Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

• Kala
  • Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 56 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 136 reviews
on June 19, 2016
Politically charged catchy raps with a punk electronic finish. It's rare to see such a well crafted blend of sounds that can come through as fun or serious. M.I.A. Does it again on this 2nd album, her clear entrance to a more electronic styling. She will go down as one of the greats
on August 10, 2008
I'm intrigued. I have put myself into the position of responsibility to purchase a wide range of music that I might not otherwise be familiar with, and Kala is just such a purchase.

Quite honestly, I love her accent, and I love her quirky sense of style and artistic chaos. And that translates to the music. The irony being that the music is so "happy" and up-beat, and contrary to the opinion of another (obviously rhythmically challenged) reviewer, it is incredibly dance-able. In fact, if you do not move, then you either detest the music, or you have no sense of rhythm.

From the perspective of a musician and a bit of a "purist", the concept of sampling is a turn-off to me. However, when looking at the genius of such artists as John Cage (love him or hate him, he was groundbreaking, and the real father of techno-beats) and other such innovators, I can appreciate someone who can take a wide range of sounds and styles and incorporate them all into one place (this album). Of course, it is a bit chaotic, but I think that's exactly what M.I.A. had in mind (have you SEEN her wardrobe?). She wants you to think. She doesn't care if you like it or not, she is more interested in getting a reaction... mission accomplished.

The Timbland track was just a marketing trick to get more exposure... genius, sweetie! She put it at the end, so it has no real affect on the overall feeling of the album, and still the name of the US artist will bring more people to her music.

Despite the concern that she was unable to spend time in the US working on this album, I think that was actually one of the best things that happened to her in this case. Had she come here, the sound would have been diluted and made entirely too common. Instead, we have originality.

No bones about it, girl can't sing. But she's not marketing herself as a singer, but as a musical artist. She is able to create tracks using the tools available, and not being a musician to speak of, she simply takes existing sounds and arranges them into a tapestry of sound that is jarring, pleasant, irritating and endearing all at the same time!

This is a study in sound variations. Good job!
on April 5, 2010
Kala is a breath of fresh air in the Electronic and Alt Hip Hop genres, an amazing album with no punches pulled in terms of creativity. What I love most about this album is the inclusion of instrumentation that you typically don't hear on American radio stations, such as the urumee drums in "Bird Flu" (my favorite track).

Paper Planes was obviously the runaway single, made only more popular by being sampled in "Swagger Like Us" and used in the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. While the single is what got me to give Kala a listen in the first place, her other songs are what really persuaded me to buy the album from Amazon. If you like your music original and off the beaten path, you should absolutely give this album a listen from start to finish at least once.
on July 28, 2016
I love this music and I'm happy the CD came in but the case was broken. I dunno who's fault it was but I'm a little bummed the case is broken. I'll find a new one though at some point. The CD is fine, not scratched and it plays great.
on August 29, 2007
This will polarize people... again. You seriously will either love this album or hate it. If you liked (loved?) Arular, you'll love this one - more new beats, quotes older songs the same way Massive Attack does (to wonderful effect) and continues with the outlook we all need to cultivate to stay vital in the world. Only other thing I could compare her to would be Manu Chao in the sense that there're so many different worldly things going on in her music... and otherwise.
on December 10, 2016
Awesome cd as well as awesome set.keeps putting out great songs.
on December 28, 2016
More used than implied in description. CD was cracked.
on December 28, 2013
This is a great introduction to M.I,A., although her latest, Matangi, surpasses it. I was first made aware of this artist through "Slumdog Millionare," and "Paper Planes" from the movie remains one of the strongest on this work. "Bamboo Banga" is also very good.
on November 5, 2012
I remembered their most popular song (Paper Plates) from this album, found the whole album on sale as a download, and bought the whole thing. Aside from one other song (Jimmy), the album was mostly noise and chanting. Which some people may like, but now I understand the sale price. If you do want to try this album, sample the songs first.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2007
... but the time spent taking in this album is well worth it. 'Kala' is extraordinarily complex. It definitely takes a special talent to make something like this.

It helps to know what to expect. I agree with the notion that other Amazon users have put forward that this is a 'noisy mess'.. but that isn't always a bad thing, at least not in music (See: Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray").

M.I.A. has her album spattered with all sorts of weird sound effects... beeps, cars, ect... and you could be fooled to think that the CD was actually skipping sometimes on certain songs. Then you have songs like "Birdflu", which is an all-out attack of exotic drum rhythms. And it's all done with a unique sense of style.

It takes time to truly appreciate. And it's quite impressive.