Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on January 6, 2011
My wife likes to listen to music in her studio, but didn't want something too obtrusive. Her studio can get noisy (glass lampwork) so she needed something with some power, but still able to faithfully reproduce sound quality, especially during quiet times. I bought her the Kanto Syd-5 for Christmas and she LOVES it. The cabinet is beautiful and if there's not an iPod docked on top, you don't notice it on the bookshelf it rests on. I read that the cabinet is made with the same finish they use for high-end pianos, and I believe it.

PROS: Super sound quality, plenty of bass, and plenty of power if you want to crank it up. I tried hooking it up to a 32" LCD TV via the S-video, and while it wasn't HD, it was pretty good. You could pair it with a flat screen and maybe a DVD player and have a pretty decent home theater. The remote is OK and lets you adjust treble/mid-range/bass.

CONS: Not many, but this is one heavy unit (25+ lbs). You won't want to move it around too much. We have the black finish, and while it's beautiful, fingerprints and dust are noticable.

As far as pricing, the Syd-5 was in the $4-500 range when it came out, but I got it for $250. I've heard the Bose Sounddock (both models), and the Syd-5 outperforms them easily for a (lot)less money. If you don't need portability and if looks and price/performance are important, then you can't do better than the Kanto Syd-5
on March 22, 2012
Bought this Ipod speaker for my workout room with two main considerations in mind.....I wanted it to be loud, and I wanted to be able to use as the speaker source for my TV in that room. Item was packaged well....triple boxed, and arrived flawless in appearance, which was great, beacause I got it in red, which is VERY shiney!! It is pretty heavy, but that was to be expected....like the solid feel, and the adapters all snap in securely, although I had to figure out you need a small flat head screw driver to pop them back out again, but no big deal. I gave it 4 stars for appearance and versatility, but sound quality is 3-4 stars....I just expected a cleaner sound at higher volume. It does play loud, and I realize that with the bass and treble controls you can adjust the sound accordingly, but I find that for the sound I was expecting, I have to adjust with virtualy every song played. Just sounds somewhat muddy at high volumes. I also have a Phillips Fidelio DS8500 that I bought for half the price that sounds much better at low to med volume, but it can't reach the decibel level of the Kantos. I compared to the Bose for the same price and I might would exchange for it if it weren't so much trouble. Overall, I mostly got what I wanted....loud sound with source versatility....I just expected so much more based on the reviews.
on September 13, 2012
I was really excited to get this stereo. The reviews have been nothing less than fantastic. The pictures make it look like a work of art. And it is. Truly, it's rather beautifully designed and well-built. I would give it 5 stars for design and build--that is, for how it looks and the care Kanto took in building it. The problem though is how it sounds. Don't get me wrong. The sound is good. There is absolutely no distortion from this tank of a unit, but there is also no fidelity. And what I mean by that is it lacks in the lows and highs much as nearly every other iPod/iPhone docking stereo out there.

Every piece of music I threw at it sounded flat and muffled, as if it were playing out of a tin can. Now, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but really it sounds rather flat. I couldn't find any real detailed reviews about this stereo on Amazon, so I assume maybe most people who bought it never had a hi-fi system before and were basing their reviews on other cheap, plastic iPod stereos they previously owned. I don't know. What I do know is the Kanto Syd 5 lacks fidelity. There's no "splash" in the treble, and no "punch" in the bass. It's all kind of muddled together. And if you look at the specs it makes sense: there are no "tweeters," only "full-range drivers." And there are no "sub-woofers," only "woofers," so the lack of fidelity makes sense. I just think that when you add to that the inability to separate the speakers you run into what I would describe as a "tunnel speaker:" all the sound comes at you in one direction (being that all the speaker are so close together), and there is little fidelity. It all sounds like it's coming from one speaker, which in a way it is.

I really wanted to love this stereo, but I couldn't. The Altec Lansing iM7 from 2006 beat out this 2010 Kanto in nearly every sound test. I think the only reason it pulls that off is the side-firing subwoofer, but still, it blew the Kanto out of the water. Amazing. I expected the Kanto to sound better. I wanted it to sound better. But it didn't. If you're going to spend 300$ on an iPod stereo I would suggest a used B&W Zeppelin, or an iHome iP1, or an iM7 if you can still find one. Unfortunately, unless you care more about looks than sound, then I can't recommend this for the price. It does beat out the Bose Soundock in terms of sound and build-quality. If you're trying to decide between the Syd 5 and the Bose, go with the Syd. You'll get a better looking unit with "tighter" sound, but don't expect hi-fi.
on October 30, 2010
great product and a must have if you use an ipod or portable sat radio as i do. Sound is excellent for a shelf speaker.?Very dynamic while also being subtle when called upon.Power is more than ample, your ears will go before this does!
Build quality is superb; mine was the black and it looks and feels like satin. Very solid and seems to handle every day use with no problems.
Great job folks. Would buy again with no hesitation.
on December 10, 2012
There's always a slight buzz in the background and the remote does not "catch" very easily...and you can't be too far away or the remote won't work. I have the Apple iPod Hi-Fi which is definitely superior quality. Wish they still made them
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2011
I listened to many similar products. This and the Bose top the list. Sound quality is excellent for both. The Kanto edges out the Bose based on the additional connection options (such as hooking this up to your TV).
on December 7, 2013
Worked great for a while, but after a year or so we now have a lot of static in the background.