Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

There is no doubt about the fact that the past several years have really been very difficult for Whitney Houston. She had a lot of personla and professional turmoil to deal with in her life, from her marriage to Bobby Brown ending to the death of her father John Houston, to issues with personal demons. But back in 2002, there were so many people who already had disregarded Whitney as an outrageous joke, because of the issues with drug problems, a difficult but troubled relationship with her dad, whom had sued his daughter for $100 million for breach of contract (yet John had sadly died and his lawsuit was tossed out of court), and a difficult outlet for R&B Soul in the music industry, where Rap & Hip Hop had overexposed the music market. Still, that honestly hadn't stopped Whitney Houston from making a strong effort, and that was what led to Just Whitney.

Just Whitney, Whitney Houston's 2002 album, her last studio effort has been re-released in anticipation to her upcoming comeback album I Look To You in September. The collection of songs focused on the heartbreak and fallout Whitney had to ordeal in her life, from being a tabloid target, to the end of a difficult and struggling relationship to her dad, and many other issues with her family life. The album was also the first release Whitney recorded without Clive Davis, mainly because Clive was focused on his work with J Records, and acts like Alicia Keys & Rod Stewart.

Nevertheless, that hasn't stopped Whitney from delivering a strong album. The record though is a bit shorter than My Love Is Your Love showcased, but still managed to strike while the iron is hot with some really great songs including One Of Those Days, which was a great and down to Earth sample of The Isley Brothers classic Between The Sheets, the elequent Try It On My Own, which was very soulful and simply elequent from the heart, and which Houston dominated from with a uplifting performance on the David E. Kelly created FOX show Boston Public back in 2003, the driven and hard-hitting Whatchulookinat, which was a smack in the face with the targeting Whitney had to deal with being the tabloid target, and simple and deeply-moved cover of Debbie Boone's You Light Up My Life. The songs still sound great to listen to, and feel soulfully from the heart.

All in all, while Just Whitney wasn't as well-received by so many people in favor of her earlier records, Whitney Houston still delivered a great album, and I definitely loved it. If you are still a hard core fan, and if you haven't yet found the record on C.D., than I absolutely suggest you get this album to tide you over in the meantime, in anticipation for I Look To You, and hopefully you'll look forward to Whitney's return in September.

Album Cover: B

Songs: A-

Price: A-

Remastering: B+

Overall: A-
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 4, 2017
Good music and would buy this artist again.
on April 16, 2012
I never really understood why this album was pretty much passed over or looked down upon. To me, it showed another side of Whitney - moving away from the ballads into a more urban zone. Granted, she had been bashed about, (almost to the point of non stop), by the press, so perhaps this was her way of showing the world she had taken off the gloves and was ready to strike back.

This time around, Clive Davis did not hand pick the songs for Whitney to sing. Frankly, I feel it was a good move on Whitney's part. She had a lot of pain and troubles in her life and this was her way of expressing it. And at the time, Whitney had a great deal to say; all with good reason.

The bonus track on the CD rocks and the DVD is totally awesome.
3 helpful votes
on July 8, 2012
Just Whitney. Is an amazing album. It has variety songs. Songs you could sing along and dance to. Ms. Whitney Houston was and will remain one of the most fanomanl singers. As a Gospel and R&B/POP singer we all miss her dearly. Buyers and or fans of Whitney Houston if you haven't buy this CDs you should. It has many good songs wish brings good and happy memories from her happy life on the early Millenium. I have all of her CDs and old LPs and I got to say its a previlege to have her collections. Her songs will be in my present as they've always been. Whitney Elizabeth Houston will always remain in our heart. God Bless her and R.I.P. Janel. A.Tejada
on January 25, 2003
Since Whitney Houston's landmark 1998 set "My Love Is Your Love", the Pop and R & B landscape has been altered by the likes of Ashanti, Eminem, Jennifer Lopez and Ja-Rule. In fact, every single on J. Lo's 2001 release had a compulsory rap by either Ja-Rule or Fat Joe. It was thought that to make her material more servicable to hip/hop friendly outlets which dominate much of the scene then that in order to guarantee radio play, this route was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, most of the songs that gained a tremendous amount of airplay at radio and became singles were completely and utterly different from the less montonous and far better originals - take "Ain't It Funny", "I'm Gonna Be Alright" and "I'm Real" for instance. J. Lo's identity became irrelevant on these cuts as long as the compulsory rap was featured. The same could be said for Ashanti when she started to make waves.
"What does this have to do with Whitney Houston" and her latest offering "Just Whitney", you ask? To that I respond, "quite a bit". As you recall, Houston's "It's Not Right, But It's O.K", the electrifying Rodney Jerkins cut from her '98 album "My Love Is Your Love" was remixed in a Hi-NRG form and the results were not so splendid, but Whitney was trying to appeal to all potentially radio friendly formats by altering the amazing Rodney Jerkins cut. The point is even as a few years ago a "Whitney Houston" was starting to become someone who really did not fit in given the wave of current trends.
Now, in the face of more current trends to insure a hit, Houston, who is older and more traditional a singer than Mariah Carey, is not going to be accepted by radio vamping on a cut with accompaniment from Ja-Rule or Fat Joe or the rapper du jour. I don't think so and neither would radio - that idea is about as absurd as Michael Jackson trying to sound street.
This time around, she realizes this and rather than conceding the same way her younger competitor Mariah Carey would in the face of greater obstacles to guarantee a hit, Houston tries to bring back a decidely old school R & B approach with the most successful technique bearing out on the cuts which come courtesy of Kevin "She'kspere" Briggs. (Let the record show that Carey's "Charmbracelet" is performing better commerically, however that album suffers a worse fate than any could accuse "Just Whitney" of suffering from: too many weak and wobbly melodies and few appreciable hooks - not to mention poor writing mostly courtesy of Carey and her juvenile musings.
Houston's album at least shows some strength on these points. "Dear John Letter", one of the standout cuts on this set, has a bob-your-head with the top-down vibe with its very simple arrangment but Whitney's voice is most sincere and soulful as the beat chugs along. Babyface and Carole Bayer Sager offer "Try It On My Own" which owes a tremendous amount to Whitney's producer of yesteryear Michael Masser circa "Didn't We Almost Have It All" and the thematic structure of his smash for Diana Ross "It's My Turn".
This sort of balladry may not be completely dated if the likes of Christina Aguilera can have a hit such as "Beautiful", which though slightly more edgy due to the presence of one of its writers who is Linda Perry of 4 Non Blondes is not completely removed from Whitney's "I Can Be Me and I Can Do It My Way" vibe. Maybe "Try It On My Own" could be the real sleeper smash of the set. "Tell Me No", Gospel-inflected rock number comes also co-courtesy of TLC/Pink collaborator Kandi Burruss and the jangly guitar solo in the middle actually adds a new dimension to the rousing anthem of female empowerment. It is a highlight that cannot be ignored due to Houston's bravado and shows a new creative light for Houston.
"One Of Those Days" is another Briggs-produced cut that benefits from the same treatment however the soul of this anthem is pinned down by the grit of the Isley Brother's "Between the Sheets". In fact, if Whitney had made the entire album with "She'kspere" her critics may not take exception with the choice of some of her other material on this very brief set. Maybe she could have lengthened the set to appease those more disaffected by what they deem her choice of less than stellar material with more material courtesy of "She'kspere" and maybe the outlook for the album would not have been so blique.
Strangely enough, in light of the fact Whitney probably will not be dueting with Ja-Rule anytime soon which may be something of a hinderance given the current trends, her husband is experiencing a bit of a comeback himself through Ja-Rule - it is too bad her duet with Brown here is by-the-numbers and lackluster. That and the very bland "Love That Man" produced by Gloria Gaynor producer Rob Fusari are non-entities and drag the set down even further.
Interestingly enough, "Whatchulookinat" the first underwhelming charting single from the album with repeated spins may be grown to be appreciated as a production which suggests Houston or more traditional or divas in the more classic sense of the word may not appear completely out of her realm spouting off a rap or two. The production compliments of Mohammed 2 G does sound a tad edgy and so incisive in comparison to a lot of other mindless R and B/Hip-Hop that it does sound advanced or avant-garde. One wonders about the response an entire album of material such as this would elicit from the "faithful".
on April 7, 2003
It's short--39 minutes. And I tire of the Bobby-Whitney colloborations. The ballads are awesome, they take me back to the 'Whitney' album, with a venomous twist.
This album tears a page from Michael Jackson's recent albums: she is starting to involve her media scrutiny in her music. She should learn from Michael's mistakes: the media only strikes harder when artists take this route. Just ignore them like Janet and Madonna do.
Also, I think "Try it on My Own" is a 'gut punch' to Clive Davis--just my opinion. Truly, the best song on the album--no, "Unashamed" is (I go back & forth)...
My Faves:
- Whatchulookinat
- Love that Man
- Try it on My Own
- Unashamed
- One of those Days
The remixes for this album are awesome too, especially the Thunderpuss Club Anthem to "Whatchulookinat".
on April 7, 2003
My Faves:
- Whatchulookinat
- Love that Man
- Try it on My Own
- Unashamed
- One of those Days
on March 21, 2017
I love this cd and rec'd it just as promised!
on March 5, 2012
Item arrived on time and in great condition. Whitney left us with memories of her excellent voice to enjoy listening to over again when we need a pick me up.
on August 10, 2016
This album has two of my favorite songs One of them days, and Hear you say. I suggest you buy this cd,