Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. New Moto G6 64 GB | $299.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 20, 2013
Color: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Bottom line: while the Keystone offers decent functionality and comes in at a better price point, the Frigidaire (model FAD704DWD) is the champ when it comes to outstanding performance and design. The Keystone has a flimsy water bucket and a louder compressor.

Full review: I've been using the Frigidaire FAD704DWD 70-pint dehumidifier and have been hugely impressed with its performance and design. So, I was interested to see if this model from Keystone (a brand I'm not familiar with) would knock the Frigie off its pedestal.

At first glance the two units look pretty similar. Both offer a top mount control pad with a digital readout for relative humidity (both what it's set for, and the actual RH of the room). Both have a front-mount collection bin with the usual auto-off capability, a washable filter to trap dust, and casters for mobility. Also, both can be plumbed to a drain for continuous operation.

The RH accuracy is good for both units. When set to the same RH level in the same room, both cycled on/off for roughly the same amount of time. Their respective RH readings were very close to one another, and matched the RH reading I took using a separate device (one of those wall-mount clocks that also provide temp and RH readings).

Both can be positioned with the back of the unit close to the wall. However, the Keystone has a side airflow discharge path, whereas the Frigidaire has a top air path. I like the top path better since it means I can put the unit in a corner without the airflow being constricted, plus it does a better job circulating air in the room. A side air path is not a huge problem, but something to be aware of.

What is a more significant issue is the build quality, especially the catch bucket. The Keystone bucket is flimsy - the plastic is thin and bends easily. It made me very nervous to carry it when it was full since the carry handle was visibly bending and straining against a pretty thin support bracket. More significantly, the bucket top is open on the Keystone. In contrast, the Frigidaire has a plastic plate across most of the top, with just the end points open for pouring the water out. In addition to preventing spills, the top plate makes the catch bucket much more rigid.

I have carried a full Frigidaire bucket up from my basement to water plants outside without any concern about spills or bucket breakage. I wouldn't even think of doing that with the Keystone bucket. It flexed so much when full that I was worried that I would not make it to the sink that was about 15 feet away from the unit. I also had to carry it much more carefully since the open top means that water could splash out.

Pouring water out of the Frigidaire bucket is very easy even when it's 100% full. The Keystone was messy - it's best to dump it out at about the 50% full point to prevent spills/splashes.

Replacing the bucket is simple on the Frigidaire. I had to fiddle with the Keystone to get it to fit back in. It fits into place, but it takes more effort.

The bucket issues may not be deal-breakers since the unit can be plumbed to a drain to avoid the issue entirely. However, operating sound is a deal-breaker for me. I can't provide decibel readings since I don't have a sound meter, but the Keystone has a considerably louder compressor. It also vibrates far more than the Frigidaire, which translates into noise as well (I have both units on a tile floor).

The Keystone is just a bit louder than the Frigidaire when just the fan is running. But when the compressor kicks on it really ramps up the noise.

Both units have the ability to run at a low or high fan speed which can be set on the control panel.

In summary, the Keystone is worth considering only if you are looking for a unit that you'll plumb to a drain (and not deal with the bucket issues) and locate in a far corner of the house where the operating noise won't be a bother. Otherwise, the Frigidaire FAD704DWD is the better option. It's more expensive but will give you a better design, better build quality, and quieter operation. Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier
879 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
on November 13, 2015
All the small dehumidifiers I have owned seem to last anywhere from 1 to 5 years, but usually around 3. The features and warranty support are the most important things to consider, in my opinion. I have a small machine shop in Florida, with very high humidity. The dehumidifier helps the air conditioner work better, keeps my machine tools from rusting, and makes the room more comfortable. It is on all the time, but typically the compressor only runs 1-2 hours a day. I connected mine to a "Little Giant 554425 VCMA-20ULS" automatic condensate pump, which pumps the collected water though a hose and out into my yard so I don't have to empty the tank, ever. More about this below.

This unit is a good value for the money. Some people don't like the position of the air flow output. They prefer units that blow the air out the top instead of the side, thinking that is more efficient. Not me. This unit draws the air in from the front and blows it out the side, at an upward angle. It doesn't effect the efficiency, but it makes cleaning the filter easily. On this unit I just lift the filter up out of the top of the unit, no covers to move, easy access, and I don't have to move the unit. With other units I owned previously I had to move tools out of the way or roll the unit out to where I could access it better, remove the tank, then remove the filter from inside the tank opening, what a pain.

This is the second unit like this I purchased. The first one died after about 10 months, like I said before it is just the luck of the draw. I contacted the warranty people, they were friendly and easy to reach. They had me cut the last 6 inches off the power cord and snail-mail it to them along with the labels off the back of the unit, and sent me a check. I couldn't expect it to be any easier. I really like this unit and would buy it again.

Okay, for those of you "handy" people who want to know how, the only complaint I have seen about using this with a condensate pump is that if the pump stops working the dehumidifier will keep filling it until it overflows. I solved this easily. The dehumidifier has a float switch to turn it off if the bucket is full. The pump has a 'safety float switch' that can be wired to an alarm. If you take the back off the dehumidifier you can remove the wires from the float switch, extend them, and plug them into the safety switch of the pump (not the regular float switch). If the pump stops running, when the water in the pump gets high enough it activates the safety switch. Since that is now wired to the dehumidifier, the dehumidifier thinks it's tank is full and turns off. Now all I ever have to do is occasionally clean the dehumidifier filter, the rest takes care of itself.

About the pictures: As you can see, access in my shop isn't great. The gray bar on top of the unit is the filter, just pull it straight up. Behind the unit is the condensate pump. The drain hose from the dehumidifier empties (by gravity) into the condensate pump tank. The pump has a hose that goes to a pipe and out through the wall into my yard, the other hose attached to the pipe is my compressor drain. The black power cord is for the drain pump, the gray cord is the dehumidifier, and the brown speaker wire connects the safety switch in the pump to the dehumidifier, in place of it's own float switch. The brown mess on the floor is from a recent compressor oil leak I haven't cleaned up yet, not related to the dehumidifier or pump.

Update: this unit lasted 16 months, like I said before, it's a crapshoot. But the 2 year extended protection plan I bought for under $20 paid for itself. I called Asurion, told them it broke, they credited me $190.79, that is full price even after 16 months of use! I didn't need to send them anything or prove it was broken, they sent me an Amazon gift card credit by email in under 30 minutes! You can't beat that with a stick.... Just used my gift card to order another identical unit.
review imagereview imagereview image
99 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on October 21, 2015
Only wish I could give zero stars. It worked great for 6 months. Got a warranty claim, seemed like everything was going to be refunded. Well, 4 month on and even through the unit was clearly under warranty and all the steps were followed. I get no answer from their warranty center.
23 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 30, 2017
This thing rattles like an Old West covered wagon on a dusty rocky trail. The product arrived two days ago. I'm using it in my finished Family Room in the basement. The room is carpeted and has upholstered furnishings with a TV. This dehumidifier is replacing a unit that started icing over. They don't seem to last more than 2-3 years. This is my third unit. Upon arrival I ran it for an hour and it knocked the humidity dow to 61 from 73 in normal. I had to go to work so I shut it off. Next day came home from work ran it in on turbo for one hour and it knocked it down to 56 from 71 in one hour. My complaint is the flattering of the plastic casing - it is very poorly made. I duct takes and all around and it is much better but geez - it's in my Family Room - looks like junk with the duct tape
7 people found this helpful
on October 15, 2016
This unit after working perfectly for 13 months is suddenly ignoring the drain hose attachment requiring emptying of the tank when it fills. . I checked all connections which look proper and unchanged from when first connected over a year ago. I also checked the manual to see if I accidentally hit some control that would route the water to the tank versus the drain hose but can't find anything. What a pain!
10 people found this helpful
on April 27, 2017
After only a couple months it started to fill up the bucket instead of drain from the hose. It appears to be a small hole in place to handle condensation, so that seems like a design flaw?

It is really annoying to have to empty it constantly when I shouldn't have to. I hope the manufacturer will do something about it since I'm outside of the return window for Amazon.
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 15, 2015
Had this for several months now, works like a charm.

I have a very damp basement, often with water standing after a heavy rain. No sump, just floor drain that isn't at the lowest point of the floor. This resulted in the concrete being very damp all the time. I recently built two 8'X2' shelving units, each 4 shelves high. Needed something to dry out the air so that I could safely store things on these shelves.

It took about two weeks of this unit running continuously to get the humidity down to 50%. I then changed it to running on demand, and after a couple of months, the humidity level is consistently around 39%. After heavy rains/snow melt, when the water is standing, I just sweep the majority of it to the drain, and the floor dries completely within a couple of days. The basement is two rooms, so I run a small fan when needed in the second room to help circulate the air.

I have the unit set up to drain directly into a floor drain. This feature, as well, works perfectly. Before attaching the drain hose, I had to empty the reservoir twice a day. Since hooking up the drain, I haven't had to touch the reservoir.

100% satisfied - works exactly as advertised and is very effective. Loud, but not excessively so for basement use.

Update: I have had this unit for almost two years now. It is working just fine, keeps my basement between 45 - 50 % humidity consistently. I still keep things off the floor due to flooding with heavy rain (gutters have helped this a lot), but the floor dries out quite quickly and much more completely now with the dehumidifier. No items stored in the basement have been damaged since buying this. I only touch it to clean the filter about once every month or two - takes about a minute.

Still 100% satisfied, and highly recommend.
20 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on September 19, 2016
I've had this Dehumidifier in service in a large finished basement for about a month now and it has performed flawlessly. It has reduced the humidity from 67% to 45% in only a few days. The only problem I had was it was filling up too fast, and I found myself constantly emptying it.

To solve that problem I connected a clear vinyl hose to the tank bypass connector on the back and ran it to my sump pump well. You can get the parts at you local home store for a few buck or more depending on how long of a hose you need. I prefer the clear vinyl over a garden hose because I just think it looks nicer and I can run just the amount I need.

The humidity sensor in the unit seems to be very accurate when compared to a standalone meter I have (see pictures), whenever I've checked it's seems to be within 1% either way. The unit does make some noise when running, but nothing thats very distracting in my opinion, after a few minute you kind of just forget it's running.

I did my research before purchasing and this unit ranked very high on most review sites... that combined with all the great Amazon reviews I don't think you can go wrong with this product.
review imagereview imagereview image
13 people found this helpful
on May 12, 2017
I remember my dad having a dehumidifier that lasted a quarter of a century. But I have never owned one that has lasted more than 3 years tops. I've tried every brand I can get my hands on.

Purchased this April 2015. Started with the EC code April 2017. These things are not repairable and are disposable only.

Giving it 2 stars because for the 2 years it ran it ran great. I never buy extended warranties but this is an appliance that I'd take a 5 year warranty on one if a company offered a good one because I'd get use out of it.

Going to search for a brand I've never tried before but that won't be easy.
5 people found this helpful
on June 18, 2015
*10/12/2016 Update*

Unfortunately, I'm changing my review from 5 stars to one. I purchased this back on 5/26/15 and after only about 8-9 months of use (never ran in the winter) it no longer works. I hadn't had it on because the weather has cooled off significantly here but we got a couple inches of rain so I set it to kick on at 55% in case the basement got damp. The following day I heard a loud clicking and I tracked it to the basement. The dehumidifier sounded as if it were set to either launch into orbit or explode. It wouldn't shut off with the power button so I unplugged it. There was a peculiar smell emanating from it but not necessarily what I would expect if it something had "burnt up". A day or two later I plugged it back in out of curiosity and it still sounded terrible and still only shut off if unplugged. Save your money!

Fantastic for my perpetually wet basement. This replaced an older dehumidifier that I though was doing a good job until I plugged this one in. After a few days musty basement smell was all but gone and 2 different hygrometers show basement at 45% humidity, meter on dehumidifier is almost spot on. It does put off some heat witch might be nice in the winter.
8 people found this helpful