BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 31, 2012
After reading a review in a well respected shortwave internet site on the best AM/FM pocket radios - I decided to write this review. The radios tested on the internet site were the Sony, Panasonic, Radio Shack and Kaito current pocket radios. This test concluded that the Radio Shack catalog number 12-467 was the best. Since I own this radio and I also own the Kaito KA 200, I did my own review below:

Portability: Kaito is about 1/3 the size of the Radio Shack. The purpose of pocket radios is to fit easily in your shirt and pants pocket. The Kaito fits easily and the Radio Shack does not.

Sound: The Radio Shack has a larger speaker and can easily fill a room with sound - but the sound is somewhat muffled and the volume control is not linear (so that the range of lower volumes for bed time use etc. is more difficult to obtain). The Kaito is not as robust in sound volume but the sound is much cleaner and with more natural detail. The Kaito volume control is very smooth and will easily go through a linear range at both low and high volume. Note: these are personel radios and if you are using them as such - the Kaito wins this category.

Earphones: Both radios accept left and right earphones. Many other pocket radios just have a mono (only one ear has sound) output. Again, sound of Kaito is clear and detailed -the Radio Shack is robust but a bit muffled.

Tuner: The Kaito has a tuning light that identifies the best reception. The Radio Shack does not and is a little vague to tune.

Overall - If you want a pocket radio the Kaito is perfect. If you just want a radio to fill a room with sound the Radio Shack will produce higher volume.
44 comments| 323 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2016
Only way not to get static is to have the antenna extended and touching your body. So since I needed this to use while gardening this resulted in the antenna snapping off within the first few uses. Now has zero reception, and I do not feel I can return for cash back due to breakage. Still I have used pocket radios for this purpose for 20 years and this is a first one that got zero reception of at least a few channels without antenna extended. So a total let down for me.
on November 13, 2015
I expected it to be bigger. That is not something any man wants to hear. But i really thought it was going to be much larger. When I received the package in the mail, I figured they sent the wrong item. But I was pleasantly surprised that even as small as it is, it works and sounds great. It is a little cheap feeling, which is why i gave it 4 and not 5 stars. But being as small as it is, it fits easily into any pocket, and the sound and reception do not seem to be affected in the slightest. This is NOT going to rock your world with bass, it does not produce stunning high notes. But for listening to talk radio, or the Cardinals on KMOX, when I am out in my kayak fishing, it is pretty great.
on August 23, 2016
I bought this to replace a "Brand X" radio that's a battery hog - I was going through 2 AAAs per week. The Kaito ran for 3 weeks of daily use before the batteries quit. When the tuning LED quits, it means the batteries are getting low. This radio is about as basic as it gets. The analog tuning dial has nearly zero backlash, and the volume dial goes high enough to use while vacuuming or mowing the grass, since I use headphones exclusively (both channels work - in monaural only). The tinny speaker serves as a backup. Reception is about par.
on July 9, 2017
Most remarkable! How they achieved everything I wanted in a minuscule radio 20%smaller than a pack of cigarettes is beyond me. The quality of the sound is competitive with desk top radios I own that cost far in excess of $100. My biggest delight came when I discovered, after several days of using it exclusively with ear phones, it has a very credible speaker built into that little package; it has now replaced the radio in my bedroom saving a huge amount of tabletop space.
Better yet, I bought this radio to replace a $65 pocket radio I recently left behind in a hotel. At this price, it will be a lot more comfortable replacing should I ever lose this one!
on January 3, 2017
Bought these for Dirty Santa gifts. I can't believe how the eventual recipients enjoyed this little radio. It picks up stations well, stays on the station. Has a pull-out antenna to increase the range. Plays as loud, as you would want and has fairly good tone.
on April 13, 2012
First it is NOT an iPod, it is lo-tech and not designed for hi-fi, everyday use, etc. etc. It is small, decently built, fairly good reception and in my opinion perfectly suited for the glovebox, go-bag, backpacking [ultralight], disaster pack etc. If it breaks boo-hoo, it is only $12, it takes AAA x2 which is ok since I already have them in recharagables for our 2way radios. A single A battery would be obviously better. I also have the slightly larger Sony which is also a great unit that I also reviewed last year. It is an inexpensive way to be able to get news, weather etc. in an emergency when your smarty-phone looses a signal. It is also a good first-radio for youngsters to see if they are responsible enough to take care of something. One day someone will get clever and put a rubber-whip type antenna on an inexpensive radio like this, I've looked and have yet to find one. I plan on taking this one on the trails and camp trips this year and will post the results. We frequently take our small Sony to the preserves for day-packs to listen to music while having a picknic break.

3/22/13 UPDATE: I gave this one to my 9 year old who is my ranger-buddy in the field. He carries this one in an old digital camera zipper case we already had. I taught him the proper way to raise/lower the antenna and it is still fine. Reception in the field is decent. I will often ask him to find a news/weather station on am before we turn in for the night and it pulls am great. fm depends on your location but is not too bad. It is so small/light it barely adds any weight to his pack.
on October 26, 2012
I just got this radio along with the Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio and both are great. This little Kaito cannot be beat for it's size. It dials in most stations but due to the size of the wheel, don' be suprised if it's hard to fine tune dial in some.

The antenna is telescoping which is great for the size and speaker is ok (for a $12 radio). If you want a small radio with great sound, pick up the Sony ICF-S10MK2. (It's larger than this Kaito, but the speaker sounds great!) The Kaito sounds really good with headphones and I'm pleased to see they made them "stereo" with audio coming in on both ear buds. Note - earphones are not included with the radio.

If you need to carry around a radio in your travel bag, purse, etc. This is a great radio for it. I carry mine in my commuter bag inside a small electronics zip pouch (similar to those used for external hard drives but smaller). This radio is a little larger than two glide floss packages put together. Really great size for on the go and you can't beat the price.
on January 10, 2017
This was smaller than I pictured but that's ok because my mom (who I purchased it for) LOVES it. She can fit it right in her shirt pocket with no problem. The reception we get with it here in NJ is excellent considering the digital one she has needs the antenna up and this doesn't to get crystal clear reception. Of course that may just be our area but I'm impressed!!! Awesome value for the money!
on June 18, 2016
When I first received the radio I was so disappointed, it looked so small and felt so lightweight. However, I decided to give it a try before returning it, and am very glad that I did. The sound coming out of this little box is loud, the station reception is clear, and it was not difficult to get the wheel to tune into the station. My husband likes it so much he wants me to buy another one. The only negative is that if you wear glasses put 'em on, you'll need them to see what you are doing.