Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Jyrki Penttinen
Dr. Jyrki T. J. Penttinen, the author of the 5G Explained, 5G Simplified, and 5G Dictionary, has worked in telecom industry since the very first generation of the mobile communication systems. He is experienced in the architectural design, investigation, standardization, training, and technical management in the USA, Latin America, and Europe. He also has been a speaker at courses, conferences and seminars, and he is author of various telecom books in English, Finnish and Spanish.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Practical Guide Provides Students and Industry Professionals with Latest Information on 5G Mobile Networks
Continuing the tradition established in his previous publications, Jyrki Penttinen offers 5G Explained as a thorough yet concise introduction to recent advancements and growing trends in mobile telecommunications. In this case, Penttinen focuses on the development and employment of 5G mobile networks and, more specifically, the challenges inherent in adjusting to new global standardization requirements and in maintaining a high level of security even as mobile technology expands to new horizons. The text discusses, for example, the Internet of Things (IoT) and how to keep networks reliable and secure when they are constantly accessed by many different devices with varying levels of user involvement and competence.
5G Explained is primarily designed for specialists who need rapid acclimation to the possibilities and concerns presented by 5G adoption. Therefore, it assumes some prior knowledge of mobile communications. However, earlier chapters are structured so that even relative newcomers will gain useful information. Other notable features include:
- Three modules each consisting of three chapters: Introduction, Technical Network Description and Planning of Security and Deployment
- Comprehensive coverage of topics such as technical requirements for 5G, network architecture, radio and core networks and services/applications
- Discussion of specific security techniques in addition to common-sense guidelines for planning, deploying, managing and optimizing 5G networks
5G Explained offers crucial updates for anyone involved in designing, deploying or working with 5G networks. It should prove a valuable guide for operators, equipment manufacturers and other professionals in mobile equipment engineering and security, network planning and optimization, and mobile application development, or anyone looking to break into these fields.
A one-stop reference that offers an accessible guide to an understanding of the enhanced core technologies of 5G
5G Second Phase Explained – The 3GPP Release 16 Enhancements offers an authoritative and essential guide to the new functionalities of the Release 16 that complement the first phase of the 5G. From the author of 5G Explained comes the next step resource that includes detailed descriptions that provide a clear understanding to the full version of the 5G technologies and their impacts on the Phase 1 networks.
The author—an industry expert—not only reviews the most up-to-date functionalities of the Release 16 but includes information on the forthcoming Release 17 as well as material on future developments. The book explores the highly unique aspects of the Release 16, which can help technical personnel’s efforts to deliver essential information in a practical way. The two books, 5G Explained and 5G Second Phase Explained, offer a comprehensive understanding of 5G. This important guide:
- Offers a summary of the newest and key features of 5G
- Presents a one-stop reference for an understanding of the core technologies of 5G
- Contains a new book that expands on the author’s 5G Explained
- Puts the focus on security and deployment aspects of 5G enhancements
Written for technical personnel of network operators, network element and user device manufacturers, 5G Second Phase Explained offers a guide to an understanding of network deployment and device designing of 5G technologies.
The fifth generation of mobile communications is about to take off and it will be the big thing throughout 2020s. While the new 5G networks are being deployed and evolve, this guide works as a survival kit for the ones wanting to know more about the practical aspects of the new era. It serves to take full advantage of the system that outperforms all the previous generations.
Summarizing the new generation in non-technical terms, and including plenty of real-world examples and instructions, this guide is designed to accompany us users throughout the whole lifecycle of 5G.
The 5G User’s Guide demystifies the following themes:
- What 5G is?
- What Makes the 5G “Real”?
- Building Blocks of 5G
- How to Select the 5G Device?
- How to Select the 5G Operator?
- How to Set Up the 5G Phone?
- How to Use 5G Services?
- What Added Value 5G Offers?
- How Consumers Benefit From 5G?
- How the 5G Network Functions?
- Is 5G Sufficiently Well Protected?
- How to Make Business Out of 5G?
- Is 5G Harmful for Us Users?
- Frequently Asked Questions
While this 5G User’s Guide gives practical instructions, the interested ones can find more details about the new system from my 5G Simplified: ABCs of Advanced Mobile Communications book (also in Spanish, titled 5G simplificado), which gives an easy technical overview about the new generation, and the 5G Explained book, which is designed for mobile telecom professionals wanting to update their knowledge more thoroughly.
This practical handbook and reference provides a complete understanding of the telecommunications field supported by descriptions and case examples throughout
Taking a practical approach, The Telecommunications Handbook examines the principles and details of all of the major and modern telecommunications systems currently available to industry and to end-users. It gives essential information about usage, architectures, functioning, planning, construction, measurements and optimisation. The structure of the book is modular, giving both overall descriptions of the architectures and functionality of typical use cases, as well as deeper and practical guidelines for telecom professionals.
The focus of the book is on current and future networks, and the most up-to-date functionalities of each network are described in sufficient detail for deployment purposes. The contents include an introduction to each technology, its evolution path, feasibility and utilization, solution and network architecture, and technical functioning of the systems (signalling, coding, different modes for channel delivery and security of core and radio system). The planning of the core and radio networks (system-specific field test measurement guidelines, hands-on network planning advices and suggestions for the parameter adjustments) and future systems are also described.
- Each chapter covers aspects individually for easy reference, including approaches such as: functional blocks, protocol layers, hardware and software, planning, optimization, use cases, challenges, solutions to potential problems
- Provides very practical detail on the planning and operation of networks to enable readers to apply the content in real-world deployments
- Bridges the gap between the communications in the academic context and the practical knowledge and skills needed to work in the telecommunications industry
- Section divisions include: General theory; Fixed telecommunications; Mobile communications; Space communications; Other and special communications; and Planning and management of telecommunication networks
- Covers new commercial and enhanced systems deployed, such as IPv6 based networks, LTE-Advanced and GALILEO
An essential reference for Technical personnel at telecom operators; equipment and terminal manufacturers; Engineers working for network operators.
LTE-Advanced is the new Global standard which is expected to create a foundation for the future wireless broadband services. The standard incorporates all the latest technologies recently developed in the field of wireless communications. Presented in a modular style, the book provides an introductory description for beginners as well as practical guidelines for telecom specialists. It contains an introductory module that is suitable for the initial studies of the technology based on the 3GPPRelease 10, 11 and beyond of LTE and SAE. The latter part of the book is suitable for experienced professionals who will benefit from the practical descriptions of the physical core and radio network planning, end-to-end performance measurements, physical network construction and optimization of the system.
The focus of the book is in the functioning, planning, construction, measurements and optimization of the radio and core networks of the Release 10 and beyond of the 3GPP LTE and SAE standards. It looks at the practical description of the Advanced version of the LTE/SAE, how to de-mystify the LTE-Advanced functionality and planning, and how to carry out practical measurements of the system. In general, the book describes "how-to-do-it" for the 4G system which is compliant with the ITU-R requirements.
The content includes an overview of the LTE/SAE environment, architectural and functional descriptions of the radio and core network, functionality of the LTE applications, international roaming principles, security solutions and network measurement methods. In addition, this book gives essential guidelines and recommendations about the transition from earlier mobile communications systems towards the LTE/SAE era and the next generation of LTE, LTE-Advanced.
The book is especially suitable for the operators that face new challenges in the planning and deployment phases of LTE/SAE, and is also useful for network vendors, service providers, telecommunications consultancy companies and technical institutes as it provides practical information about the realities of the system.
- Presents the complete end-to-end planning and measurement guidelines for the realistic deployment of networks
- Explains the essential and realistic aspects of commercial LTE systems as well as the future possibilities
- An essential tool during the development of transition strategies from other network solutions towards LTE/SAE
- Contains real-world case studies and examples to help readers understand the practical side of the system
This book describes the current and most probable future wireless security solutions. The focus is on the technical discussion of existing systems and new trends like Internet of Things (IoT). It also discusses existing and potential security threats, presents methods for protecting systems, operators and end-users, describes security systems attack types and the new dangers in the ever-evolving Internet. The book functions as a practical guide describing the evolvement of the wireless environment, and how to ensure the fluent continuum of the new functionalities, whilst minimizing the potential risks in network security.