About the Product
- Comprehensive Campaign With 15 Different Missions.
- Mission Generator For Random Map Creation.
- Wide Range Of Editing And Modification Functions.
- Online Funcions Such As High Scores And Visiting Other Players' Islands.
- Great Latin soundtrack
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This game has a lot going for it. Think "Sim City" with the additional need to balance out political factions and put up with rebels. In Sim City, unhappy sims would simply leave. In Tropico 3, they're more likely to pick up a gun and try to overthrow you directly.
That said, the game has some faults that are making it into a pretty short lived affair. I've put in maybe 8 full sandbox rounds and I don't think I've got many more left in me.
The problems I had:
* It's too easy. It's not hard to go through the whole game without a single rebel. Factions are easily made happy and the extreme measures of dealing with rowdy individuals available to a tropical dictator seem to be unnecessary. Even if I configure a custom game with politics as unstable as it will let me and with "Rebel Yell" turned on, which makes my citizens even more likely to rebel, I still find rebellions aren't that big of a threat. They're even less of a threat than the occasional invading party in Dungeon Keeper.
* Combat is too forgiving. You don't really have any control during combat, which is fine, really, but the mechanics of it are still rather silly. When the rebels do finally show up, they will try to sabotage a structure and run away -- except before they do this, they will politely stand near it until literally your entire army has shown up. Consequently there's no reason to plan out how to distribute your guard towers to deal with threats quickly. Just build all your military stuff in one place and put a parking garage nearby.Read more ›
Power corrupts - and absolute power corrupts absolutely. True - but aren't you tempted? Not even a little?
The original Tropico and its expansions were of those rare RTS games that manage to blend absurd stereotypes with classic gaming genres and reinvent them with humor. From the old Dungeon Keeper to the unsurpassed Evil Genius most of these games are hard to fail. And how could they - what is there not to like?
The economy must be tended to: from agriculture, fisheries and tourism, to oil and mining, you must decide on how to keep your regime solvent and well into the black. On the other hand, neglect the well-being of your citizens at your own risk. Both superpowers as well as brewing guerrillas are always at your heels, ready to dispose of you and install their puppet in your boots.
So make sure to strut around and let your subjects take a good hard look at their leader. If that is not enough to discourage dissidents, making a long-winded populist speech surely will. Push come to shove, you can always rig the elections of course...
This installment's sin is that it offers little new besides improved graphics and minor gameplay touch-ups.Read more ›
Other than the different scenarios and the new ability to customize your own avatar, Tropico 3 is essentially a Tropico 1 + expansion pack with 3D rendered graphics.
However, I'd hasten to add that it's still as fun as the original and you will spend countless hours managing your banana republic.
- Still as fun as the first one
- Graphics have been updated
- Ability to Customize Avatar
- It's still as fun as the first one...because it's almost identical to the first one plus the expansion pack...gameplay is identical.
- ...in fact, it has lost a few of the cool little features (i.e., the little videos that followed the issuing of an edict are now gone :()
- Tropico reloaded, the bundled pack, is available for download at much better value, it's not in 3D but Tropico has always been about gameplay and not graphics.
5 stars for fun, but 3 stars for overall value. Imagine if Civilization 4 was simply Civ with 3D.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
worked great on win7. Started to get choppy after 300 pop. Probably because I don't have a great graphics card.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Product received as described and ordered in a timely manner. No problems. Works fine so far.Published 2 months ago by Yleexot
As good as the first one (Anything's better than the second one) although your residents still seem to go off and not do much after a while or take the longest path that they can... Read morePublished 5 months ago by Dr. Mike Wendell
If you're wondering what the jest of the game is think Sim City. Its basically the same thing except now people and other countries will try to overthrow you. Read morePublished 11 months ago by Adegan Enterprises