Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on July 31, 2012
After reading a review in a well respected shortwave internet site on the best AM/FM pocket radios - I decided to write this review. The radios tested on the internet site were the Sony, Panasonic, Radio Shack and Kaito current pocket radios. This test concluded that the Radio Shack catalog number 12-467 was the best. Since I own this radio and I also own the Kaito KA 200, I did my own review below:

Portability: Kaito is about 1/3 the size of the Radio Shack. The purpose of pocket radios is to fit easily in your shirt and pants pocket. The Kaito fits easily and the Radio Shack does not.

Sound: The Radio Shack has a larger speaker and can easily fill a room with sound - but the sound is somewhat muffled and the volume control is not linear (so that the range of lower volumes for bed time use etc. is more difficult to obtain). The Kaito is not as robust in sound volume but the sound is much cleaner and with more natural detail. The Kaito volume control is very smooth and will easily go through a linear range at both low and high volume. Note: these are personel radios and if you are using them as such - the Kaito wins this category.

Earphones: Both radios accept left and right earphones. Many other pocket radios just have a mono (only one ear has sound) output. Again, sound of Kaito is clear and detailed -the Radio Shack is robust but a bit muffled.

Tuner: The Kaito has a tuning light that identifies the best reception. The Radio Shack does not and is a little vague to tune.

Overall - If you want a pocket radio the Kaito is perfect. If you just want a radio to fill a room with sound the Radio Shack will produce higher volume.
44 comments| 328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2016
When I first received the radio I was so disappointed, it looked so small and felt so lightweight. However, I decided to give it a try before returning it, and am very glad that I did. The sound coming out of this little box is loud, the station reception is clear, and it was not difficult to get the wheel to tune into the station. My husband likes it so much he wants me to buy another one. The only negative is that if you wear glasses put 'em on, you'll need them to see what you are doing.
on July 20, 2016
I have a small garden and deer and rabbits can be a problem. I'm sure I'm not the first to think that the animals might stay away if they think people are close by or if they hear noises so I tune this to a talk station, place it in a baggie, and lay it under/around my tomatoes. Turn on at night, off in the morning. It seems to work, although the lack of damage could be coincidental. In any event this radio serves the purpose for which it was bought.
on January 1, 2017
A nice little radio. Easily fits in shirt pocket.
My only complaint is that the front end isn't very sensitive (does not receive stations very far away).
If you are in an urban area, this may not be an issue.
on October 21, 2017
Incredible sound for the size both in quality and loudness. Being partially deaf, this tunes in stations AM and FM loud and clear. The ear plug jack allows for monaural listening but delivers audio to both ear buds or head sets -- not just one side. Has a tuning light generally not seen on radios at this price point. Selectivity of FM is good but not as tight as more expensive radios. The battery also lasts long given that they are AA. I use this small radio both regularly and bought another for backup or emergency use.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 15, 2015
I thought I'd take chance on this cute little radio given its low price. And I'm impressed by it! It outperforms a more expensive small Eton radio I have. This Kaito doesn't have the features of that one but that's okay and this one is smaller. Its lack of features may be why it performs better. I pick up the FM stations very clearly, including some weaker college stations. For AM, I pick up several stations (the ones I care about) fine and without too much noise. The speaker is plenty loud. I have no idea yet how long the batteries will last. How good this radio will perform is obviously dependent on where you live. I'm tempted to give this 5 stars because it is better than expected, and I may come back and upgrade it to 5 stars later. I just haven't had it long enough to be sure it deserves the highest rating. If you're in an area with strong radio signals, I think you'll like this. It's nice to have a radio so small that doesn't need headphones.
on March 13, 2015
I wanted to get a radio to listen to for walking and working but the FM antennae on this is pretty crummy. Lots of static as you move around. I would use this on my desk in a set location and listen while I worked but I really miss having a portable radio. I had an mp3 player I accidentally lost and I didn't really use it other than to listen to public news radio. Also, even when it's stationary, the static will cut in and out sometimes depending on where you're standing around it. I was at work one time and I found that it wouldn't stop making static unless I was physically holding it, which is stupid because I need both hands to work.
on June 20, 2017
I bought this to replace my 20 old Radio Shack pocket radio - was expecting that a 20 year advancement in technology would be an improvement in all areas. I primarily would use this radio for AM.

Pros:
About the only think good I can say about this radio is that it's small.

Cons:
It's hard to tune - tuning is way too touchy
When tuned, the signal is not as clear as my old Radio Shack pocket radio
It does not tune in all of the AM stations that I know it should
The volume control is too touchy
The sound is way to "tinny"
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I would not recommend this radio. A friend convinced me to purchase this. It did not work half the time the stations went in and out and I had an issue with the volume button not working. I sent it back to Amazon. Now I have no radio.
on January 16, 2016
This is a great, small pocket AM-FM radio. Its small speaker puts out nice sound, with little distortion if you keep the volume down. It runs on two AAA cells, and easily fits in a pocket or purse. It's about half the size of most "pocket" radios. Great for listening to baseball games!
My wife loves it.