Industrial Deals Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 19, 2013
Our company bought a 1st generation Keurig brewer about two years ago. I loved it. It was convenient. It has lasted us this whole time.

I decided to buy a Keurig K-Cup Brewer this year for Christmas. It arrived yesterday,and I am incredibly disappointed and hope this review helps others that are familiar with the original Keurig brewers and this one.

First of all, when I ordered this brewer on, the photo displayed the K45 brewer with three cup sizes and the filter. I paid $119.99 which, at the time of this review, was the going rate for the K45 brewers. I checked on my order status two days after, and all of a sudden, the information just says "Keurig K-Cup Brewer," not K45 Elite, and it shows a photo with two cup sizes. What a bait and switch! The price for the K40 (if you can even still find them) which is what THIS model is is $75-$90 in stores. What a rip off that $119.99 is being charged for the OLD model!

Second, when I brew a small cup of coffee with my work's first generation brewer, it is about 7-8 ounces. When I brew a large cup of coffee with the same brewer, it brews about 10 ounces. This model? I can see the HUNDREDS of dollars we would have to spend on K-cups for this machine. The small size says it brews 5.25 ounces. Let me put that into perspective for you. The average coffee cup holds 8-10 ounces. The small size brews what looks like just at or maybe slightly above 1/2 a cup. Not enough? Brew the large size, and you're only getting 1/4 cup more (2 ounces) in your mug. I looked in my mug (which is about 12 ounces,) and it looked like it only filled slightly above half. What a rip off! Change the model a bit (same model number, but I can tell MUCH has changed!) and brew less coffee? This is why we wanted the one with three cup sizes (again, folks, that's the K45 Elite brewer.)

Third, the quality of the parts in this generation has decreased. The silver plastic handle used to raise and lower the top of the machine is MUCH lighter and thinner plastic. I expect this handle will last, maybe, a year. The reservoir is also made with lighter plastic. I sort of wonder how long this brewer will last in its entirety. I don't know what the K45's plastic is like, but I hope it's better than this.

I haven't decided if it makes financial sense to go through the hassle of returning the brewer to Amazon or just trying to sell it on my own and buying the RIGHT brewer (the one I thought I was buying based on the original photo and information provided by Amazon.)

Long story short: DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE! BUY THE K45 ELITE BREWER WITH THREE CUP SIZES, or you will more than likely spend hundreds of dollars on K-cups.
VINE VOICEon January 30, 2014
Chances are that you are here, like I was, to replace the Keurig B40 Elite Gourmet Single-Cup Home-Brewing System that you bought years ago (my B40 lasted 4 ½ years before it died). This looks just like the B40, but it is the B44...or you might call it B40 2.0. If you search Amazon for the "Keurig B40" this is what comes up 1st in the search, and it seems the B40 has been replaced by the B44...and it is different in a very disappointing way.

The big difference is that the B40 gave you two cup size buttons to press: 7.25 oz and a 9.25 oz; the B44 also gives two cup size choices, but Keurig has revised the output size of the cups to 5.25 oz and a 7.25 oz. So in other words that largest cup that this new B44 version makes is the size of the smallest cup on the old B40 version. A TERRIBLE redesign. The 7.25 oz button fills a normal cup about ¾ full; the 5.25 oz button fills a normal cup only ½ way. Wake up and smell the coffee, Keurig people! Who want's just a half cup of coffee?!

The little picture on the 5.25 oz button is actually a tea-cup, so I'm guessing that the change is to accommodate tea-drinkers. If you like a large cup of coffee to fill your oversize mug, this B44 won't do it (anymore). You'll need to upgrade to the Keurig B145, and for me that would have been totally worth the extra 15 bucks. (You can still find the B40 here on Amazon; it seems to be only available from 3rd party sellers and comes up deep into the search results).

The "new & improved" B44 is still the simplest of the Keurig Brewing Systems. Super easy, one-time set-up. Fill it with water and you're ready to brew. It has an auto-off button that I'd highly recommend that you use. At minimum turn it off manually after use for the sake of safety, energy saving and to preserve the life of the system. The brewer has a power button for a reason; it's meant to be turned off when not in use...just like your old coffee maker. No, there is no heating plate like on your old coffee maker. The water is heated inside the system and dispenses one-at-a-time cups. When you turn the system back on the "heating" light will come on and the machine will take about ½ minute to heat the water before it's ready to brew.

The water reservoir holds enough water for about 4 or 5 "normal size" cups and easily detaches for a refill. Or you can just remove the top of the reservoir and just fill it with it still attached to the system. You can easily see when the water is running low, but an indicator light will come on to warn you if you don't notice.

Keep the system clean. Wash the removable parts regularly. Yeah, it's a simple coffee maker, but do at least take a look at the cleaning part of the manual to make sure that you're cleaning everything that should be cleaned and cleaning it the right way. As I mentioned earlier my last Keurig lasted 4 ½ years. I did everything to preserve it (such as the recommended descaling process by running white vinegar through the machine every now and then), but I think that the water pumps just wore out.

The B44 is a decent brewing machine, but for the money you pay you should get a lot more than 4 ½ years out of it. And that cup size revision is a real bummer...for me at least.

Side note: For what it's worth, if you like a bold cup of coffee like I do, nothing beats Emeril's Big Easy Bold.
on December 10, 2012
My wife and I bought this for my in-laws as an early Christmas present. It just so happens, we are also LIVING
temporarily with my in-laws. By the end of each day there are at least 7 mugs by the kitchen sink, waiting their
turn for the dish washer. We went from morning coffee drinkers to non-stop coffee drinkers.

The Keurig is a great machine, making single servings of coffee in about 30 seconds. This means no more
making 5 cups of coffee in a conventional coffee brewer and only drinking half of it. It is significantly less
wasteful, and allows you to buy a variety pack and brew different flavors (a huge bonus when you have

There is one to the keurig: 1. It is not cost effective. Although you are using conservative amounts per
single serving, each pre-filled serving usually costs about $1.00-$1.50 - whereas a conventional brewer makes
5 -8 cups of coffee for the same price, if not less. HOWEVER, this can be remedied by buying a "eco k cup" or
disposal k cups. You can buy ground coffee of your choice and fill your own k cups. Although it takes a little bit
longer to prepare your coffee, it saves you money and makes your coffee last a LOT longer.

All in all, it is a great brewing system.
on September 18, 2014
Love this machine! Actually I'm commenting on the machine I got for Christmas 2012. I got this model for my daughter for Christmas 2013. They are practically the same model and she has mentioned that she has had the exact same experience with her machine. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house so it's perfect for me! I drink two small cups of coffee in the morning and I like it very strong so I use the smaller Irish cream mugs and the small cup setting. One tank of water will last about 4 days before I have to refill it. Now for the downside: I think the coffee isn't strong enough using the medium or large cup settings even if you use a very dark, extra bold coffee. This wouldn't be practical for you if you drink large amounts of strong coffee. The k-cups are very expensive. I buy Green Mountain, Dark Magic or Sumatran Reserve K-cups at Walmart and I can get 18 K-cups for $9.98. I think Folgers is a little cheaper but not by much. That works out to about 50 cents a cup or for me, a dollar a day. I've tried buying bags of coffee to save a little money using two different brands of "permanent filters" instead of the k-cups and to me the coffee just doesn't taste right. It's like the water runs through too fast and the coffee doesn't have enough time to brew. Also, no matter how much coffee I use or which brand, a few of the grounds manage to escape into the cup. And if you use the "filters" you have to clean them out after each use so what's the point? I would be easier and cheaper to just use a mini standard coffee maker. In conclusion, under the right circumstances, this is a great little machine.
Pros: Fast and easy to use. Very convenient. If you don't have much time in the morning and don't mind paying more for coffee then this is a great option for you!
Cons: Expensive. K-cups cost a small fortune. If you're on a budget and drink a lot of coffee this is probably not the best option for you. The filter accessories are inconvenient and make a terrible cup of coffee.
In conclusion, now that I've got the machine, I'm glad to have it. I hate having to spend so much on coffee though so if it breaks down in the future I'll probably replace it with a small standard coffee pot.
I hope this helps!
on October 18, 2013
Although I do not personally own a Keurig brewer, I frequently advocate for them because I've used them many times and been quite impressed. I've bought a few for family members and friends and they all love the coffee they produce, the consistency of the brew, and the ease of use.

The ease of use is a huge part of the equation, and you'd expect something so cheap and convenient to produce garbage, but the coffee that comes out of these things is no joke. I'd say only some of my best coffees prepared in my french press or fancy drip brewer (laborious processes by comparison) can top what these things can pump out in under 30 seconds. It tasted like getting a cup from a freshly sealed bag every time (because it literally is), and for those who aren't used to drinking fresh coffee, it's a real surprise.

OK, so now on to the bad: The only bad part about this system is the price. The price on these has really gone through the roof in recent years and this brewer already costs $30 more than I paid for it a few months ago. And then there's the price on the cups themselves. Obviously, this is an expensive way to package a very small amount of coffee, and those costs are passed on to the consumer. Normally I would knock off a star for this kind of thing but I am convinced that you are paying for the convenience and you do indeed get what you pay for.

If you've been debating about whether to bite the bullet on a Keurig machine, I would highly recommend going with the standard model you're currently viewing. It might be a little more money than some of the cheaper models, but this is a workhorse model capable of pumping out thousands of cups of coffee with no cleaning or fuss. There's no annoying "fill it every time" water tank that can easily be overfilled like on the smaller models, which adds to the convenience and ease of use tremendously. The water tank is removable and self-containing, so you can take it right over to the sink or fridge to fill it up. There are two buttons, I believe 6 and 8 ounces respectively, for a stronger and weaker cup respectively.
on January 28, 2013
When I was shopping for a Keurig Brewer I definitely didn't pay enough attention to the cup sizes offered by different brewers and how brewing a big cup impacted the coffee strength and flavor. I like stronger coffee but I don't go nuts and make mud. Anyway I now understand that making strong coffee in a larger cup is a real challenge for all Keurig brewers. The largest size on this brewer will still make a nice strong coffee but it's only enough to fill roughly 1/2 of a larger coffee mug that you'd find in most homes. I really hoped it would make larger cups with some strength left. This one doesn't even let you set it for larger cups but that's partially a good thing since I've tried larger cup settings with other brewers and the coffee loses it's strength. If you use a smaller cup, like our fiesta ware mugs, it will fill it about right if you use cream. If you drink it black it still won't fill the mug. Anyway I now double up and use two pods to fill my mug. It' s a big cost difference than what I expected. Totally my fault for not figuring this out first but figured this review might help others.
on December 21, 2013
This is the best coffeemaker I've ever purchased. To be fair, it's only the second one I've ever purchased and the first one was a traditional styled one, but still. I LOVE this thing. The only set up is filling the water basin and turning it on. I pour in some water every few days and don't give it a second thought. It heats up super fast, pours the perfect amount into my mug, and turns itself off after a couple of hours. The variety of teas, hot chocolates, lattes, and coffees are exquisite. And since it's single serve, I never have to throw out cold coffee or scrub out a stained coffee pot. I can have my coffee in the morning and a nice hot tea or cocoa at night in a matter of seconds. I literally use this machine every day, sometimes two or three times a day, and there is no maintenance. This is definitely appliance that needs to be in every kitchen.
on October 9, 2013
I bought this brewer to replace the one I had for well over 5 yrs. It will take a little getting used to not having the option for filling a larger cup of coffee, but Keurig always delivers a great, FRESH cup of joe, (I can't stand the taste of burned coffee) & that's something I really appreciate. Paid for the one day delivery & it was delivered as promised. Immediately rinsed out the water tank, ran a couple of cups of water through it, then popped in my pumpkin spice K-cup. Ahhh.....I only had to go through "withdrawals" for a little over 24 hours. :) I love my Keurig Brewer!
on June 15, 2013
I've had a Keurig brewer for years and love it. My father loved it, so I bought him this model for his birthday. It looked exactly like mine. The product description listed 2 cup sizes, with no specifics. I take full responsibility for not doing my homework, but am disappointed with Keurig/Green Mountain Coffee for even making this model. The larger cup size fills a standard cup only half way. My parents are running a single K-cup twice or using two K-cups for each mug. Great for Keurig because they buy more K-cups, but a poor user experience.

Before you purchase this model, or any other Keurig model.......MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR CUP SIZE!
on April 26, 2013
This is the cheapest of the 4 I've purchased within 2013. The first one was for my house, I love it, works great- It's also the most expensive and biggest one.
2nd one was for my future father-in-law. It was the smallest of the Keurig, but it was for his desk in his office. He loves it, uses it daily. The 3rd Keurig was for one of my best friends in the world. I was asked to be in her wedding, and circumstances happened so that I wasn't able to do it, broke my heart and I wanted to get her something really nice because of this. I got her the same one I bought for my house, expensive, but amazing.
This will be my fourth one- for my office. I love it, works everytime. I love that you don't have to fill it up everytime you want a cup of coffee, tea, or coco, but it's not as big as the other one I've got, which means less expensive.
Like I said, Love all my Keurigs, can't say enough good things about them.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse