|Screen Size||15.6 inches|
|Max Screen Resolution||1920*1080 pixels|
|Processor||2.5 GHz Intel Core i7|
|RAM||8 GB DDR4 SDRAM|
|Hard Drive||512 GB Flash Memory Solid State|
|Wireless Type||802.11 A/C|
|Number of USB 3.0 Ports||2|
|Average Battery Life (in hours)||7 hours|
ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
- 15.6 inches Matte FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. Windows 10 Operating System.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M gaming graphic card; 8GB RAM; 512GB SSD Storage.
- Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
- 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x HDMI, 1x Card Reader
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the manufacturer
What’s In the Box
- ASUS K501 Notebook
- AC Adapter
- User E-manual
- Warranty Card
ASUS K501 Multimedia Laptop
Designed to tackle your everyday computing needs.
The ASUS K501 boasts a clean and portable metallic design with the performance to match. Featuring the latest Intel Core i7 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics which enables you to stream HD videos, run MS Office programs or even do some casual gaming without hiccup.
Without all the bells and whistles, the K501 presents itself in a classy gray metallic cover with a hairline textured finish. At less than an inch thick, this full-featured notebook combines exceptional performance with high mobility. And when you're out and about, its well-rounded edges and sleek, minimalist lines set it apart from other mundane notebooks in the market.
On top of that, ASUS-exclusive cooling techniques take it to the next level, ensuring your laptop always stays nice and cool to deliver a smooth and quality computing experience.
- 15.6” Full HD anti-glare display
- Simple and classy brushed aluminum design
- Full-sized chiclet keyboard with backlights
- Intel Core i7 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M discrete graphics
- 8GB memory with 512GB Solid State Storage
- Fast Internet connectivity with latest generation 802.11ac
- ASUS 1-year Accidental Damage Protection with 30 days Zero Bright Dot Guarantee
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M GPU:
With the latest NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 graphics and Direct X 11, the K501 lets you create exceptional presentations for work, or enjoy high definition movies and games when it's time for you to kick back and relax.
NVIDIA Optimus Technology:
Also featuring NVIDIA Optimus Technology that automatically tweaks the GPU for either turned up graphics power or battery-boosting efficiency depending on what you’re doing. It’s the best of both worlds where you get the graphics performance when you want it and battery life boost when you need it.
ASUS Splendid Technology:
ASUS Splendid Technology enhances the display of ASUS notebook panels with 4 preset modes which easily brings colors to life, immersing you stunning visuals with rich, deep hues.
Multitask wtih 6th gen Intel Core i7 processor
With the latest 6th generation Intel Core i7 processor, the K501 gives you the performance you need to tackle even the most challenging tasks easily.
Call up items at lightning speeds
With a 512 GB SSD, you can store what you want, and access it in a moment. Watch as boot up times become a thing of the past and loading and saving projects are as quick as a snap.
Pitch-Perfect Audio: ASUS SonicMaster
A mixture of hardware, software, and tuning, ASUS SonicMaster was developed with the clear goal of giving you the best notebook PC audio. A professional codec ensures precise sound performance; an optimized amplifier gives you louder volumes, while larger speakers and resonance chambers deliver powerful audio output and deeper bass. Additional signal processing helps fine tune the hardware, filtering noise and improving audio clarity so you can enjoy unrivaled audio on your K501.
Smart Dual Fan Cooling System
The K501 features an upgraded cooling system with independent copper fans dedicated to cooling the CPU and GPU. This exceptional cooling system keeps temperatures low to prevent overheating and ensure system stability whether you're working on processor-intensive tasks or gaming.
To keep heating issues at bay, ASUS IceCool Technology features a unique internal layout that keeps palm rest surface temperatures consistently at a below body temperature lever. This enables you to stay comfortable for hours on end while using the laptop.
Intuitive Touchpad Navigation: Smart Gesture input
A Smart Gesture multitouch pad gives you unprecedented levels of accurate and intuitive fingertip input, so everything feels natural, whether you're surfing the web, or just navigating through a document on screen.
Windows 10 Pre-installed
Windows 10 gives you a familiar experience combined with great new features like a digital assistant* and a new browser for getting things done online. It’s fast, great at multi-tasking, and even helps you stay up to date on the latest features and security.
- Cortana available in select markets at launch; experience may vary by region and device.
ASUS 1-Year Accidental Damage Protection*
It's a fact - accidents happen to all of us. ASUS ADP program is created to bring you peace of mind and help protect your devices against damages such as: liquid spills, electrical surges, and drops.
*ASUS ADP program applies only to select ASUS branded notebook and tablet products sold within the United States and Canada from select Authorized ASUS Resellers. Products must be purchased in brand new factory sealed condition and not of refurbished or open-box condition. Units sold and purchased outside of the United States and Canada are not eligible.
Compare to similar items
This item ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||TechWlzards||Amazon.com|
|RAM Size||8 GB||16 GB||8 GB||16 GB||16 GB||16 GB|
|Processor (CPU) Manufacturer||Intel||Intel||Intel||Intel||Intel||Intel|
|Processor Speed||2.5 GHz||2.8 GHz||2.5 GHz||2.8 GHz||3.4 GHz||2.8 GHz|
|Display Resolution Maximum||1920*1080 pixels||1920 x 1080 pixels||1920 x 1080 pixels||1920 x 1080 pixels||1366x768||1920 x 1080 pixels|
|Screen Size||15.6 in||15.6 in||15.6 in||15.6 in||14 in||15.6 in|
|Hard-Drive Size||512 GB||1,000 GB||—||—||256 GB||—|
|Item Dimensions||10 x 15.6 x 0.8 in||10.1 x 15 x 0.8 in||15.02 x 10.2 x 1.19 in||10.47 x 15.35 x 1.05 in||13.19 x 9.13 x 0.76 in||10.45 x 15.31 x 1.14 in|
|Item Weight||4.4 lbs||5.1 lbs||5.27 lbs||5.95 lbs||3.32 lbs||5.51 lbs|
|Operating System||Windows 10 (64bit)||Windows 10 Home||Windows 10||Windows 10 Home||Windows 10 Professional||Windows 10|
|RAM Type||DDR3 SDRAM||GDDR4||DDR SDRAM||DDR DRAM||SDRAM||—|
|Wireless Compatibility||802.11 A/C||802.11 A/C||802.11 A/C||802.11 A/C||802.11A, Bluetooth||—|
ASUS Gray Metal Notebook K501UW-AB78, 15.6" FHD (19201080), Matte, Intel Dual-Core i7-6500U, Intel HD graphics 520, 8GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M, 2GB GDDR5, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 (64bit), 802.11AC, Bluetooth 4.0
Top customer reviews
I already upgraded the bios twice. Just follow the steps in eManual. You can find the eManual under Start, All Apps, ASUS, eManual. If you are not comfortable with bios upgrade, don't do it. As you may turn your laptop into a brick.
Battery life is good. I got on average 5 hours of watching Hulu or Netflix. Surfing the web maybe 6 hours. Based on some battery experts' discussions, they suggest not to completely drain or fully charge lithium battery. They said do it between 40% - 80% will prolong the life of lithium battery. I've been trying to do this. Hope the practice will make the battery lasts for years.
I confirm that this laptop came with 1 stick of 8GB DDR4 by running CPU-Z (a free software you can download to monitor and show PC hardware components). As shown in the Before Upgrade picture below, it is a single 8 GB DDR4 and the motherboard is running Single Channel with 15-15-15.
Since I will be doing video editing with this laptop, I started researching if it is possible to get another brand of 8 GB DDR4 stick to make it 16GB and Dual Channel. The answer was as long as the DDR4 stick has the same specs even if it is different brand, the motherboard should run as dual channel. Some discussions from Tomshardware say for some memory intensive programs, Dual Channel can have up to 20% increase in performance.
Found this crucial DDR4 8 GB stick on Amazon:
Received the ram yesterday. Installation was easy. Remove the 10 bottom screws. Put them on the desk in the same layout ( a rectangle ) as you remove them since the screws are in 3 different sizes. Use finger nail to gently ply open a little from back of the cover. Then open the rest with an old credit card. Gently open the silver metal box. Insert the ram. Put the cover and screws back.
Once boot up, the laptop will recognize the new ram automatically. No need to do anything. CPU-Z now shows the motherboard is running Dual Channel with 16GB of ram as shown below in the After Upgrade picture.
With that out of the way, here are what I think are the objective pros and cons of this machine.
- Solid build quality with regards to materials used. I was fully expecting plastic to be the predominant material but the only plastic regions are the bottom of the laptop and around the display. The rest of the laptop is comprised of an aluminum finish.
- For a gaming laptop, it is surprisingly light. I believe it is around 4.4 lbs and would have some people mistaking it for an Ultrabook.
- The battery life is also relatively high considering it's specs. The laptop automatically switches between the integrated Intel graphics and the 960M GPU to conserve power. The i7-6500U is also a dual-core (2 physical cores and 4 logical cores) CPU that also undervolts itself in idle settings to save power. Expect around ~5-6 hours of regular (non-gaming) use on Battery Saver.
- The performance is nothing short of amazing. I routinely run applications such as AutoCAD, Inventor, and Overwatch and the machine has yet to give me any rough patches in performance. For reference, I run Overwatch at medium to high settings with consistent 60 FPS. The CPU and GPU along with the 8 GB of DDR4 RAM will handle pretty much any computationally or graphically intensive task.
- A back-lit keyboard is always nice to have.
- Accurate and responsive trackpad. Better than the trackpads I've used on my previous HP and Acer laptops.
- The display is definitely the weakest point of this laptop. There is a reason why almost every other lukewarm or negative review for this laptop cites the display as a con as well. The screen is some sort of TN type display that renders highly-saturated colors in certain applications (not all) into 'fuzzy' blots of color. It isn't really a deal-breaker for me but I can see why it would bother others. This problem does not exist when you're using an external display. Viewing angles are okay. The display is also matte (NOT glossy) but this is a matter of preference.
- The fan 'issue' that many other reviews seem to talk about is extremely easy to fix. Simply go to Control Panel, Hardware & Sound, Power Options, Advanced Power Settings, and adjust the fan frequency using the Cooling Management Options. It's as if people don't know how to Google answers for their problems.
1. Quality Materials
2. Doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of crap
3. Good specs for the price
1. Heats up very fast when running games. I would recommend a laptop cooler.
2. Something is off with the resolution. Some texts appear blurry.
3. Graphics card isn't great
Games I've run without any problems: Overwatch, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Witcher 3, The Secret World.
Most recent customer reviews
See the Top Rated Laptops in our Laptop Reviews.