- 20" shoulder drop
- 12.5" high
- 15.5" wide
- Full grain cowhide leather exterior body material with fully lined interior. This leather is a natural material and therefore subject to change from hide to hide and with daily use. The distressed appearance with occasional blemishes and variance in color is normal and does not mean there is any quality issue with the product. Irregularities in the consistency of this leather are inherent of its natural beauty and personality.
- Double gusset, flap over construction with pull through top handle and secure tuck lock closures.
Black Friday Deals are here
Save on select clothing, shoes, jewelry, watches, and more. Select styles and sizes. Prices as marked. Shop now.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
The Kenneth Cole Reaction Columbian Leather Flapover Computer Case has a classic briefcase style in Columbian leather made modern with a padded laptop sleeve, organizer panel, and pockets. The Porthole design is classic and convenient while roomy compartment and pockets make this bag functional and versatile. This bag has been rated Best of the Best by eBags customers.
- Product Dimensions: 4 x 16 x 12.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 10.4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- ASIN: B004AK9Z2K
- Item model number: 524435
- Date first available at Amazon.com: November 3, 2010
- Average Customer Review:
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Full Grain - This comes from the outermost layer of the hide and includes all of the grain (hence the name). Some characteristics include noticeable markings of the animal like scars & wrinkles, a tougher and more durable feeling texture, a tendency to develop a nice patina and age well with time, and a slight water resistance. This is the best leather that money can buy, and this is what this bag is claimed to be!
Top Grain - This is the layer removed from the outermost layer of the hide. The top layer of the leather is sanded and shaved off. Gone are the typically noticeable markings that might have been present in full grain leather. While this leather is still somewhat durable, it no longer contains the strongest fibers, which is why this grade typically does not age as well. This is slightly softer than full grain leather, and it has a much more uniform surface.
Genuine Leather - This is one of the biggest shams in the industry as it fools many consumers into thinking that "genuine" denotes high quality. This is far from the truth. This leather is what is left after the better parts of the hide have been stripped off. All that is left is the weakest corium layer of the skin. This material is imprinted with fake wrinkles and pores to resemble higher quality leather. Genuine leather is generally soft to the touch, highly water absorbent, easily damaged, and it ages horribly.
A quick review: I was very excited at the prospect of finding a supposedly high quality full grain bag that seemed to fit the style that I was looking for. When the day finally came to unbox my soon to be carrier of important business, I was immediately let down by what my hands felt. Why is this so soft? Please don't let it be.. And there it was, staring me right in the face. A big tag: "Genuine Leather." You got me good Kenneth Cole. At least Samsonite's bag (also made with the same cheap leather) didn't make blatantly false claims about their product. I've attached pictures to show to tag, damage upon arrival, and shamefully hasty build.
Pros - Looks good from a distance. Well padded. Many usable pockets.
Cons - Cheap materials (genuine leather, weak alloy for fasteners, weak zippers, frayed threads on stitching). Cheap build (single stitched, no rivets on stress points, folded in or covered up edges to hide the low quality leather.
TL;DR This product is a farce of low quality materials and cheap build. It's disappointing to see so many positive reviews for a knock-off. Please up vote this review to help others who might potentially waste their money.
*Update May, 2015: When I first made this review, I contacted Amazon about the misinformation regarding this product. Seems they haven't changed anything.
Not that it's a problem for me, but some people might be discouraged to find the color is a much darker shade of brown. I personally like it, but the brown is extremely dark, not the lighter richer brown as shown. I can't really knock the seller though, I took a picture for this review and the color looked pretty much the same as the color shown. I decided to check it out in different lighting and it remains pretty dark to my eye.
My one problem is that it arrived with about an inch of stitching undone around handle. It seems to be nothing more than a cosmetic error, but it's pretty annoying. I would have just contacted Amazon for an exchange, but I'm leaving for a trip so I'm stuck with it.
1) Quality leather and construction
2) Great padded laptop compartment
3) Plenty of compartments for folders and paperwork
4) Has a carry handle as well as an adjustable shoulder strap
5) Has holders for pens, pencils, and a stylus
6) Decent price point
1) Buckles on the front need 2 hands to release (a bit of a nuisance, especially when there are many quality one handed release latches available)
2) Single magnet holding back outer pouch makes it look a bit sloppy over time. It's also a nuisance when you are reaching with one hand to open the pocket to put something into it with the same hand and the magnet keeps slapping it shut. A zipper would fix both issues.
The buckles slide in underneath the fake buckles on the exterior, which could be kind of annoying if you're a "shove my stuff in the bag and go" kind of guy. But that hasn't been a bother for my boyfriend yet. The briefcase has multiple compartments that you can store things in, including a pocket that you can keep pens in, and a laptop area that includes a strap to keep the laptop from falling out. Great briefcase!
1, Looks more professional than carrying the free laptop bag issued at work.
2. I like the way the pockets were created throughout the bag to help organize different items.
3. The leather is soft, which feels good on the skin.
What I dislike:
1. There are some places the leather scratched off, and it almost looks like it's not 100% leather throughout. It's very obvious.
2. The foam stuffed padding on the strap that goes over the shoulder tore apart within the first month or two. Not sure how to replace it, but then... I wouldn't want the same cheap one from KC.
3. The leather tongues that come out of the buckles in the front started to curl up a lot! It's very embarrassing and unprofessional the way they curl up all the way, and no matter how much I try to straighten them out with weights, they curl back up in less than 24 hours.
I would not recommend this product. With so many competing products in the market, I'm sure you can do better for the same budget.