by a therapist to help with coridination by using opposite hand and feet in dance moves. It helps the signals cross the brain strengthing overall awareness of the body in relation to space. My sensory child loves it because it can be done in the privacy of the home, and they are not making mistakes in front of other people. It has helped very much, and the rest of the family loves to dance to it to. In fact we have added the rule that before playing any other games, the person must do TWO dances...no matter who is playing.. including parents. That way the sensory kid doesn't feel like it is being punished... Everyone in the family agreed to do it...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I bought this game at the suggestion of my daughter. She saw the commercial on TV and thought it would be fun - especially to learn all the "old" dances her Mom might know.

As soon as we received it from Amazon, she immediately opened it and played. I have to admit that I was hesitant to try it out for fear of making a fool of myself. Luckily in the safety of my home, I could choose to dance in private. My daughter was immediately hooked and it was an obvious game to play at some upcoming parties we had planned.

For her 16th Birthday we had over 20 teens, both boys and girls in attendance. Watching 4 boys dance the "Mashed Potato", a song they probably have never heard was more than amusing. The girls were fans of "Girls just want to have fun" and a Spice Girls song. Of course videos were made and shared on all their social websites. In the end everyone had a great time, most asking the title of the game so they could purchase it too.

The next event was my sisters Bridal shower. At the end when many guests were just hanging out we decided to play. I never imagined I would get not only my sister and aunt to play, but my Mom too! Again we all laughed, video was taken (but not shared thankfully!) and again everyone wanted to know what game it was.

The fact that there are only 30 tracks is a bit disappointing, even with the Guitar Hero you averaged twice the songs. But I would expect they'll come out with additional versions of Just Dance and seeing how much we've enjoyed this one, I'm sure we'll buy again.
I bought this game for our niece as a gift when we went to visit her and my sis-in-law. I'd read the reviews for this game and thought it might be interesting. Now I can see why the "Just Dance" games are so popular, they're so much fun! Up to four people can play or you can just play by yourself. You just follow the dancers on the screen and do what they're doing and earn points when you get it right. There are 30 some songs so it'll take a long time to learn all the routines well enough to get lots of points and to not look silly trying to follow along. Some of our favorites were, Who Let the Dogs Out, Fame, Mashed Potato Time, and Surfin' Bird. It's really fun to get four people playing (you need 4 Wiimotes) but it's even more fun to watch, especially when they all get it sorta right.

This game is great exercise and a great aerobic workout. I had sore shoulders and arms the next morning. (And a bruise on my shin from running into the coffee table). It would be a great party game or fun even if you're by yourself. It's easy enough for anyone of just about any age to pick up a Wiimote and play, kind of like some of the early sports games that came with the Wii. Tracking isn't always perfect, but it's close enough that everyone will have a good time.
on October 14, 2011
My family has an old version of Dance Dance Revolution collecting dust somewhere because none of us were coordinated enough to be able to do the foot patterns required. We're all in pretty good shape, just not very graceful! I ordered this because I had seen a clip of it and thought it looked fun. It is a lot easier than DDR and a lot more fun. This requires more arm movements than foot movements and is easier. I was pleasantly surprised at the wide variety of music. It goes from the 1960s with "Mashed Potato Time" up through fairly new songs like "Hot N Cold" by Katy Perry. There are some fun disco and 80s songs thrown in as well and I will admit a few songs I am not familiar with. If you really get into attempting the whole moves rather than just the arm movements, you can actually get a pretty good workout. A few songs like "U Can't Touch This," "Jerk It Out" and "Pump Up The Jam" REALLY get you moving. The songs for the most part are by the original artists and have real dance steps popular to the time period of the song. We haven't tried it as a party game yet but I think my niece will enjoy it. This game is for dancing as what Karaoke Revolution is for singing. It's a way to try dance steps in the privacy of your own home. Really fun and you don't have to embarrass yourself in front of a crowd of people at a club!
on February 6, 2012
I have all three just dance games for the wii, and this was the one I purchased last. I do just dance 2 & 3 every day, so my scores are usually over 10,000...but when I got this game, I was confused! My score will obviously be lower because I haven't practiced these songs, but the recognition of it is just terrible in comparison to the other two games. I thought this was supremely disappointing because to me, it has the best song list. It's really frustrating to be doing the moves and still have it giving you big X's over and over again. Despite the awesome song list, I'd recommend going for 2 or 3 instead. Playing this version of just dance made me wish I just had an xbox kinect, so I wouldn't have to deal with the stupid wiimote not registering my moves.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.