Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 29, 2011
Just installed my new keyboard into my Inspiron E1705. Installation was easy--I watched a youtube video to see how to insert the new keyboard and ribbon. So far, everything is working perfectly. Keys look and feel identical to the previous keyboard (minus wear). If I had known that it was so cheap and easy to replace a laptop keyboard, I would have done this five years ago! Will update later to say how things are working later on.

update: 6 weeks later, my keyboard is still working great!

Update ~1.5 years later: the keyboard outlived the working lifespan of the laptop and was still going strong.I really got my money's worth out of it. Worth every penny
6 people found this helpful
on March 4, 2013
Only had the thing in 15 minutes but i am so thrilled to have a working keyboard again i must rave about it. I have been struggling with a hand me down laptop for years. I had one working number key, no shift or control, no F keys, 6 completely broken letters, 4 mostly broken, and one missing. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and installing it was easy peasy maybe 5 minutes including cleaning the interior of the computer. If you havent done it before check out youtube by searching by your model number. I cant believe i struggled so long when it was this easy.

It arrived very well packed in a box inside a padded envelope. In the box it was bagged and wrapped in bubble wrap clean and clearly new.

Today is March 4th, 2013 If i encounter any issues i will update my review.
on December 13, 2011
The original keyboard for my Inspiron E1505 was doing good for over 5 years until recently some dirt settled in and also letters in a few of the frequently used keys were getting erased.

I got this shipped within 4 business days of ordering. It came in good shape. The keys are soft and to my liking. Not making any rattling sound as complained by some other user.

There is no instruction manual or any kind of paper whatsoever. The installation into E1505 is simple though. You get videos in Youtube for that. There is a plastic lining on the backside of the keyboard. Don't think about pulling it out. It remains and keeps dust from the exposed keyboard from getting into motherboard. Be careful while pulling out the old keyboard. The wire that connects to the motherboard has a kind of clip that you should first pull open. While putting the new keyboard, just place the wire lined up against the base of the clip and press the clip down to snap and fit.
One person found this helpful
on May 4, 2011
Worked perfect. Very easy to install. Go to YouTube to view video on how to remove your keyboard, it was very simple with my Inspiron 1501.
I spilled wine all over the keyboard, let the laptop sit open overnight upside down on a towel and in the morning plugged it in. The keyboard right side wouldn't work at all. I look up the 'how to' video and removed the keyboard. I am lucky I didn't fry the whole laptop, there was a puddle of wine on the cross-member under the keyboard. As far as I could tell none of the wine looked like it went into the hardware. I wiped off the cross-member and order this keyboard. It took about four days, installed it and the computer runs perfectly.
on October 26, 2012
So, just installed the new keyboard, and it's working perfectly! It definitely has a different feel than the old one, and that will take some getting used to. However, I'd had the original keyboard for over 5 years, and I had literally broken in or worn away some of the keys. After my control button fell off and the years of dog hair stuck under the keyboard became an issue, I decided to get this.

It's AWESOME!

READ THIS IF YOU ARE BUYING FOR E1405:
Okay, a lot of the instructions on how to install a new keyboard for this Inspiron model on Amazon, Youtube, or whatever use one of the bigger models and actually skip an URGENT step if you are installing this keyboard on an e1405.

You must FIRST remove your battery and unscrew the two, tiny screws that you'll see when you take the battery out. These hold the plastic cover on the front of your laptop (the piece with the power button attached and "INSPIRON | E1405" printed on it). If you don't unscrew them first, you're going to break something that will take more that $14 to fix.

Also, I found that taking the keyboard out was tough because it looked so easy in the videos. Again, I think this is slightly different for the e1405. There's a black plastic piece right on top of where the old keyboard ribbon attaches to the motherboard. It lifts up super easily like a hinge, and then the ribbon will pull out super easily. Don't just tug at it in frustration. Then, the end of the ribbon of your new keyboard in the spot where the old one was and snap the little black plastic piece shut. Superb! The keyboard snaps really easily into place.

Also also, I definitely didn't have screws actually holding the keyboard in place. I think this is another difference between the e1405 and the other Inspiron models. There wasn't even a hole for the screws, so I don't think I lost them or anything.

Obviously, after your keyboard is installed and you snap the front panel back on, make sure to replace the tiny screws from where you took them underneath the battery and, of course, replace the battery.

Hurray! Your old computer will keep trucking along for a little while longer!

PROTIP: I don't have one of those tiny screwdrivers for glasses, computers, whatever, so I just used a metal nail file on the tiny screws. Ta-dah!
on January 8, 2014
My cat decided he wanted to tapdance all over my Dell E1505 and broke the "O" key off my keyboard while damaging the bracket in the process. I was heartbroken and mad at myself for not closing the laptop cover when I should have, and was looking at a new laptop alltogether when I saw this. I ordered it and found out how easy it was to replace the keyboard through the downloadable Service guide (available from Dell.) In literally 15 minutes, my laptop was like new, and dare I say it, the keyboard is more responsive and quiet than the OEM one. Save yourself $500+ for a new laptop, or even $100's in repairs. Buy this keyboard, download the service guide, excersize caution and follow the directions carefully when repairing your laptop, and enjoy the result!
on October 3, 2011
I live maybe 100 miles from the company's warehouse and received this before the expected delivery date, which made me *very* happy. It fits my Dell Inspiron 1501 perfectly, thus helping me hold off that expensive replacement just a little bit longer!

It would have been nice if there was a little diagram explaining how to replace your keyboard, but to be fair, it would be redundant, as there are dozens of videos on-line showing you how it's done.

I'm typing with it right now, and it works great!
on July 19, 2014
Replaced the key board in less than 10 minutes. I had never done one before, saw it done on youTube.
I spent over an hour trying to reattach the space bar on the old keyboard. The local "GEEK" shop wanted $75 + labor= over $135
I replaced it with this keyboard in less then 10 minutes for less than $13.
It also arrived 2 days earlier than suggested.
on April 29, 2013
I work in IT and have a Dell Inspiron 1501. I have replaced keyboards before and found this easier to do than many other model computers. All you need is a small screwdriver and a small phillips head. It took me less than 3 minutes to replace it but you have to be careful with the ribbon when snapping it in place. If you mess it up, you can damage it then the new keyboard won't work (I'm guessing that is what happened with many of the negative reviews here.) As far as the keyboard goes, I love the feel of it and it works great. It looks just like the factory Dell keyboard and the installation went perfect!
on September 14, 2011
As stated in a previous review, the keyboard is slightly smaller than the OEM part. The screw holes under the plastic cover (above the keyboard) do not line up. However, this does not affect the functionality as the plastic strip that covers the screws secures the keyboard snugly with no problems. You just can't secure the board with the screws and must leave them out. Other than this minor issue, I am very pleased with my purchase, and this replacement has added a few more years of use to this laptop.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.