Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

KEF Q500 Floorstanding Loudspeaker - Black Ash (Single)
Color: Black Ash|Change

on September 20, 2016
Brilliant clean sound. Excellent quality, glad I went out on a limb for KEF. Sounds very similar to an older set of Mission (also UK) brand floorstanding speakers.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on March 24, 2017
I have always loved KEF speakers. I happened to grab two of these for a song and they look and sound as phenomenal as every other KEF speaker I have ever used.
on November 23, 2016
These speakers are awesome! Takes about 3 weeks to break in. The clarity is unbelievable for the cost of the speaker.
on March 27, 2017
Great speaker. Amazing clear highs and soundstage. To get a good lower end out if this speaker, I'd recommend either a quality amp with higher power rating, or pairing with a good musical sub, like an SVS SB1000 or similar.
on November 19, 2017
These are amazing. I pair with an SVS-SB1000 for music, movies, and gaming. Once you break them in you won't believe the imaging. 100% recommend and refer all of my friends to these when looking for speakers.
on May 12, 2017
I want more!
on March 13, 2017
I'm not an expert, but these sound pretty good. Definitely higher quality than your more well-known brands like Sony or even Bose
on June 24, 2017
So my coworker and I are both audiophiles and so we talk shop a lot. He works in a different part of the country. Last time I went to visit their office he says to me, "Oh, hey, we need to swing by the audio place I told you about. I need you to hear the speakers." He knew I'd just bought a different set for my apartment that I was relatively happy with. But I went along anyway. What's the harm, I thought?

We walk in, he starts talking with the guy up front and says I'm in town and he wanted me to hear the KEFs. The guy sits me down, asks me what I like, and puts in Radiohead's "OK Computer". I sat unmoving for 5 minutes before I eventually got up, walked over to my coworker and said, "You're a very mean person, you know that?"

Luckily my other headphones were within the return window. Didn't even regret the decision for a second.

The KEFs have great sound. Great imaging. They will fill a room and it doesn't matter if you sit in a perfect acoustic sweet spot. The base is deep and rich but clear. The mids are well defined. The highs are pure crystal. I'm sure for 10 times the money there are better speakers out there. There must be. But at this price range? Nope. This is it.
3 helpful votes
on June 24, 2013
The Q500s are some of the best speakers for the money. I'd disregard the other reviewer that says at high volume there is a rumbling (that's the amp and/or wiring, not the speaker), or another review that says it doesn't live up to the hype (did you audition these speakers before you bought them?).

Dispersion of sound is amazing, highs and mids are handled exceptionally well and as a result you'll be re-watching your movies and queuing up your symphonies and rock and roll tracks to hear how they sound on these suckers. The lows are good, but if you are just driving these speakers without a sub, you'll need to consider the larger Q700s or Q900s. For those that pair it with a sub that is worth its salt, the Q500s are near-indistinguishable from the top of the line Q900s. As floor standing speakers go, these are nice and compact as well.

Spend a bit over a grand on a pair of these (or Q700s or Q900s) and the next step up in audio quality might very well be in the four figure USD area for you to tell the difference.

Final notes on these is that you'll need to pair them with a good amp, and you'll want to re-adjust your sound settings after 60 or so hours of using them as the sound will change a bit after you run it through your paces.

In general, it's very hard to go wrong with KEF. You are hitting an area of audio fidelity and high end brand though that is almost by definition subjective - so you'll want to audition these and other speakers of their ilk before you buy.
28 helpful votes
29 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on July 23, 2017
The speaker body on my Q500 has gaps where it was put together in the front wood frame. The speaker body feels and looks cheap (i like the elac build quality much better). From this experience I feel that the KEF build quality control is lacking. I'm not a sound expert but was disappointed after reading rave reviews. Sound is not amazing at all - more or less a flat / dull quality.

Also be forewarned that these speakers are not returnable on amazon due to large magnets within. (Possibly this is true for any large speakers) So be sure this is what you want before ordering.