Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Just Dance - Nintendo Wii
Format: Video Game|Change

on January 12, 2010
I admit, I wasn't expecting much when I first heard about Just Dance a few months ago. I figured it'd be just like another one of those games like Dancing with the Stars and High School Musical where you see characters on screen dancing, but all you're doing is waving your remote to match the visual cues on the screen. Ho Hum.

The first thing that struck me when I popped the game into the Wii was that these were fun songs from every era. They're all family-friendly, and there's something in the track list for everyone, from baby boomers to Gen X'ers to Gen Y'ers. Here's the entire track list. Most of the songs are not covers, but original tracks from the original singers.

Girl Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Who Let the Dogs Out - Baha Men
Wanna Be - Spice Girls
Step By Step - New Kids on the Block
U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer

The second thing that impressed me was that this game features actual dance moves to the songs. In other words, not only are you playing the game, you're learning actual dance steps. You'll learn the "Mashed Potato" that was all the rage in the 1960's to Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time". You'll learn the best disco moves of the 70's with songs like "That's the Way I Like It". And my personal dream come true--you can dance like MC Hammer with "U Can't Touch This".

For the controller, they went for a decidedly simpler approach, and they hit a home run. For using one Wii remote, the controls are remarkably accurate as far as detecting whether you're dancing correctly or not. For each move, you'll be given a grade of "Great", "Okay" and "X". Now, I won't lie and say the controls are the most precise in the world. There'll be plenty of times you'll be doing the moves precisely, but the Wii will tell you you're not. But where this game triumphs is that even though the controls may be off, the game is so fun that you really don't care.

And you also find that the more you practice the moves and "feel the music", the better your scores become. If you've gotten to the point where you've memorized the dance and are just doing the moves to the music, your score will be great.

The game is simple. You choose a song, and then after a countdown from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, you'll see a silhouetted character on your screen doing the dance moves. The character is generally dressed appropriately for the song: a disco dude will lead you through "That's the Way I Like It", a cowgirl will do a two-step to "Cotton Eye Joe", and a dog (yes, a dog) will dance to "Who Let the Dogs Out". You basically just have to do the mirror image of the character's moves.

They also have multiplayer games. In the first game (Challenge), you can basically have a dance-off between you and up to three other friends to see who'll get the high score. Again, you don't mind in this case if the controls are not completely precise because you're all on the same playing field. In the second game (Strike a Pose), it's like a game of Red Light / Green Light where you have to freeze in your tracks when the music stops. The third game (Last one standing) is an elimination game where the person who makes the least mistakes wins the game.

As fpr the exercise value, with virtually every song, I ended it panting because I was out of breath, and even though I was out of breath I wanted to try it again and again until I got it right. To me, that's the sign of a great exercise game.
896 helpful votes
897 helpful votes
1111 comments|Report abuse
on December 10, 2009
Bought this game for the kids based on the commercial showing all the activity and the songs. Told my wife we had to try it out first and she balked because it was late, after the kids were in bed. I nagged she gave in I lasted 3 songs she danced every song until 2 in the morning. She had so much fun the game never made it under the Xmas tree. The next day the whole family had a blast. That night friends came over and danced for 3 hours. I'm taking it to the company Xmas party.

Pros - It's fun, fun, fun. The best family or group game since Wii Sport Bowling. It doesn't take a huge amount of skill or even rhythm. It's for the very young, anyone who can get up and boogie or simply the young at heart. If you try to play the game as intended you will get one heck of a total aerobic workout especially the smile muscles.

Cons - Primarily it's just that there is only 30 songs and surprisingly it's not enough, the developers should or had to have known they needed more (so that's the 1 star deduction.) It isn't for hard core gamers who are driven to be able to conquer a stage, solve a puzzle, revel in a high score or master a total game. They simply won't get it at all. The scoring is not spot on for the competition minded. I imagine if you wanted to cheat and just move the wiimote you could bypass the fun all together. May be to much exercise for those with physical impairments.
570 helpful votes
571 helpful votes
2020 comments|Report abuse
on January 13, 2010
I had no motivation, no energy, felt lazy, but this game got me going.

YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS!! Who doesn't dance when no one is looking?!?! LOL

You don't need major skills to play the game, especially if you are just messing around and it doesn't make you feel like you are a disappointment if you get no points. You might just have too much fun.

You burn serious calories if you do all the moves. I do take the game somewhat seriously, I bounce when the figure bounces, duck, slide, shimmy - whenever you see her or him do it in the game, and I end up having a great time doing it, and I don't care about points. I even sing along to the lyrics which is the best cause I even forget that I'm getting a workout in. I play about 10 rounds - FULL SONGS and I am drenched in sweat, out of breath, red in the face, and feel a rush of energy! I end up having a blast and can't stop smiling! At the end, I want to keep playing but I can be so out of breath that I have to give myself a minute. This can only happen if you really get into it!

Some options that I love about the game is that: players can join in anytime during a song. But I hate that after a song finishes I have to point and click OK to continue, sometimes I just want to get into the next song quickly and I have to stop moving to point and click.

It has 32 songs that I believe are really good selections. The latest songs in the game are Womanizer by Britney and Hot n Cold by Katy Perry. It has some good classics which I've never gotten tired of over the years. I enjoyed all the songs even though I'm more of a Hip-Hop head. Songs are

I'm going to add a pedometer to my workout post if anyone is interested.

The game has 32 songs and a couple of different ways to play.

There are difficulty levels to chose from depending on the song. Remember, the more the merrier so if you can have a friend join in, do it!

THIS HAS TO BE IN MY TOP 3 WORKOUT GAMES

I think this is a great way to get off the couch and start moving around a bit.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 8, 2010
My kids play games on the Wii - I'm in it for the exercise. And if you can have fun while you exercise, how great is that!

I started out with Wii Fit and the balance board. Highly recommended, especially for the balance exercises. If you THINK you have decent balance, you will find out that you're kidding yourself. Next I went on to Wii Walk It Out. Wowser - it was so fun that I didn't notice how much I was walking.

Now I have Wii Just Dance and this is just sooo cool. Going by the scoring, I am really really bad, and I'm not arguing with that! But if there was a fun-meter, I would be at the top. It is really easy to see what the avatar (or whatever they call the dancing figure) is doing. Yet it doesn't feel like standard exercise tapes (which I have tried and conveniently lost). It isn't a cartoon figure, they used live people and it makes it so much better.

No matter what level you're at, you can do this dancing exercise. For example, make it easier by just doing the arm movements and leaving off the leg moves. (Which I have to do until I've played a dance a few times anyway.) Which brings me to another benefit over just walking - you use your whole body. Arm movements, hip movements, waist movements. You are using your whole body, again, making it as low impact as you need to.

Right now, my routine is to warm up with the low-impact stepping exercise on Wii Fit. Then I go on to the balance exercises on Wii Fit. Then I do a little harder walking on the Wii Walk It Out. Then I end with dancing on Just Dance. All of a sudden, the time has flown by and I'm late getting to an appointment.

Very Very recommended, and I pre-ordered Just Dance II

Happy Reader
2 helpful votes
on May 5, 2010
After playing for a few hours last night, I'm finally getting the hang of this game and enjoying it. It's frustrating to get keep getting X's when it seems like you're doing it right. I'm a hardcore DDR player, so I really wanted to get good scores, but when I searched teh internets, all the reviews of the game said one of 2 things:
A. The scoring system sucks, don't bother playing.
B. The scoring system sucks, so just have fun and don't worry about score.

But if you're like me, "have fun" and "don't worry about score" do not belong in the same sentence!

After figuring out some things about the scoring system, I'm breaking 10,000 points pretty often, and having A LOT OF FUN too!
So, here are some tips on how to get a better score (and therefore be less frustrated :D):
1. As others have mentioned, dance with your whole body. Not that the Wii magically senses your body, but because this keeps your body on beat, which keeps you on beat, which is important to your score.
2. Hold the WiiMote in your right hand, and keep your finger on the trigger. This keeps the WiiMote oriented in the way that the game expects. (e.g. If the WiiMote gets twisted in your hand, that will hurt your score, because when you make your hand mimic the dancer's hand, it expects the correct orientation).
3. On a related note, try to focus on exactly what the dancer's right hand is doing. Not the whole body, and not even the whole right arm, but just the right hand, because that's what you're graded on. (But still do the rest of the motions, because that makes the game more fun! :D)
4. I also have Cooking Mama, and playing that game taught me that there are only a few motions the Wii can sense, and to get the points, you need activate a specific sensor in a specific way. So, when you're doing a dance move, make your best guess as to which sensor it's looking for, and emphasize that motion.
The 3 main sensors I've seen are
A. The whip/flick. (The motion you would make if you were cracking a whip.) Just doing this on beat will get you a lot of points.
B. Upward thrust. (The motion you would make if you were stabbing with a sword.) You'd be surprised how many moves look like they want some kind of curvy motion, yet the WiiMote just wants you to push it upward (all at once, and on beat!).
C. Downward thrust. (The motion you would make if you were stabbing yourself with a sword.) Same story.
There you go. Do one of those 3 (the correct one! :P) on beat, and that's 90% of your points right there. I'm still getting X's, so I think there's some other sensors I need to figure out. Gotta keep experimenting.
5. If you're like me, then you want to get more feedback from the game, so you can improve. One way I did this was by playing in 2 player mode, with a WiiMote in each hand. That way, the game will tell you if what your right hand OR your left hand is doing is what gives you points for that move, which means you can figure out which sensor to go for that much faster!

Those are the ideas I have so far, and doing that has made the game fun even for a gamer like me.
Find a song you like, play it a few times in a row, and watch your score go up as you get better at the timing and knowing what sensor to go for. Getting better scores is a good feeling. :D

Some other pro/cons:
Pro: I like the song list. I'm surprised how many of these I know, even though the song is way older than I am! Even if you don't recognize the song from the tracklist, you'd probably recognize it if you heard it.
Cons: Tutorial is worthless (nothing beyond the obvious). I don't know why they didn't include some way of practicing your moves, like the practice modes in Cooking Mama and Playstation 3 The Beatles: Rock Band - Software Only. Also, one of my WiiMotes lost the ability to sense shaking while I was playing this game. :( I'm hoping there's a way to fix this, but I'm not that optimistic.
15 helpful votes
16 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on February 18, 2010
I bought this to have another option for my kids to burn some energy on those days we are stuck indoors due to the weather.

I never expected to enjoy it just as much as my 6 year old does.

The song list is varied enough that she knows quite a few of the songs which drew her in at the beginning. She often requests the 'move it move it' song because she knows it from Madagascar but has gotten into some of the others as well.

The scoring is a little screwy but as long as your purpose is having fun & not competing it matters little. However, I do feel that if they are going to have a scoring option that they need to work on making it more accurate. Why offer it if it isn't going to work very well?

The reason for 4 stars is the scoring & only having 30 songs, which is not enough. I wish they would at least offer an option (like Rock Band) where you could upload more.

I think it will take a while for this to get old, and I bet by then they will have come out with a new version which I'll probably be buying as well.
2 helpful votes
on January 19, 2010
The motions to Ring My Bell had me laughing so hard that I just had to stop and sit down. I am not a dancer and can't figure out my right foot from my left. Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about my feet; all I had to concentrate on were my arms and having a good time. The game doesn't fail you, so again, you can leave worry behind and just have a good time. My review is based upon only thirty minutes of play with my boys (10 and 11) on multiplayer challenge, but the fun we had in those thirty minutes was priceless. I can't wait to share this with my fun adult friends who have a lively sense of humor.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on March 22, 2017
The original game which started the legacy. The first installment of the JD series is a lot of fun, but the song selection is a bit meager compared to its successors. That being said, there is still a lot of fun to be had!
on March 15, 2010
I bought this game after trying it at a friend's house. Even though I knew I probably wouldn't use it in a party setting, I thought it would be fun to do on my own. I like to dance and doing several of the long-version songs in a row gets my blood moving. I don't care too much about the scoring since having fun is my goal, but I can see how it could be frustrating to some. There are times when it sure seems like I'm doing the moves perfectly and the Wii doesn't agree. For those who aren't serious gamers, this is plenty entertaining. My only concern is that I'll get tired of the limited song selection, but that hasn't happened yet.
on January 23, 2010
I am a fan of interactive dance games for video game systems, and I really expected more from 'Just Dance.' The game has some fun songs, and even if you don't get any moves right, you will still work up a sweat. However, it is frustrating because the scoring mechanism is horrible. Basically, you hold the Wii remote in your right hand, and try to mimic the dancer on the screen. It only seems to register about half the moves, and it is confusing because you are supposed to mirror the image (so when they move their right, you move your left, etc). It doesn't boo you or anything, but it is ridiculous that no one can get any sort of decent score. I give this game a C. There are NO extras, NO options to download more songs, and it lacks any sort of tutorial that explains in detail how scoring works. The "training" on screen just says something like "Get the moves right to get more points!" Not so helpful... I'd say if the game were $15 or even $20 it would better represent the value. Fun game/concept, but a sub-par effort for content and usability.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.