Keith Jarrett - Standards
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
(Aug 27, 2002)
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Recorded live at Koselnekin Hall, Tokyo, on February 15, 1985, this dazzling concert teams up one of the most significant pianists of the last forty years with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette for an unforgettable celebration of music. Tracks: I Wish I Knew, If I Should Lose You, Late Lament, Rider, It's Easy to Remember, So Tender, Prism, Stella by Starlight, God Bless the Child, Delaunay's Dilemma.
With musicians of the caliber of pianist Keith Jarrett, bassist Gary Peacock, and drummer Jack DeJohnette, this 10-song, 105-minute performance, recorded in Tokyo in 1985, could hardly be less than outstanding. But two numbers--"Rider" and the Billie Holiday classic "God Bless the Child"--are positively transcendent. Both are reminiscent of the music Jarrett made with his so-called "Nordic quartet" on the brilliant '70s albums Belonging and My Song; gospel-based, powerful--funky, even--with wonderful solos by all three musicians, they have an element rarely found in Jarrett's music-i.e., fun-and are themselves worth the price of admission. Not that the other stuff isn't good, too; it is, even with the usual distractions of Jarrett's physical conniptions, his annoying tendency to hum or sing along with his playing, and so on. All in all, a good show, with "Rider" and "God Bless the Child" satisfying the search for the sublime. --Sam Graham
Top customer reviews
2. To all Keith fans, this is a must have and a true inspiration for all jazz fanatics
The video aspect is good. Many closeups of facial expressions and hands on instruments. Very enjoyable to see this for someone who hasn't been able to see them in person.
Keith being Keith. Gary inspired. The great Jack DeJohnette playing the drums with actual melody--how does he do that? I love this recording.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Jazz > Bebop
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Jarrett, Keith
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > TV