Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 10, 2013
I have owned this model now for about 2 years with nothing but joy to report. My unit stays stationary in my kitchen and is moved only to add distilled water about every few days. We brew roughly 2-3 cups a day out of the machine every day. It still functions as it did the day we bought it. After much trial and error we have selected our favorite brands of K-cups and order them in bulk to save on costs. They are even available at some local salvage stores for half the price or more in some cases, which is a win win for us as they really don't go bad, they are all sealed and purged.

The only 3 issues most people have with any of these systems are slow brew and or half cup brew issues, and watery blends. These are very easy to repair by the user and not an alarm to return the product. I spent about 2 minutes fixing both issues after a quick search online where you can find everything up to video to assist you in the process.

First of all, Please run distilled water in your machine. If you choose to run normal tap or filtered water suit yourself but know that you will have to descale the machine on a regular basis to prevent clogging and slower brew or long heating periods. Distilled water comes in gallons and sells for about a buck a jug around here. A jug will usually last us 2 weeks if we brew 2 cups a day. Not a huge investment there.

As for the slow brew, or light brew.. Normally water flows from 3 holes in the top needle that punctures the K-cup itself. Over time coffee grounds will sometimes remain behind in a hole and build up until they dry and seal the hole, diverting water to the other holes. If you remove the black K-cup holder gently and take a toothpick broken in about half or less and locate these holes *careful as the needle is sharp* and just slip the toothpick into each hole you will probably notice that some debris is removed. Once your sure you have it clean simply run a cup or two of water with no coffee in place to finish the clean and you should notice an increase in flow and alike flavor. The way to avoid having this at all is to remove all K-cups just after use and do not forget them in the brewer.

If your having half cup issues, this is almost always air in the system, which can be removed so simply. Just take off the water tank, drain and rinse it if necessary. Check that the screen filter doesn't contain alot of contaminant. Unplug your unit and move it over to the sink. Turn the unit upside down over the sink and give it a few light taps, 5 or 10 good taps while shaking it gently back and forth to remove the air. Then, refill your tank and set it in place, plug the unit back in and brew a couple of cups with no coffee in place, you should see full cups now. The way to avoid this problem is never to fill the tank while brewing is occurring, thus sending the occasional bubble down through the supply line.

As for those who say their blend is watered down or not strong enough, you simply need to try different blends. It's hard to compare a store bought portion to something you make yourself in an automatic drip machine. Your home brew might contain 30% more coffee the way you make it then the K-cup portion due to your personal strength level. I assure you there are plenty of very strong brews on the market if that's your preference. Shop around or buy trial packs to make your decisions! You can even buy single portions of any brew online at various places.

We have loved this system and given them as gifts with this exact set of instructions. No one we have given one to has had any reason to return one yet. I have also NEVER descaled my system, and see no reason to using distilled water. It's as good as the day we bought it 2 years later.

Hope this helps someone who's having issues or not sure about the product. I wouldn't make it very long without my system, now that I have spoiled myself!

********* 4 Year + update:

Unit still performing flawlessly. We have been running the unit with about 50% distilled water and 50% filtered tap water for the last couple of years, as the chore of remembering the distilled gallons sometimes slips our mind. We are also utilizing one of the "My K-Cup" style filter baskets as well on a regular basis without issue. This unit continues to provide at least 2 cups a day reliably. The hinges, fittings, baskets, buttons, display screen, drip tray, and handle continue to remain in great condition.

I have gotten on somewhat of a latte fix lately, and have been successfully able to produce decent 2x strength coffee utilizing my own fine ground espresso blend coffee and the personal cup filters and an 8oz cup setting. Don't be looking for any crema, but the flavor is there. It will brew very slowly if trying this however, be aware.

To highlight something mentioned in the comments below by sojumonkey, Distilled water may result in a less flavorful cup as the result of no mineral content. Because the directions indicate that filtered water is ok, and since I haven't had any issues using filtered water, I would recommend trying filtered water. Perhaps running distilled water every now and again to help clean the unit. Thanks for the added info!

Cheers coffee lovers!
729 people found this helpful
|2727 comments|Report abuse
on April 2, 2013
Just bought this item last week at Sam's club for $129 and it came with a variety of 30 teas/coffees for the Keurig. I cannot tell you how pleased my wife and I are of this convenient machine that delivers the perfect cup of coffee each time at the right temperature. You simply pour in 32 oz of water (water filter included), turn on machine to allow it to warm up, then place in K-cup, select temperature, and push button on front corresponding to the size of cup you wish. Once that cup button is pushed your coffee brews in under one minute. Clean up is so easy-just remove the K-cup and discard. If you prefer your own coffe and don't mind cleaning a reusable filter (ours came with one from Keurig), then simply add coffee to the filter, remove plastic insert well (where usual k-cup sits) and place reusable filter into the Keurig, select your cup size and brew. I would highly recommend this Keurig since you can change cup size, temperature, and change K-cup or use reusable filter.
394 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on February 15, 2015
Have been using his Keurig for about a year now and I haven't had a single problem with it. I use all three serving sizes and the replaceable charcoal filter are features that I like the most. I also like the automatic shutoff. It brews so fast that I don't use the automatic timer and I rarely use the built in clock. The ability to remove the tray for cleaning is excellent, as that is about all that gets dirty. The one thing I would change about the brewer is the upper limit on the adjustable temperature. I tend to like my coffee on the hot side and cold cups with a large mass drop the temperature a little too much. It was a good buy back when it was $130 but seems to have gotten a little pricey. I would definitely stick with the brand though.
review image
5 people found this helpful
on July 28, 2015
I brought this coffee machine around Christmas time for my Dad in 2014. His old Keurig was on its last leg after 4 years of heavy use and so I brought him this larger unit. He uses it 10-15 times a day. He uses a reusable K-cup with his usual coffee with no problems as the prepackaged stuff is simply to expensive given the amount of coffee he drinks. My sister uses it to make hot chocolate drinks and I've used it a few times for the rare times I want something warm to drink.

The water container is quite large and holds more then enough water such that you're not constantly refilling it. Extracting a used K-Cup and inserting a new one is a very simple and intuitive process. There is multiple brew size settings and room for decent size coffee cups.

It works, he is thrilled and so I am very happy. My younger sister has no trouble using it either.

He uses far less coffee throughout the day when using this device compared to the old fashioned coffee makers and the coffee tastes better too.

One good feature of the K-Cups is you can get variety sample packs which make inexpensive simple gifts for your coffee drinkers to taste test without committing to the expense of buying a large container of.
2 people found this helpful
on July 24, 2016
Purchased this in April and began using it in May. The unit ALREADY will not make a full cup of coffee. This is the fourth Keurig machine I have owned. They never last more than 2 years. The units are either defective or require an unreasonable amount of maintenance. Never, ever, ever going to buy a Keurig product again.
on January 15, 2016
Great Buy! It is priced high but no longer option in stores. This Keurig is one of the original ones that you can use your own coffee. This model also allows you to use generic K-Pods where the new 2.0 modes DO NOT! The machine was brand new in its original packaging and works with no concerns. Fast Shipping with a curious seller. Again.....this is an older model BUT NEW ....so the free coffee maybe expired but worth the purchase. Order with confidince!
on February 25, 2014
In my household, we never agreed which coffee to make. Mild, Medium, Bold, Flavored, Tea, Hot Chocolate. This coffee maker lets everyone decide for himself what he wants. Everyone gets a fresh cup of coffee, not the last drop or hour long warmed over coffee. We now use the maker for hot cereal. Instead of using it only in the morning, it is used all day long and night. Can offer company a variety of drinks and since it is no trouble, they feel inclined to accept offer. This winter has made me a hot chocolate fan. Place instant cocoa in cup, add hot water, stir and add marshmellows and you are off and running. Why did we suffer so long, when we could have had life's little joy of coffee making anytime of the day or night. Already decided when the time comes for me to go a senior living community the coffee maker will the first item to go with me. LOVE my coffee maker!
on January 12, 2015
When it worked the first week or so it was great. but everything went wrong with it so quickly. i would take out my k cup and instruction manual to get the next fix to that mornings prob.. Even the fix might last thru the day and then i was hitting the 4oz cup brew 3x to get almost 10 oz of bad coffee. Kcups to much $$$ to waste on do overs and coffee needs to be quick in am not a science project.

But if you get one that works, the coffee was good. But i need more coffee to remember those mornings.

BTW if you do the math, you should try to never spend more than 50 cents per K cup. Buy online. on special when free ship and no tax. Sometimes Kuerig.com gave best deals. also Brads deals.
2 people found this helpful
on June 5, 2014
I used the thing as my "starter machine" for a year-and-a-half, then decided to "trade up" to this (trumpet fanfare) "real Keurig". It has the obvious superiorities over the old machine. Surface differences like that third middle-size cup choice between the other two sizes. A positively HUGE water reservoir tank compared to my old machine, which I had to refill practically every cup or two. This one will get me through the whole day. Plus a timer I can set to kick the machine onto standby mode first thing in the morning so that I don't have to go through the warmup sequence for every cup--just the main brewing cycle. And of course it will shut the machine down after my suppertime cup. And one thing I've noticed about this one that isn't in the main review or any of the customers' reviews is that there must be some sort of capacitor in that clock that holds the time through intermittent "blip" brownouts where the power goes down for a second or two, then back up again. There are a lot of those here in South Florida--practically every day. It makes it a necessity that your alarm clock have battery backup. So I had my doubts at first about even using the timer feature because I'd be constantly reprogramming the thing. But with this machine, whenever I pass by the machine and see that it's off, I just kick it back on and the clock settings are still there. Plus I see commercials on TV for office supply outlets like WB Mason, this is the very model shown as the "office coffeemaker" when the ad centers on office coffee needs. One thing that's a relatively safe bet is that if you get something that's the same model used by businesses, you're probably going to get durability. Which I see one other customer here confirms by their machine holding up after 2 years.

Now what to do with the old Mr. Coffee machine? Maybe re-gift it to my stoner brother? But I have doubts on that--he'd just point out the obvious fact that "those things are kind of an expensive way to make coffee, dewwwwd". Maybe accompanied by tiresome conspiracy theories about "Big Coffee", like with "Big Oil" or "Big Pharma".
on December 29, 2013
I had read a lot of negative reviews on this coffeemaker, so I was surprised at how much I like it. I was especially surprised at how much my husband likes it, since he is not a coffee addict.

The Keurig makes a good cup of coffee, and I do not like weak, dishwatery coffee. With some blends, I've had to use the smallest cup size, but it's easy to avoid those, once you know what you're looking for. I find that anything labeled dark roast, or especially Sumatra is good. Taste is subjective, but with a little trial and error you will find what suits you.

Our favorite thing is probably the cocoa. The Keurig brand is very good, as is the Swiss Miss. I sometimes put a little bit of milk or cream in the bottom of my cup before brewing, but it's good without any extras too

We also use this for tea. The water gets plenty hot to make tea, either with a K Cup, or with a teabag. In fact, we rather prefer to use the teabags, which are cheaper and produce less waste afterward.

Speaking of waste, we did try the refillable cups, but they don't work for us. They are messy to clean and require a lot of rinsing, and coffee grounds are not something we want to have in our septic system. There are little tiny filters you can buy, but at that point it's getting kind of ridiculous. We stick to the K Cups, which we can put in the trash - still not ideal, of course. People we know, who have had a Keurig for a while, use the refillable cups, dump them, rinse them and put the remnants of grounds through their disposal, but they are on a public sewage system.

I haven't tossed my drip coffeemaker, which I use in the morning when we want a lot of coffee. The Keurig is great for making a cup of something in the afternoon or evening, and we use it a lot more than we thought. It's also very good for when there are people over. I keep a sampler box of K Cups on hand, and everyone can have the blend they prefer. The brewing cycle is pretty fast and no one has to wait long.

I can't comment on the longevity of this machine, which I know has been a problem for some people. If it lasts a year or two, I'll be happy. I don't regret the purchase one bit, and I would buy it again.