Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 56 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on June 5, 2014
when i first received this item i was very happy with it the packaging was really nice, the unit felt incredible its super solid feels like nothing could break it! but the second i hooked it up to my lens i suddenly realized why it was so cheep. Out of the box it was almost unusable when i would turn it it felt like the gears were just grinding agents one another and at one point i was turning it and it got completely jammed and i had to use a lot of force to get it to turn again. So at this point i was dying to know what was going on inside that tiny little solid metal gear box so like any customer who doesn't care about his manufactures warranty i started taking the thing apart (im a pretty mechanical guy). There are two nut like things on either side of the spindle attached to the the gear that actually makes contact with your lens. I started by removing those with some needle nose pliers then i removed the 2 bearings and the the spindle (which has a gear attached to the middle of it inside the gear box) i was expecting the see a bunch of stripped gears but that was not the case all of the gears were in perfect condition. So I put the spindle back in and put the bearings back in and then before putting the nuts back on i turned the Focus wheel a few times and found it was MUCH smoother so I figured I had somehow fixed it and put the nuts back on and tighten them down and it was back to how it was if not worse. I found that if you put the nuts on and just hand tighten them it's much smoother. So just by loosening those two nuts you can take an almost unusable follow focus and turn it into a very good follow focus. and if thats good enough for you you can sot there and call it a day but it wasn't good enough for me so i took out the bearings again and found that they weren't very smooth so I cleaned them out and re-grease them and they felt way better still not perfect though so i got the part # from the bearings and googled it i found that they are a very common size for long boards and you can buy upgraded super smooth replacement ones online for not much at all. i have not done this yet as i only got the follow focus 2 days ago but i do plan to and i confident that it will make this follow focus flawless.

so to summarize
-out of the box it is almost unusable (at least mine was)
-if you loosen the nuts on either side of the spindle it makes it MUCH better (worth the money in my opinion)
-if you remove the bearings clean them out and put them back in with the nuts hand tightened it feels amazing (most people would probably say it was perfect I'm just picky)
-this follow focus uses 686zz bearings commonly found in long boards and you can easily find replacement or upgraded bearings online (honestly I believe if you put in top-of-the-line bearings this follow focus would compete with follow focuses in the thousand dollar price range)

So if you're willing to take apart your follow focus and work on it a bit it's definitely worth the money. If you're not than thismight not be for you. hope this was helpful
on March 19, 2014
I have been using this for a couple of shoots the last couple of weeks and it has been flawless. Construction is SOLID. It is smooth, versatile (mount on either side of lens in a flash), accurate, and simply delicious. I am not a pro by any means but I know a good product when I see it. Dont let the low price tag fool you. This is a quality product. I find all Kamerar/Photography & Cinema products to be a great value. You honestly cannot go wrong with them if you are a low budget or hobby filmmaker. Skip the Cowboy Studios crap and other el cheapo "brands". These guys know what they are doing.
on May 22, 2016
A very smooth and accurate follow focus for the money. I wish that Kamerar would have included focus hard stops but the removable dry erase ring is nice. Everything on this follow focus is metal excluding the dry erase ring and seams like it would handle a lot of abuse. I took mine apart and was surprised at the quality of the gears and bearing on the inside of the unit. Everything fit together perfectly with a minimum amount of play. I don't see what the possible difference could be between this follow focus and one of the more expensive ones.
I was concerned that the single rod attachment point would cause this to be difficult to keep in place, but it turns out this is not a problem. However, it does require a bit more time and fiddling to get this setup and aligned with your lens. A version that connects to both rods would probably be easier to setup.

The action is smooth with just the right amount of friction (adjustable to your preferences). I've detected no backlash. The white ring is removable so you can clean off your marks. It does not come with hard stops and I see no easy way to add them.

Overall the price is right and it does work as advertised. Would be a 5-star if it attached to both 15mm follow focus rails.
on August 29, 2013
I just got this Follow Focus to accompany my Rokinon Cine lenses on my Black Magic Cinema Camera. It's like a match made in heaven.

The Follow focus doesn't have a "quick release" function like other more expensive versions, but that doesnt really matter since it's a single rod mount, so just loosen the clamp, swing it out of the way, switch your lens and pop it back up and your good to go!

CONSTRUCTION:
All Metal, except for the marker disc which is plastic (of course)
Nice touches for me are the magnetized focus marker ring, with some pressure it pops off to wash it, but stays on tight otherwise.
There is only a little bit of play in the gear box, i heard you can tighten the gears to get rid of that though. Play is so negligible I don't even bother.
Reversible lens gear is fantastic, gives you more flexibility in setting where you want your follow focus, hand grips, etc to go.

All in all this is a fantastic option for the budget filmmaker and even non-budget minded people. It's a quality device and I see no difference in function between this and other high end devices.
on May 5, 2017
For the cost, this follow focus is a good value. All metal, and does what it is supposed to do. So far so good.Now for the test of use and time...
on July 8, 2013
I've been a cinematographer for seven years now, and I've used everything from the top end Arri follow focus units all the way down to ones that literally had plastic gears (and those STILL cost more than this unit!). Up until this unit, my best bang for the buck was the RedRock Micro FF, which worked great but cost 4x what this one costs. So when I saw this unit I was skeptical due to the insanely low price-point. Wow, am I glad I ordered it!

The construction materials and quality is easily that of RedRock Micro or Zacuto, with all metal construction (aside from the marking disk) and extremely low play. I tested the unit thoroughly with both a few of my cine lenses and stills lenses and it was incredibly accurate. If you're on the fence, do yourself a favor and take the plunge. You'll be glad you did!
on February 3, 2013
First Impression out of the box:

Extremely heavy all metal follow focus compared to all the other follow focus products out there along the same price range.
The weight is not a factor when you consider how well built this product is in regards to the material used. In this case, metal.
There is a small amount of play even after tightening the bolts with an L wrench, but with such a low price and indestructible feel
to this product, I'll definitely give it some good use before I post my follow up review. I've owned other versions of cheap affordable follow
focus products, but this product is definitely a huge competitor to all the other products in the same price range.

I bought this item with the tank cage and works perfectly with the tank and rail system they offer with this product.
I don't like the rubber gear band for your lens that's included with this product, but for the price, I don't mind buying a better gear for
my lenses.

If you're in the market for an affordable follow focus and want to give this product a try, do it! You won't be disappointed.
on January 16, 2013
Absolutely love this follow focus. So far this is only the second one I've bought but it blows the first one out of the water. It has a solid build, little to absolute no play if you tighten everything down. I would recommend this product to any film maker on a small budget looking for a solid follow focus but doesn't want to fork out an arm and a leg
on June 11, 2014
So far, I haven't set it up yet. But out of the box it was heavy, so you know this is a very solid product. Off the bat, I have 2 complaints. I had to wear latex gloves to clean off the lube that was very messy, and was dripping off the FF. Secondly...exercising the knob and seeing how smoothly the gear turns, it started to lag. It should be smooth the whole turn. I'll try to get back once I put it on and use it. But first impression, good feel and very solid. Came out messy and wasn't as smooth as I was hoping.