Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
4 Year Asurion Auto Accessories Protection Planfrom Asurion, LLC
- Covers failures due to power surge and other mechanical and electrical breakdowns.
- No deductibles or hidden fees. Shipping included on all repairs. Fully transferable.
- Easy claims process online 24/7. If we can't fix it, we will send you an Amazon e-Card reimbursement for your product purchase price.
- Plan term and select coverage begins date of purchase and is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty. All other coverage begins after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Plan is fully refunded if canceled within 30 days.
- Plan contract will be emailed from Asurion within 24 hours of purchase. This will not ship with your product.
Kenwood TH-D72A 144/440 MHz Handheld Amateur Transceiver w/ 1200/9600 BPS Packet TNC, Built-in GPS, Echolink Ready, 5 Watts
This item at this price, sold by Amazon.com, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members.Prime free trial and invitee customers: We will automatically apply an Amazon.com Gift Card to your Gift Card Balance in the amount equal to the Prime exclusive discount after you become a paid Prime member. If you cancel your paid Prime membership or return the qualifying smartphone within the first 3 months of your paid Prime membership, we may void your Gift Card or charge you in the amount of the Gift Card. Terms and Conditions apply.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Built-in high-performance GPS receiver • APRS® firmware equipped as standard • USB (Mini-B) port (USB PC Programming cable included) • Kenwood MCP-4A PC Programming Software
- Kenwood Sky Command System II • Compatible with ARRL "Travel Plus" for Repeaters • Simple node access with EchoLink® memory • DX Cluster Tune (Packet Cluster)
- Built-in 1200/9600 bps TNC compliant with AX.25 protocol • Long operating hours (high-capacity battery included) • 1000 Memory Channels • Stand-alone digipeater
- Enhanced operating ease and visibility • MIL-STD810 & IP54 weatherproofing • Weather Alert/RX (US only)
- Power-on message • Cross-Tone
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Featuring the SiRFstar III high-performance GPS receiver, Kenwood's TH-D72A dual-band transceiver is compatible with APRS® data communications. Offering position and weather information, the TH-D72A opens up broad new vistas of outdoor enjoyment, especially for activities like trekking.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
GPS output can be dumped to a PC for use with PC-based mapping software as well, which is pretty handy.
Has an "Extra Low" power output level, which is great for hamfests, APRS, and other applications where you may be very close to a repeater and need battery life over power output
Easy PC Serial interface with standard mini-USB cable and built-in USB-RS232 interface
Quality construction, feels nice and solid in the hand
The audio volume and quality could be better, but the speaker is pretty small to accommodate the small form factor of this HT.
Device reboots whenever external 13.8V power supply is plugged in or unplugged
Overall 5 stars though.
I bought the external speaker/mic. The buttons on it can be mapped to any function. The programming software can import from other formats. All the functions can be setup using the software and sent to the radio. You can use the same programming cable and do packet radio as well.
I have setup APRS and used it when going back and forth to work. It operates well. Some say the battery life is shortened with GPS and APRS running and beacon mode on. I think it is shortened some but not as bad as I thought. It is always a good idea to have a second battery on hand-just in case.
I would highly recommend this radio. I have used Kenwood in the past. They have been great. This one is the best by far. I may get more and set them up for APRS to keep in cars to track them if they get stolen.
Update: A note on the backup battery, for some reason Kenwood made it a touch difficult to remove and replace the battery. You will need a very small bladed screwdriver or something else thin but stout. It could be a part of the weather proofing of the radio. I will take that over a ruined radio.
Now as for this Achilles heel I mentioned, the antenna mount, it is cheap, it is fragile, appears to be made of pot metal, and under any sort of duress (including attaching an antenna) it will break, and effectively render the radio useless. I've contacted Kenwood about the matter, and if the radio can be repaired with a higher quality part (even if the warranty winds up being a struggle) this will be updated to a 5 star review.
Display is very visible in all light.
I would scrap the factory antenna and go with a 15" whip for much better reception.
Excellent radio - highly recommend.