Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$14.38+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on April 4, 2017
Best book on golf ever. Easy to read and follow suggestions. Certainly did improve my short game
on December 1, 2015
I spent most of my lifetime wondering how on earth people could donate so much money, time and energy hitting a little ball around. I gave it a whirl with my uncle (who fancied himself a player) half a lifetime ago and wasn't overly impressed. I still can't recall what compelled me to try it again in Spring 2015. Probably the biological clock thing. At any rate, soon I bought a club, and then another, and another. Eventually a golf course employee donated a bag, and I was able to call myself a golfer. Well, let me tell you, if you just walk in off the street you're guaranteed to know jack $hit. "KISS Guide To Playing Golf" is your next best buy.

Steve Duno's all-about book goes through the history of this centuries-old game, assuring you're not the first one to make an a$$ out of themselves out there. There's chapters on how to hold the club, how to turn your torso, where to hit the ball, the strategy and tactics of moving the little ball across what amounts to over twenty football fields, and so on. There's different strokes for different folks, as the song goes, but you'll find that there are tried and true formulas in coming away with a decent score and not tossing your bag of clubs into the lake. This book is for green rookies, but once you've read it you won't go out to the course without a clue. There's enough clues here to make this something you'll look forward to after Church on Sunday.
on July 12, 2015
Great book! Borrowed a copy from a friend when I started to learn how to golf last year and had to get a copy for myself. Easy to read, great graphics, full of basic and advanced information...from club descriptions to basic rules. Every chapter makes you want to rush out to the driving range to practice what you've learned. Had a hard time locating the book as it was published in 2000, but I finally found it on Amazon, new for about 15% of the original price.
on April 25, 2008
This book is pretty cool. It's like reading an encyclopedia of golf. I highly recommend it. The thing is, it only brings you up to intermediate level. If you want more help in deeper mentality of golf or simply play golf with more precision, read "How I Play Golf" by Tiger Woods.

Here is my suggestion: If you're new to golf but are excited to learn, skip Part 1 and jump to Part 2. Why do I say that? Simple. Part 1 talks about history, rules, golf courses and the "anatomy" of golf. They're good to know, but it can bore you from time to time and plus, it has nothing to do with the basics of golf yet. It's like reading soccer rules and how soccer is played. Knowing that can't improve your techniques. Duno also recommends hiring a professional & practice by going to the driving range. Personal preference: Everyone have their own way of playing golf and no one technique is perfect for everyone. If you read the simple techniques explained in this book, it'll get you a long way. Bottomline here is, save time and money by buying yourself a golfnet and turf and practice in your backyard or anywhere you have room to practice.

Part 2 is the perfect place to start if you want to swing that club! It's all about which clubs to buy, how to get good grips, aim better and understand basic swing fundamentals. It's my favorite part that is also worth reading it over and over again.

If you already know the basic fundamentals of golf such as golf rules and/or swinging a club but want to improve your short game, skip Part 1 & 2 and go on with Part 3. It teaches you how to master putting, chipping, pitching and hitting from the bunker. If that doesn't get your money's worth, go on to Part 4 (Become a Better Golfer) which talks about flaws to avoid, bad lies, hills, bad weather, etc.

Part 5 however is somewhat useless in my opinion. It talks about competing, differences between golf clubs, balls and what to do if you take a golf vacation. It's basically teaching you "what to do with your money once you're already a multi-millionaire." I mean, no-duh, everyone have their own preference how they want to take their golf game further. All in all, this book is worth reading and if you love golf like me, buy it just so you can read and reread it over and over again.
on May 27, 2011
I borrowed a friend's and decided I should get my own copy. It is a great guide for a beginning golfer. The layout is clear and logical, the photos are excellent and it gives you thorough information to get you going without overwhelming the subject. I read the first half of the book before I started lessons - it helped me understand the instructor's comments (the advice on what to look for in a teacher was also good). The book lives up to its name!
on January 6, 2008
This book provided me with the basics of the game and the use of the tools, rules and other essentials and serves as a reference guide to this time. It is clear and simple and straightforward. It can help any new golfer to get into the game and help any duffer to refine his technique.
I recommend it highly.
on June 24, 2010
Can't say enough good things about this book. Very easy to follow. Improved my game tons. Had one before and it was lost or destroyed accidentally. I had to replace it. That is just how good this book is!
on December 24, 2010
This is a thorough and easy to understand instruction manual. A golfing friend recommended it since I haven't played since I was a kid. It was the perfect suggestion.
on June 10, 2015
Excellent book for the weekend golfer. Full of illustrations to demonstrate techniques. I've probably dropped 5 strokes off my score since reading it.
on February 23, 2014
Easy to read an follow. Can stop and start and still learn. Good pictures and easy to follow directions. Not seen better.