Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: VHS Tape|Change

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on August 1, 2014
I've been using this stretch routine since it was on VHS, and I was thrilled that Amazon sells it in DVD format. You will need a yoga mat (or other surface to sit on), towel or yoga strap, and possibly a folded blanket to put under your tailbone during some seated positions, depending on how you feel. The stretches are safe, effective and no-nonsense - you won't have to sit through a bunch of New Age gobbledegook about chakras and chi, this is strictly for muscle/joint health and physical performance. Voight's instructions are great for ensuring you're doing the stretches safely and effectively, and she allows for different levels of flexibility, which is very important. Her presentation is a bit robotic, but the routine itself is so beneficial that you shouldn't be put off by that. Relaxing music is a plus. This is great if you want to relieve stress at the end of the day, work out the kinks from sitting at a desk, or thoroughly stretch your muscles after a workout. Even my husband likes it!
on December 7, 2013
I read many reviews on this video, most of which were positive. The age of the video didn't bother me at all. Yes, the hair & clothing were dated, but that should affect the actual workout. Neither should the fact that the other people in the video were even a little creepy looking (especially the man).
The fact is, this is far from the best stretching video out there. I purchased the video in hopes of increasing my flexibility. I workout with heavy weights several times a week using Cathe videos at home. I do the stretches at the end of each of her workouts, but they are short. I wanted something to do on my off days. Several weeks before buying this video, I purchased Lastics. It was amazing; I couldn't believe how great I felt after a simple stretching video. The problem was, Lastics is an hour long. I have a hard time fitting that into my schedule on top of work and kids, plus regular workouts. So, I thought the Karen Voight video would be shorter and just as good. I was completely wrong. This workout was no different than the typical stretch offered at the end of any exercise video. It was shorter than Lastics, but much less effective. Nothing new and very boring. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
on March 24, 2009
Yep. Pure and simple. Usually a rave like this is from someone that is a friend with a person related to the product. I'm not, but I have been using this routine since it came out ten years ago, so, I owe Karen one.

This workout is full body stretch, stretching only one, or at the most two, muscle groups at a time. So,you are not trying a complex position that may discourage you from continuing. A simple stretch also allows you to focus purely on the stretch. Karen works the routine with you, giving you sufficient time to stretch the muscles, not just demonstrating the pose. Pure and simple.

However, if you are suffering serious issues in certain areas, you would likely have to hold the stretches longer or do more reps for that area. The stretches are probably not intended to be held long enough for serious condition. But the techniques themselvers are effective, they just need to be done longer. So, put the DVD on hold or go back after the routine for problem areas.

What puts this workout into the excellent ranking is the neck/shoulder routine at the end of the workout. It's about 5 to 10 minutes of neck stretches,making it ideal for anyone suffering neck issues.

If you do have neck issues, you can skip to the end, do the neck routine once or twice a day, and it will definitely help alleviate your issue. I'm a massage therapist and have shown the neck sretches I learned here to some of my clients suffering neck issues.

This DVD may not be for fitness folks that feel that have to burn and sweat at every workout. The tone is relaxing, focusing on improving flexibility, which too many people ignore in their fitness program, which can lead to injury.
on March 16, 2017
I've used this for years (even before when it was on VHS) because it is slow, the cues are great, and you get an excellent stretch. For me, it's like a meditation session with the benefit of the stretch. Though you can see by the clothing that it's older, this DVD stands the test of time. I did buy a newer one with Voight as well, but have found that the cues aren't as good and the poses move a little too quickly for me to get as much benefit.
on May 25, 2017
Just as the title suggests, it is pure and simple. It starts with a few dynamic standing stretches, then moves on to about 30 minutes of static stretches on the floor. Nothing fancy or complicated.
on August 31, 2013
I've been looking for a beginner stretch video that didn't have too many yoga pretzel moves. I'm in my fifties and in moderate shape, but I know that I need to improve my flexibility. This video works for me. The best part is that she holds the poses for a long time. In future, I'll likely skip the 10 minute standing stretch. The floor stretch is fine. While I wish there had been more focus on hamstrings and inner thighs, I did find the neck and upper back stretch at the end to be extremely helpful and relaxing.
on July 30, 2016
The eighties leotards are fun to see but the content is Out-of-date and irrelevant these days with so much innovation in the exercise and yoga activities.
on June 9, 2014
This is more like normal stretching, not so much the Yoga type. Buyer beware not to push your self and over exert yourself if you have had any back problems. I had over done it, and felt the muscle tighten up an hour later, not good. So take it slowly. So stretches may be a little challenging but for the most part there are models that will be showing you an easier version. Good buy.
on October 14, 2015
Excellent full body stretch. The stretch moves are simple, well cued and held sufficiently long enough to get the full effect. Stretching moves for the whole back, thighs (inner and outer), hamstring, shoulder, arms, neck (my favorite), hips, quad

Worth every cent. Excellent for evening after a long day.
on August 27, 2006
I would do Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch every day if I could. In fact, I'm trying to find time to do it after every single one of my workouts while my muscles are warm. At first, you may be a little turned off by Karen's monotone voice and too serious mood (she has definitely improved her stage presence since this video's release in 1991). And you may also need to work to look past all the high-top sneakers, full-body unitards, pixie haircuts and the strange man in the back whose black-rimmed glasses and slicked-back hair make him look more than a little creepy. But you must look past it. There's a reason this video is still being sold 15 years after it was produced. This is a classic workout that will have you feeling truly relaxed and rejuvenated. Not a single muscle in your body is ignored. It took me a few times to finally feel what Karen means when she says to "breathe into the stretch", but once you feel it you know you're doing your body a huge favor. I've only been doing this for two weeks and have already noticed an improvement in how far I can take the stretches. I convinced my husband to try the 10-minute standing workout in order to ease some tension he carries in his neck, and he loves it too. This is one after-workout ritual that I really look forward to.