Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,420 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,645 reviews
on March 30, 2012
I have an iPad3. I bought both this, the Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 Removable Keyboard, Case and Stand for iPad 2 and New iPad (K39512US), and the Zagg ZAGGfolio with Keyboard for The New iPad 3G (FOLCARSLV101). The Kensington I bought from Amazon and the Zagg I bought from Best Buy. So this is a comparitive review of both products used with the iPad 3.

First the Kensington KeyFolio Pro 2 since thats the product I'm posting this reviw on. I'm typing this part with it now.

This one seems to have a better overall design than the ZAGGfolio and is capable of being set up in a larger number of positions. KeyFolio design advantages:

- Significantly less expensive than the ZAGGfolio.
- Easier to open.
- Seems to stay closed more securely with the keyboard removed.
- Easier to insert the iPad in the case.
- The iPad3 seems to be held more securely in this case.
- There's a stylus holder! This is very important if you ever use a stylus.
- The keyboard is held in securely by strong magnets, but is much easier to remove from the case.
- The USB port for charging the keyboard is exposed while inserted in the case so you don't have to partially remove the keyboard to charge it.
- The iPad panel of the case has velcro on the bottom so, with the keyboard removed, you can stand the iPad up at any angle from vertical to a very low angle that's suitable for typing on the on-screen keyboard if you want. Unlike the Zagg, there are no fixed notches that limit you to 2 or so different stand angles. This continuous range of possible angles is VERY useful.
- While neither case is very good for typing when placed on your lap, the KeyFolio is better for this than the Zagg.
- With the keyboard still inserted, the KeyFolio is more comfortable to hold when you fold the cover over to use the iPad like a tablet. It's not that much better but is it easier to avoid pressing the keys with the back resting on your hand. Since its also easier to remove the keyboard, it's easier to switch to using the tablet like this without the keyboard.
- The KeyFolio keyboard has display brightness control keys while the Zagg doesn't. It also has a caps lock light, will allow you to type F1-F12, and has a couple of extra keys like Pause/Break. This may not matter for the iPad but makes the keyboard more useful if you ever pair it with a Windows machine device or something. This keyboard also has a separate Delete and Backspace as well as an Insert key.

KeyFolio Problems:

- Unlike some photos show, there doesn't seem to be any proper way to rotate the iPad into the portrait orientation while using the keyboard. You can take the iPad out and sort of stand it up being held by the bottom flap of the holder, but this doesnt hold it very securely.
- Currently I seem to be having some sort of problem where the left Shift key is interfering with the Z key. If I try to type ZAGG then I get Zagg because for some reason, Shift-Z essentially deactivates the Shift key even if you continue to hold down the shift key. (Releasing the shift and holding it down again, after typing Shift-Z, fixes the problem as does using the right Shift key.) The right Shift key doesn't seem to have this problem with neighboring keys. I'm unsure if this Shift-Z thing is a design problem or just a random manufacturing defect in my particular keyboard.
- This is minor, but the Command key is lacking the little curly corner command key symbol.
- As people have mentioned, the "new car smell" from the outgassing on the KeyFolio, right after you remove it from the box, is rather strong. I would expect this to go away once all the residue has evaporated and I plan to place it near an open window, with the keyboard removed and all surfaces exposed to air, to speed this up.

Now the ZAGGfolio. I'm typing this part using it. Here are its advantages over the KeyFolio:

The overall design of the case is not that good, but it seems to be more durable and capable of better protecting the iPad. The keyboard is also a little larger and seems more solidly constructed.

- The hard plastic of the case is thicker, harder, and would seem to offer more protection. The KeyFolio isn't that bad but the Zagg is just more durable. Overall the ZAGGfolio construction is bit more solid.
- The keys on the keyboard are larger than the ones on the KeyFolio keyboard. The Space bar and modifier keys on the bottom row are also maybe 30% taller than the other keys. Overall the keyboard is larger but neither is a full-size keyboard.
- The Zagg keyboard can be used as a stand for the iPad with the iPad removed from the case.
- Because you can use the keyboard as a stand, you can stand the iPad up in portrait orientation though you can only do this if you remove the iPad from the case.
- Overall the Zagg keyboard is more solidly constructed though both keyboards are made of plastic. The Zagg keyboard is also a little larger but I don't know if this is for a larger battery or just to accomodate the built-in iPad stand.
- The Zagg keyboard has a "Globe" key in the lower left that can be used to switch the keyboard language. If there's any way to do this with the KeyFolio keyboard then I don't know what it is.
- While lacking brightness controls, the Zagg keyboard has dedicated Cut/Copy/Paste keys. Personally I think this is pointless because the standard Command-X/C/V key combos work on both keyboards and I'm much more used to those anyway.
- The Zagg has the auto on/off magnet that sleeps or wakes the iPad when you open/close the case.

ZAGGfolio problems:

- The outside of the thing is covered with this fake carbon fiber "skin" sticker that looks cheap-o and some have reported that it's prone to peeling off.
- The case doesn't feel like it clips securely closed if you try to close it with the keyboard removed. So I would not try to carry it around without the keyboard inserted.
- See "KeyFolio" advantages above for other shortcomings that I wouldn't necessarily consider outright problems.

Both cases have:
- Cutouts for all of the standard ports, buttons, speaker, camera, etc
- Enough space around the dock connector to support my larger-than-normal 3rd party cable.
- Bluetooth keyboards that have a "connect" button for easy obvious pairing.
- Once paired, both keyboards connect instantly after being powered on. You will not be able to get your hands on the keys before they connect.
- Both have special keys for the home key, slide show, mute/volume, audio player control, on-screen keyboard show/hide, search, and lock.
- Both have Ctrl/Option/Command and arrow keys.
- Some way to stand the ipad up for typing or viewing video/etc, and a way to fold the keyboard side of the cover behind the tablet for tablet-only use.
- Use a standard micro USB port for charging.
- A certain look. The Kensington looks more "white collar" and the Zagg looks more "blue collar". I don't consider either of these styles to be better than the other so I've noted it here to point it out.
- Both seem about as bulky. Maybe the KeyFolio seems a little thinner just because it's softer.

Verdict:

Aside from the weird Shift-Z problem that might just be a defect in my particular unit, I like the Kensington KeyFolio better. The smaller keys don't really bother me, I REALLY want that stylus holder, I like the ease of removing the keyboard, the usb charging port is exposed without removing the keyboard, the velcro angle stand with infinite positions is very useful. I don't care if I can stand the iPad up on the keyboard alone with no case. The iPad seems to be held more securely (not as loose). If I need to type on my lap, this one is easier to do that with. The Kensington is also less expensive and overall seems to be a better value. Lastly, the keyboard seems to be more suitable for use with other devices if needed.

So if that stuff is what's important to you then I'd get the Kensington KeyFolio.

If you need larger keys, more solid (but not quite milspec) protection for tougher environments, better support for portrait orientation, never use a stylus, really want that auto sleep/wake magnet, and/or like the tough-looking style (vs the office management organizer style), then get the ZAGGfolio.

UPDATE: See comments section for a report on wear-and-tear after a month of daily use.
1010 comments| 878 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2012
I want to set the record straight on this product since there are alot of people that are complaining about stupid stuff that does not have anything to do with what people want this for.
1. The product is awesome with the bluetooth connection. It connects very easy one touch and a couple of blinks from the from your iPad and then you are rolling.
2. I have gotten a lot of comments about how it looks and how easy it is to carry everything all in one place.
3. Access to all of the slots on your iPad is open and easy to reach.
4. iPad fits in the compartment of the case very easy and will not just fall out on its own.
5. Keyboard is very quick to respond like a regular computer when you type. No, it is not to small on the keys, buttons does not just pop off, or sticks while typing.
6. Battery life on this keyboard is great due to it does not run dead quickly or takes long to charge.The great feature that people have forgot to mention is that the keyboard has a self-power saver. It cuts it self off to save power.
7. Shipping was very quick and only took made 3 days to get here.
Now to something that is true and not true, the smell. There is a very strong smell once you open the product which is in a bag inside the box. The smell does go away after a while.
Well that is all I have right now will repost if I find something different other than that go ahead and purchase this item because it has some other cool features on the keyboard that you might like. Enjoy
11 comment| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2011
With only one previous review on the item, I was skeptical, of course. It arrived today and I love it, for all the reasons the previous reviewer stated. Love the stand-up feature. Love the removable keyboard, as I have movable or external keyboards for all my devices, including laptops and HP Jornada (anyone remember those?). Keyboard is small but has nice feel and functionality for my medium size fingers; might not suit big fingers. Once the IPad is in the case, the Apple screen Smart Cover can still be attached (albeit from the bottom edge). I'm obsessive compulsive about protecting my screens because they're the things you can't replace. And I'm obsessive about having my accessories, especially the protective ones, available: for example, should I need to remove the IPad from the case. Best of all in my estimation is its multi-functionality: case, keyboard, and stand. Attractive looking black case, too. A very nice Kensington product!
0Comment| 291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2013
A month after purchase, a key (the T in the middle of the keyboard) fell off. There doesn't seem to be any way to snap it back on.

I attempted to get help by navigating Kensington's website, which is a total mess of FAQ pages and pages that never take you to a live chat or a way to submit a repair/RMA request.

Based on my experience with Kensington support, I would not buy another product made by them.

UPDATE
after emailing Kensington regarding the broken keyboard, and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any way to initiate a warranty claim on their website, they replied with an email containing a link to their support. The link returns a "site cannot be found" error. When I emailed them and reported this, they replied and said they couldn't help me, I would have to contact their customer support at (you guessed it) the same link that is broken! This would be funny, if I wasn't stuck with a product that broke a month after purchase and no way to get it replaced. Bad Kensington.
on March 11, 2012
After much reading and comparing, I chose this unit. The bad smell went away real soon. Overall, we like this product very much, and really don't want to send it back.

PROS:
1. The overall construction and design are acceptable.
2. The keyboard works well (when it is connected)

CONS:
1. They should have put in a 'sleep' magnet
2. They should have provided for portrait positioning
3. The keyboard is TERRIBLE at connecting/staying connected. It goes off at the slightest 'sleep' action of the iPad, or on its own, then is a nightmare to reconnect. Just pressing the 'connect' button doesn't work. Turning it off and back on sometimes works. Initiating a connect in iPad sometimes works. Multiple of each usually gets it reconnected, sometimes with one or two tries, sometimes taking many more.

I'm coming up on 30 days after receipt. I don't know what the time limit is for returning, but I am very concerned that the keyboard connect issue is getting worse. I would rather do a return as defective, rather than try to deal with a warranty issue with a company of unknown repute.

If anyone at Kensington or Amazon wishes to address this connection issue, please contact me.

Bill

I returned the first unit and ordered a new one. It came recently and all the good features mentioned here are still valid. My experience with connectivity is still HORRIBLE!

I took my Kensingtion Folio/iPad2 to class all day yesterday at the Augusta Apple store. During the day, I used the product to take notes. During the day, I had the opportunity to show it off to 3 very interested customers, and promote Amazon. (Apple doesn't sell this - - I didn't tell of the connection issues.) I had to fiddle many times to get the keyboard to connect. I asked the Apple agent to consider my iPad being at fault. He suggested we connect the iPad with my iMac's bluetooth keyboard. We paired it and it connected immediately. We did several instances of turning the iPad off/on, sleep/wake, etc. The Apple keyboard was there EVERY time without doing anything.

I packed up my iMac/keyboard in its original packaging in the big iMac box and took it to my car. I turned off my iPad and took the rest of my accessories to the car. I drove home and greeted my wife, opened the iPad to check e-mails and notes from the day. With notes up, I tried to write a small addition... I could not. Why? Because the Apple bluetooth keyboard 30 feet away out in the garage, in the car, in it's packaging boxes was still connected!

AGAIN!!! Is anyone at Amazon or Kensington listening here? Shall I send this one back too? or is this just the quality level you are happy with?

Please respond.

Bill
on January 12, 2012
I looked around for an iPad case with keyboard and I had a few criteria. First, I wanted something that had a removable keyboard, and preferably one on the larger size. Second, I wanted the keyboard to be supercompatible -- not buggy and weird. Third, I wanted it to have an adjustable screen angle. Fourth, I wanted it to look good.

The first keyfolio I came across that seemed to fit the bill was the Poetic, but there was a warning that there was no way to secure the flap that held your iPad in (one guy had his come slipping out and it broke), and the way it propped up looked fairly unstable (like a picture frame). The KHOMO appeared identical but without the "no security" warning. But the name! Sheesh. I'd be taking this to work meetings, and the large label ... well, not everyone is mature.

Then I saw the Kensington, and while it looked new and untested, it seemed to have what I wanted. It does! The keypad works great. No issues at all. And it's larger than my boss's Zagg case keypad. And it's removable, but not so easily so that it slides around while you're working. The screen angle adjusts -- within limits, but that's a step up from other cases. And it looks good. Not great, or flashy, but it'll do. And you can lay it flat and pull your stylus out of the handy pen loop when you're using it to take notes that way.

The security issue, unfortunately, does exist with this case. The flap that tucks in around your iPad does not have velcro or a snap or what have you, so you have to be vigilant when you're carrying it around. I experimented with the iPad out, pushing it from the inside, and it seems the material on the flap and the interior back of the case have a good amount of friction, so I'm not too terribly worried -- you should be pretty cautious and conscientious when you're handling a piece of expensive electronics as a rule, right?

But that is really the only failing I can come up with after two weeks of use. The holes for the cameras and ports all line up. The keypad charger cord fits your iPad charger plug. And the price, compared to what is on the market, is right.

In all, I'm very pleased with my purchase and recommend it highly. The only ways I see to improve it is to work on the flap/security and to get some snappy colors going.
on May 15, 2012
I'm typing this on the Kensington itself, and I have to say that, 10 minutes out of the box, it's a breeze to type on. I do web development and blogging, and so having a keyboard that wasn't too tiny was of great concern. This, however, is awesome. The only part that requires a bit of practice is the right shift key (shortened so there were rooms for arrow keys, and a ".com" key I doubt I'll ever remember about).

Some other commenters complain about smell, but it's not atypical and certainly not nauseating, at least for me. I suspect it will go away soon, but I'm not really noticing it now, so it's hardly a deal breaker. Pairing was easy as pie as well. And having purchased this product with the Bamboo Stylus for iPad, Black (CS100K), it's got a great spot to store that doesn't interfere with any of the functions.

The only issue, and it's not worth returning over, is the lack of a "sleep" function. As stated by other reviewers, the iPad doesn't go to sleep when you close the "lid," so you have to be sure to press the lock button on the iPad. Or, even easier, just hit f12 on the keyboard, and it will lock your screen. So there's a tiny extra step, but honestly it takes less than a second to hit the key, and I'm sure with a day or two it will become habit.

Laying flat is a little ....weird. It lays almost flat (with the keyboard in), but it's still awkward if you're using an app (e.g. Draw Something) that only has a portrait setting. This, again, is minor, since most of the apps I use and would use with the keyboard work both horizontally and vertically.

As far as security, I followed the advice of a another reviewer and gave it a "shake test" over something soft, to see if the iPad would slide out. Sure enough, it didn't, though to note I'm using the New iPad so it's a bit thicker than the iPad 2. However, the flap that folds over the iPad holds well, and the strap that's built into the case will keep it folded shut. Naturally, I carried it around like I would a book, and so my hand folded over the only point that the iPad would slide out (which again didn't even when deliberately shaken). So it's a safe bet it won't be falling out on its own anytime soon.

I've heard a few concerns about the velcro wearing out, and I have to say even when it does, I'm not sure the case would be useless. The design of the case (with a natural crease on the folding side) leans the weight to naturally sit where it does, and while the velcro adds security, it doesn't seem to be too necessary (unless you're using it on your lap or something).

Another complaint was about the camera being partially hidden by the back hole, but that's not my experience with the iPad sitting naturally.

If you're interested, like I was, on blending the benefit of a touchscreen with the typing speed/editability of a keyboard (did I mention the stylus holder and the sleek look of the case?), you won't go wrong with this case. I'm rather picky, and this one seemed to be the best solution for me. As for the naysayers who don't want to turn their iPad into a laptop, imagine a guy like me who needs internet on the go (sim card) and something smaller than my editing laptop that I can carry around. No regrets with this one. I only gave it four stars because of the lack of auto-sleep, but really that shouldn't be a barrier to purchase, because its minor (read: really minor).

Cheers!
on July 18, 2012
I was afraid this might be a little cheesy and/or cheaply made. However it it has the look and feel of a top end product. The case is substantial and offers excellent support at various angles. The fit (new iPad) is perfect, all the controls and ports are accessible, and the BT Keyboard paired up immediately. The keyboard is small, but it has good touch and is very functional. I particularly like the use of velcro which provides excellent non-slip support without being intrusive. The keyboard is slim and gracefully attached with magnets.

I know, I know... the ipad isn't a laptop, it's an iPad. Having a nice little keyboard makes you want a nice little matching mouse, and that's not going to happen. That being said, having this case and keyboard open up lots of very practical additional uses for my iPad. A very pleasant surprise.
on January 5, 2012
Today is 1/5/2012, the case arrived in about 5 days for standard shipping (about a week earlier than the checkout pages said it would). I think the earlier reviews all pretty much mentioned why it's a very useful case. I'll just point out a few things that you might want to know, though none of them are deal-breakers by any means.

1. Unlike the other ipad case (KeyFolio Pro - K39357US), this one does not allow you to sit up the ipad in portrait mode. Not a big deal if you use landscape majority of the time.

2. The space to plug in the main cable into the ipad (below the home button) is a little tight. They could have cut a little notch into the case in that location to make it easier to plug/unplug.

3. I wish they provided a little space in the case for the keyboard/usb (recharging the keyboard) cable so I dont have to carry that cable separately.

4. One of my main usages of the ipad is to take notes (say in class) where I will want to both 1) type some comments, and 2) use a stylus or finger to draw/sketch/write. It's difficult to do both (type, hand-write) when both the ipad and keyboard are secured in the case. The easiest way around it is to remove the keyboard and fold the ipad flat. But of course that means I have to put the two pieces together later on. An alternative is to rotate the keyboard 180 degrees so then the ipad is on the 'bottom' instead. THat way, i can write with finger/stylus with the ipad closest to me and still be able to type if i reach outwards a little. I just need to be a little careful not to let my palms touch the screen when i am typing, hope that helps others with similar use-cases.

******

Overall though, a stellar product.
on December 3, 2012
I picked this up for two main reasons:

1) To protect the iPad while still being usable

2) To make it more useful with a keyboard

Let me cover how well this functions with each of my needs.

Protection and usability:

I'm using an iPad2, and the sleeve to hold the iPad in fits snugly. There is no movement once it's settled in, so cameras stay aligned, and things look flush. The iPad itself is secured with a strap where you insert it, that wraps around the top (in landscape, so by the volume rocker) and sits between the back of the iPad and the inside of the cover. It seems more than secure for normal movement. The face of the iPad has protection around the entire bezel in the form of the colored faux-leather material, which also provides a buffer between the iPad and the keyboard which is critical since you close the iPad onto the keyboard. There is no protection on the corners, though the cover does extend beyond these corners. Still, if dropped, this cover probably wouldn't stop damage from happening to at least 2 corners of the device.

I am pretty rough with my technology, and feel that this cover is sturdy enough to protect the pad from the miscellaneous scuffs and bumps, if I have the cover closed. One thing that surprised me was that this cover (the light brown version) DOES NOT COME WITH A STRAP to keep it closed. This is contrary to the initial pictures you see showing a strap that holds the cover closed. If you notice, these pictures are all for the black colored version of this cover. Looking again at the various color offerings, I'm able to see that the subtle bump of the strap that appears in the picture on the Black cover is missing when looking at the other colors, but none of the supplemental text or pictures indicates this. This was one of those last selling points to me at the time of purchase, as such a strap would be very useful to me for keeping the cover closed when moving around from place to place. I will have to explore adding a strap myself, so please be aware that if you're not buying the black colored cover, you will not get a strap.

All ports are accessible. Landscape mode is the default orientation, and this case is engineered solely for that mode. There is no way to swivel the device from inside the case. I knew this when buying, so it was not a detraction for me, but I can see this being a concern for some.

As far as actually using the pad, when configured in the setup you see in most of the pics, that is the iPad positioned above the keyboard, it is quite usable. I was typing out blog entries with the cover on my lap in this orientation. The velcro method of stabilization, as others have mentioned, is fairly ingenious, and works well. The keyboard itself sits inside a recessed portion in the case. If the keyboard is removed (which is easy to do, though the keyboard does have magnets to hold it in), the case surface is velcro here too, allowing for the screen to be angled any way you want. I prefer having the keyboard inside the case, but it's nice to have the option.

The one other thing to keep in mind from a usability perspective is that if you plan on using the iPad without a keyboard for a while (such as playing a game), it is not intuitive how you should hold the cover. Holding it with the back cover dangling is very heavy and unwieldy. Taking pictures in this fashion will be a little cumbersome (though not impossible). The way (I'm assuming) that you are supposed to use the cover for this purpose is to utilize a small strip of velcro located BELOW the keyboard, right at the bottom of the cover. Doing so still give a little bit of angle, but also makes the cover nearly flat, and becomes a little easier to hold in a traditional manner. It is still heavy, but I was able to play games without any hindrance once I discovered this orientation.

I will share the concern another user raised about how long the velcro loops will hold up - I have no evidence in my week of use that there are quality issues, but the concept of reusing velcro means that you will eventually run into wear and tear issues at some point. There is a 2 year limited warranty, so you might have luck with a replacement if it fails in the warranty period, but wear and tear is not covered, so YMMV.

So all told, this cover met just about all of my needs for protection. The corners are a little exposed, there's no strap to keep the case closed with the color I got, and I see some potential wear down on the velcro happening at some point, but the cover is wonderfully usable, and very study and well made.

Keyboard:

The keyboard was a nice bonus for me in a cover, and many of the features have been well documented in reviews. As mentioned above, it sits in a recessed portion of the cover, so it can remain in the cover when you close it, as the keys sit just below the housing to (mostly) prevent keys from being depressed when closed. There is also a protective barrier around the iPad bezel, which doubles as a means of preventing the screen of the iPad from hitting the housing of the keyboard or its keys. That said, I'd probably still recommend a screenguard of some sort, as there is no additional protection for your screen. Also, the keys can be slightly depressed when the cover is closed, if there is enough pressure put on the case from various points. Fortunately, you can turn the keyboard off, so you shouldn't experience any battery drain issues from a closed cover, as long as you remember to do that. Simply letting the keyboard go to sleep (after 15 minutes) isn't enough, as keypresses will wake it up, so a closed cover pushing keys will both wake the keyboard and wake the iPad if the keyboard is left on.

The keyboard itself feels solid, and my hands fit it perfectly (I'm used to a netbook's reduced keyboard footprint, and it seems the keys on this keyboard were identically sized). The nice part about this keyboard are the functional keys, which can do the following: Go to home screen (double tapping brings up the open apps list, but holding does not initiate moving or closing apps), opening a slideshow of your picutres, toggle the onscreen keyboard (I never had an issue where the onscreen keyboard appeared when I was using the keyboard, but it's nice to have I guess), a search key, media keys (previous, play/pause/ next), volume mute, volume down, volume up, and a lock button. These really help with a lot of the little gestures and tasks that I do, so it was nice to have them on the keyboard.

Having a keyboard included with this case really transforms the iPad from a tablet to a netbook for me, without the hindrances that a netbook has. The keyboard is perfect, fits the case well, and stays out of the way when you don't need it. I don't see how I'll use any table in the future without one, and fortunately, with this being a bluetooth keyboard, I won't have to.

So, for my needs, this case fit my needs almost perfectly (and certainly better than most anything else I saw). That it was very reasonable priced when I purchased it (thanks to Black Friday) made this impossible to ignore. I have given this 5 stars, but if things like a strap to keep the case closed, or Portrait mode useability from within the case is important to you, you will have to look elsewhere.