Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on January 6, 2014
I am giving this 5 stars based solely on the film and the story. It is a wonderful follow up to the video Keiko: A Journey Home. Keiko: A Journey Home went into how they got him out of the park in Mexico City and into his pen in Oregon. This movie went into much more detail on what happened after. With Blackfish documentary making waves in the captive industry, this movie goes to show that captive orca whales CAN be integrated back into the wild or at least retired into an ocean pen. To see the transformation Keiko made as a captive sick whale with papilloma virus and almost dead, rehabilitated, taught to catch food, and swim in his home ocean waters brought tears to my eyes.

I hope one day to see this for Lolita (See Lolita: Slave to Entertainment for more on that topic). They point out in the film that one of the most saddest aspects was the fact that they were not able to reunite Keiko with his own family pod. We know where Lolita's family is. Her teeth (unlike so many in captivity) are in prestine condition as she does not have horizontal metal grates to bite down on and break her teeth. Knowing that she has been in captivity for 43+ years AND that her mother is still alive in the wild, absolutely breaks my heart. This is a GREED filled industry. Their is NOTHING education about seeing these animals perform circus tricks for our amusement. It is so tragic.

Side Note - Rating the actual film format: I would give this 3 stars as a BluRay title. At 30.00 + shipping it is a little on the steep side for any BluRay, and I didn't notice any more quality then that of a standard DVD (the DVD is 20.00). While I'm sure they used cardboard to cut back on plastic, I was a little disappointed in the case. While the shipper did write "Do Not Bend" on the movie, the case was pretty beat up upon arrival. I also cannot store it with my other BluRays do to this.

The only reason I did not give the format of the film 2 stars is because the shipper did assure me that proceeds of the sale will go to the Free Willy/Keiko Foundation (which I am very happy about). I also bought this on smile.amazon.com so The OrcaNetwork will also benefit from .5% of the sale :)
66 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2014
Excellent documentary of Keiko & his journey to potential freedom. Sadly he truly enjoyed people too much to really be free & got sick and passed on. Never knowing who his family was, other than people, should be a lesson that we all learn. Leave these beautiful creatures in the natural environment they were born in where they truly are free. Being Keiko fans and seeing him in Oregon several times his story is personal to our family. So sad was the day he left, watching him fly over in the huge aircraft knowing that we'd never see him again. That is until we meet him again "on the other side".
on October 11, 2015
Great documentary. I wish everyone on this planet had to watch this.
on December 25, 2013
Very informative & eye opening documentry. So heartwarming to see keiko swim free from iceland to norway, after many years of captivity. So sad that his need for humans played a great part of his life. I will always be glad he swam free for 5 years. Instead of swimming in a fish bowl for the rest of his life. Freedom is far better than captivity. No whales or dolphins should be ripped away from their families for human entertainment!
on April 11, 2017
Keiko the Untold Story of Keiko the Star of
on December 2, 2016
I took all my grandchildren to Oregon to say GOODBYE to Keiko years ago so I bought this for them to watch with THEIR children as a Christmas gift and also bought the FREE WILLY movies. Some of the children are a little young to understand but the DVDs will be there to watch and learn from long after this Great-Grandmother is not longer around.
on October 30, 2015
The true story of what really happened to Keiko. A must for anyone who loves orcas or who followed his life.
on September 26, 2015
Fantastic movie that should be made more available. I was so glad my x box could play it as it is the wrong region for UK.
on March 23, 2017
Very good and very interseting
on December 1, 2014
Simply put, a must-see of any who consider themselves cetacean enthusiasts, especially Keiko fans.