Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 100 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on August 3, 2013
This stereo works great right out of the box. I'm very pleased with the quality of the sound and all of the features. This was installed in a BMW 328is coupe to replace a stock stereo. The car has stock speakers and no amplifier. The only negative is that the installation instructions are extremely poor and not very detailed, however you can figure them out with some time and thought. Other than the very poor installation instructions, I am very pleased with the unit. It has all of the features I was looking for and the Bluetooth works great and was easy to pair to devices. When I plugged in my Iphone, it paired immediately and you can access all of your music and select from your address book. It has a CD player but will all of the music stored on the phone and Ipod, I will probably never use the CD player. I purchased the Metra 70-8590 wiring harness for the install. You will definitely need this as well as an antenna adapter (I purchased the Metra 40-VW10). You DO NOT need any faceplate adapters. All of the wires on the wiring harness color matched exactly with the stereo wires with one exception. There is a blue wire on the wiring harness that must be connected to the blue wire with white stripe that comes out of the stereo. After matching and connecting all of the other wires exactly, if you do not connect the blue with the blue with white stripe you will not get any sound out of the speakers. Took me a bit to figure this out. I love this stereo because the illumination can be color changed to your preference, all of the selection features and menus are easy to navigate, the Bluetooth works awesome!!! You can use an external Ipod or Iphone music, and the sound through the stock speakers is 100% better than the old stock stereo. This is an incredible unit for the price!
on October 19, 2016
Plenty of features in a small package - maybe a bit too small as it's crowded multi-functions buttons are nearly impossible to operate while driving. The initial rating would have been 4 stars.
However the story doesn't end there: the deck worked fine for a nearly a year then went into "Protect" mode. The manual suggests a reset as first solution. The reset solved the issue for a few months more, when the "protect" mode returned, again solved by a reset.
Now, just under two years from purchase, the "protect" mode returned the third time and this time reset failed to solve the issue. Checking the speaker connections for possible shorts - as suggested by the manual - found no errors. The protect mode won't resolve even with all speakers disconnected. The manual suggest to take the deck for a test at an authorized dealer - good luck finding a shop that would look at it and do you really want to spend $100 for a test to tell you it's cheaper to buy a new deck that to repair this one.
In my book this qualifies as useless junk.
on December 22, 2013
I bought this for my 626. It has a lot of features that I don't use. So my review is based only on my use of:

• Bluetooth to play my songs streamed from my phone
• USB port so I can change my phone
• Bluetooth for hands-free calls
• CD player
• Radio to listen to local weather/bridge conditions

I've been using this radio for three weeks now, and to be honest, I can't think of any real cons. Here are some nit-pick cons, though:

• You have to change the settings so that Bluetooth audio comes through all speakers. Initially, it only plays through the front speakers.
• The "6" button double for a Play/Pause button. In my brain, play/pause should be its own button, and very prominent. Nevertheless, it's takes about 10 seconds to get used to using the 6 button, so no biggie.
• It feels like $110 is a bit pricey for a radio, however this is a very feature-rich unit and it's very competitively priced.

Notable pros based on my limited experience:

• I bought my radio from Amazon in December 2013 and it came with the latest firmware (3.0) which has all the Bluetooth firmware fixes. Pairing is very easy—I never looked at the user manual to figure it out. It has never dropped out. When I start the car and get in, it automatically re-pairs with my phone and is ready to go.
• Listening to calls through the car stereo is cool, and others say that the sound quality through this Kenwood mic/unit is very good. It's also turned out handy because I'm currently in a place where the law requires one to use hands-free phones.
• The changing lights are very cool. Kids love it. You can also fix it on any of the 25 colors.
• Although this radio is meant to work with an iPhone or iPad, Kenwood also offers an Android app. I find no use for it, actually, but in an iPhone-centric world, I'm glad Kenwood has made the effort to reach out to Android owners.
• Because of static and dryness, a lot of dust collects on it. But I can remove the faceplate to clean/dust it really well.

I love this Kenwood and recommend it whole-heartily.

I installed it using the following, all of which I recommend:

• OTC 7575 Radio Removal Tool for Ford
• Metra 99-7505 Single or Double DIN Installation Multi-Kit for Select 1994-2006 Mazda Vehicles -Black
• Metra 70-7903 Radio Wiring Harness for Mazda 01-Up Power/4 Speaker
• Gardner Bender AMT-121 22-18 Gauge Butt Splice, 25-Pack
• Irwin Industrial Tools 2078300 8-Inch Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper with ProTouch Grips
• Wagner Spray Tech 0503008K Dual-Temperature Heat Gun

I've never installed a radio before, but I followed YouTube videos for removing the old one (search for "Mazda Miata Stereo Removal and Repair 1999 2005" because it's the identical double-DIN radio) and wiring documents found on the Web, and it all came together without a single problem.
on December 23, 2013
I purchased this as an early christmas gift for my daughter (college senior), shortly after Thanksgiving. The installation was completed by Best Buy, but purchased the stereo from Amazon $30 cheaper. The item was installed in a 2007 Corolla S in about 40 minutes. My daughter was very pleased. She is able to stream her Iphone and Ipad playlists through the unit. I was really happy with the wireless blue-tooth capability and how easily it paired with ther phone. Since using a cell phone without a handheld device in maryland is a primary offense, before having this unit, my daugheter would not answer the phone if she was driving. With this unit, if someone calls, it shuts down her music or whatever is audible, and the caller ID on the unit LCD tells her who is calling and she can talk without touching her phone. The unit has a built-on microphone, so she can talk normally without taking her hands off of the steering wheel. A lot of technology for the $, good deal! It makes her two-hour round-trip commute more tolerable.
on May 8, 2014
If you didn't get the joke above, it's okay as long as it got your attention. I honestly don't have any regrets in purchasing this stereo. My intentions were to buy a good stereo that could replace the factory stereo in my Honda Prelude with an option to upgrade my system in the future. My setup right now is 4 "decent" speakers that will be upgraded later, 1 12" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofer, and 1 Kenwood 1800 Watt Mono Amplifier. All I can say is that this is the best setup I've had and I constantly get compliments on the quality of the audio. I'm not blasting bass all the time, but if I want to show off, I will. =]

The design of the head unit is very nice. Its nice and sleek, and somewhat similar to the previous models, so it adds a bit of familiarity when adjusting the settings. You can change the color of the LEDs so it can match your choice of color and it will match any interior setup. It offers a USB and an AUX input, so It can support a lot of phones, iPods, and any MP3 if you're planning to listen to your own music library like I am. Let's not forget about the CD player. The LCD screen is better than the previous models, and the screen actually displays the name of the songs/albums/artists better than the previous model, and if you're listening to the radio, it will even read the name of the song and artist playing, which is a cool little feature that is often omitted. It comes with Bluetooth, so you can connect any of your hands free device. This stereo is also satellite ready.

What else can you ask for? This stereo provides everything that I need. It comes with plenty of features and settings that can adjust to anyone's needs. It's ideal for a sound/bass/music/quality enthusiast or just anyone in need of a new stereo. 5 stars from me!
on March 3, 2015
Technology is a wonderful thing! I put one of these in my 2006 Ford F-650, and now driving that rig and using my iPhone is almost as good as using the phone in my brand new Honda Fit with its Bluetooth iPhone interface. I can make and receive calls hands free using Siri by pressing the little phone button on the faceplate, and I'm told the sound quality of my voice is quite good on the other end. The people I'm talking to sure sound good in the truck. I mounted the mic on my sun visor so the mic is quite close to my mouth - that surely helps the sound quality and cutting noise down from the truck.

Oh, and the unit is also a pretty great stereo. CD player, Bluetooth music from your phone or plug your phone/ipod in with a USB cable to play music and charge your device as well. 24 radio presets (18 FM and 6 AM). Plenty of power for this old guy, but I don't blast music anymore. Love it!
on December 13, 2013
Bought this on sale at Amazon for $115 and I'm loving it. I have a '98 Toyota RAV4 and installation was really a snap. I had priced out professional installation and was quoted $50 but I bought a cable adaptor on Ebay and my original Toyota stereo had the correct installation brackets that just screwed right into this Kenwood.

Started right up. Everything works. The bluetooth hands free phone is awesome. Reads my contact list and then shows who's calling on the display. Connects to my Galaxy 4 when I get in the car and then I can stream music from my spotify account.

Haven't tried the USB connection but I'm not worried.

I can't believe that I waited this long to replace my stereo.
on August 12, 2013
I have a Galaxy SIII and wanted to have a stereo in my car that could connect to pandora and give me hands free calling.

This stereo is exactly what I wanted and works like a dream.

The bluetooth pairing was a piece of cake, I didn't even need to consult the directions as it was common sense pairing, Pandora sound quality is 100x better than my bluetooth/fm transmitter I was replacing, and now I can charge my phone at the same time while I listen to pandora.

The microphone that comes with it has great sound quality according to the people I've talked to ( I mounted it on the steering column right in front of me).

The display isn't too bright and is nice and simple.

I love being able to browse my pandora stations from the head unit without having to fiddle with my phone. You can also save your 3 favorite pandora stations on the numbers like a radio station. The rest you can browse alphabetically.

Overall it's better than I could have anticipated and would definitely recommend it.
on September 17, 2013
My husband bought this to replace the factory radio in our 2005 Chevy Silverado. He knew we needed to buy an installation kit to fit the radio in our truck because the new receiver is much smaller than the factory installed one, so we did.

What he didn't know was that we needed an adapter for the radio antennae (the factory one wouldn't fit in the new receiver) and that we'd need a harness adapter. The harness adapter is the thing that all the wires hook into that makes the speakers and everything work. I'm sure all you guys reading this are cringing at my female attempt to explain, but oh well. :)

For any female reading this, it is super easy to install this radio! My husband ended up delaying the installation too long, so I did it myself. I have never done anything like this before but I was able to remove the dash on our truck and remove the radio, attach the wires on the harness and all the other stuff. Was really easy. The most difficult part was screwing and unscrewing all the screws. It wasn't even difficult, just annoying. So, don't get scared off from buying one because you don't have the money to have it installed or your husband/boyfriend/whomever decided they didn't have time to install it. You can do it! :)

So, to reiterate, if you're buying this (or any other aftermarket radio) make sure you will or won't need an installation kit, a radio antennae adapter, or a harness adapter. Especially if it's a present for your wife or girlfriend and the installation keeps getting delayed due to not having what's needed. ;)

So, regarding this stereo? Love it. Love using Pandora on my phone. Love the Bluetooth capability. Sound is great and I can't believe I've survived this long with my 'dinosaur' of a stereo in my truck. :)
on May 16, 2014
I bought this thinking it was the best deal for the money. It was for a while. It worked great but Come to find out less than one year later the CD player stopped working suddenly and Bluetooth has major lagging issues its possible that it is my phone but Bluetooth worked fine on the Walmart special deck perfectly...... I am very disappointed in this product. I cannot use the CD player which would be fine I could get by with Bluetooth if it worked so I basically have a radio for 150$ A product should just be good. I have yet to contact Kenwood but I'm not seeing how that will help me. i am one upset individual.