Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 31, 2012
After reading a review in a well respected shortwave internet site on the best AM/FM pocket radios - I decided to write this review. The radios tested on the internet site were the Sony, Panasonic, Radio Shack and Kaito current pocket radios. This test concluded that the Radio Shack catalog number 12-467 was the best. Since I own this radio and I also own the Kaito KA 200, I did my own review below:

Portability: Kaito is about 1/3 the size of the Radio Shack. The purpose of pocket radios is to fit easily in your shirt and pants pocket. The Kaito fits easily and the Radio Shack does not.

Sound: The Radio Shack has a larger speaker and can easily fill a room with sound - but the sound is somewhat muffled and the volume control is not linear (so that the range of lower volumes for bed time use etc. is more difficult to obtain). The Kaito is not as robust in sound volume but the sound is much cleaner and with more natural detail. The Kaito volume control is very smooth and will easily go through a linear range at both low and high volume. Note: these are personel radios and if you are using them as such - the Kaito wins this category.

Earphones: Both radios accept left and right earphones. Many other pocket radios just have a mono (only one ear has sound) output. Again, sound of Kaito is clear and detailed -the Radio Shack is robust but a bit muffled.

Tuner: The Kaito has a tuning light that identifies the best reception. The Radio Shack does not and is a little vague to tune.

Overall - If you want a pocket radio the Kaito is perfect. If you just want a radio to fill a room with sound the Radio Shack will produce higher volume.
44 comments| 325 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 9, 2017
Most remarkable! How they achieved everything I wanted in a minuscule radio 20%smaller than a pack of cigarettes is beyond me. The quality of the sound is competitive with desk top radios I own that cost far in excess of $100. My biggest delight came when I discovered, after several days of using it exclusively with ear phones, it has a very credible speaker built into that little package; it has now replaced the radio in my bedroom saving a huge amount of tabletop space.
Better yet, I bought this radio to replace a $65 pocket radio I recently left behind in a hotel. At this price, it will be a lot more comfortable replacing should I ever lose this one!
on January 3, 2017
Bought these for Dirty Santa gifts. I can't believe how the eventual recipients enjoyed this little radio. It picks up stations well, stays on the station. Has a pull-out antenna to increase the range. Plays as loud, as you would want and has fairly good tone.
on January 10, 2017
This was smaller than I pictured but that's ok because my mom (who I purchased it for) LOVES it. She can fit it right in her shirt pocket with no problem. The reception we get with it here in NJ is excellent considering the digital one she has needs the antenna up and this doesn't to get crystal clear reception. Of course that may just be our area but I'm impressed!!! Awesome value for the money!
on June 18, 2016
When I first received the radio I was so disappointed, it looked so small and felt so lightweight. However, I decided to give it a try before returning it, and am very glad that I did. The sound coming out of this little box is loud, the station reception is clear, and it was not difficult to get the wheel to tune into the station. My husband likes it so much he wants me to buy another one. The only negative is that if you wear glasses put 'em on, you'll need them to see what you are doing.
on July 20, 2016
I have a small garden and deer and rabbits can be a problem. I'm sure I'm not the first to think that the animals might stay away if they think people are close by or if they hear noises so I tune this to a talk station, place it in a baggie, and lay it under/around my tomatoes. Turn on at night, off in the morning. It seems to work, although the lack of damage could be coincidental. In any event this radio serves the purpose for which it was bought.
I know that the "pocket radio" is a bit outdated as far as technology goes but they are great for emergencies! Just a few days after it arrived, we had a power outage. I dropped in two AAA batteries and it worked great! I tuned in to a local station and in a couple of minutes they gave a message about the outage due to an accident in the area, and that the utility guys were already on it. Its a great way to get info when the TV/Internet is down. Its very compact (about as tall as a pack of cigarettes) but thinner and lighter. The telescoping antenna closes almost flush. Easily fits in a shirt pocket with room to spare. It is also a great item for hiking/camping. Although it isn't waterproof, it can be dropped in a ziplock baggie to keep it dry. The sound from the small speaker isn't too shabby either. I'm very happy with this purchase.
on May 8, 2016
I bought this radio for a weekend camping trip that coincided with my team playing a Sweet 16 NCAA tournament game. There was no way I was missing it, so I bought this radio to listen to the game around the campfire. Previous reviews said it was small, but it was even smaller than expected! Think, IPhone 5 dimensions, just slightly thicker. This was fine by me as I didn't want to carry a bulky radio. It picked up the game perfectly in the woods, in a bottom area, about 10 miles from town, and it sounded great. I am very happy with this purchase! I won't use it often, but I am glad I have a small radio for camping trips or for when the power goes out. Good buy at an awesome price!
on January 1, 2017
A nice little radio. Easily fits in shirt pocket.
My only complaint is that the front end isn't very sensitive (does not receive stations very far away).
If you are in an urban area, this may not be an issue.
on February 28, 2012
If you like to listen to AM radio (talk, news, sports) while moving around, and without headphones, look no further. This Kaito KA200 is a marvelous combination of miniaturization, good tuning capability (includes a little green light to aid the process), great overall ergonomics and excellent sound. Battery life also is excellent (my Sanyo eneloop batteries have been used for countless hours and never yet needed a recharge), and the construction seems above-average, at least, for durability. Normally from such a small device you expect a tinny, unnatural sound. This little gem sounds like a much larger radio. The FM also seems fine, although personally I almost never use that. I am satisfied, satisfied, satisfied.
Update: Several months later I just ordered another TWO of these little marvels, just to keep in the glove compartments of my cars.