Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 10, 2013
This is the second book in the author's 'Absent Gods' series. It continues the YA story of the possessor of the Silver Serpent, a magical artefact, tied to a number of prophecies in a land divided and threatened by the reawakening of an ancient enemy.

I read the first in this series and really enjoyed it for what it was. Second books in a series sometimes don't live up to the promise of the first, but in this case I am happy to say that the second book came through shining and I would happily give this book an extra half star.

I think what impressed me the most about this book was how the author was able to represent so many aspects of the genre in a single book, while still including enough twists to the common tropes to keep one guessing. The story is told through a number of point-of-view characters ranging from the standard neophyte mage learning his craft, through our 'sometimes sword wielding' hero learning how to be a hero, to a militia commander organising a rag-tag bunch of farmers to the defence of a village against a larger and better-trained force. All standard stuff, but all done superbly here with enough grounding in reality to make them thoroughly believable.

Definitely looking forward to the next book.
on April 14, 2013
Good light reading for the genre. Don't expect Robert Jordan or G.R.R. Martin depth and detail. This second installment doesn't finish the tale, and there is no indication when( or if ) the third installment to this 2010 publication will arrive.

Update #1: the author's web site says the third installment, Gates of Iron, will be available in 2013.

Update #2: Having missed both the 2013 and 2014 dates, the author's web site now promises the third installment but does not provide any time frame whatsoever. The author's release of several other books in 2014 ( using his other penname, David Wood ) suggests the third installment isn't a priority.

Update #3: Gates of Iron continues where Keeper of the Mists concluded. We see more intrigue with Aspin and Oskar while he trains as a saikur, Shannis pursues Karkwall to unite the clans while reminding them of the need to unite against the Frostmarch. Larris is busy uncovering the plot against his father and him. Have only read 4 or 5 chapters but the quality ( spelling errors of volume one are gone ) and writing have improved. Would give it 3 1/2 starts if Amazon's rating system allowed. The trilogy's conclusion is appreciated. Would like to see this author write about more complex characters and have more surprises and twists. Thank you David.
on February 28, 2016
Can't talk about the book without the series. I liked it and the it was a fun read. Its a simple text, probably very good for early teens. No deep plot lines or character development but that was okay. Now this book which is second of the three. It held the story line together well and flowed nicely. Don't try to read it without having read book one. All in all a good series worth the time to read.
on July 25, 2013
I bought this sequel as soon as I finished The Silver Serpent and I was not disappointed. It smoothly picked up where the previous book left off and threw me right back into the fray. The characters come alive on the page and feel real. The journey they take and the changes along the way made me feel invested in their outcomes. I can hardly wait for the next book in this series and will be purchasing it as soon as it is available on Kindle. I highly recommend this series, even if you are not a fantasy reader. The writing style, while engaging and engrossing, is smooth and easy to read. I found it to be well written and edited.
on October 29, 2017
Just finished this book. Can't wait to read part 3.
on July 6, 2015
Now Shan is is to become Queen of Lormond, the ripples will be felt in the lAnds beyond the borders.
on May 18, 2011
I read fantasy voraciously and there is ALOT of utter drivel out there. There was a few characters with some annoyingly caveman like speech but for the most part I really enjoyed this book. The plot is really engaging and I had a hard time, putting it down. You know you have a good one when it's midnight and your telling yourself,"ok, just one more chapter" I found the bonds between Shanis and the friends to be really believable and the characters interesting. I also really applaud a reasonably priced e-book- without all the printing and shipping costs shouldn't they be cheaper???? So huge props for that. He is no Robin hobb or R.R. Martin but I think he really tells a good story and has potential to be great.
on March 27, 2014
good reading
on November 9, 2015
Really enjoyed this 2nd book in the trilogy. Solid character development while keeping the pace going along nicely. Looking forward to the finale
on May 20, 2016
I enjoyed the book, and I like the flow of the story line