Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 18, 2014
I bought two of these (the orange Explorer and the green Rover) for my 2 year old and 4 year old. The cars aren't too fast, so I'm not worried about them hurting themselves too much (or my ankles). And even my 2 year has gotten the hang of the controller pretty quickly (two sticks, which independently control the left and right sides) and can hold it comfortably. The cars so far (2 months post Xmas) are still working and seem fairly durable, although my 2 year old likes to pick up the cars by the antennas.

The cars will run on carpet or a hard surface. And they can drive over small bumps and objects pretty easily. The range is pretty small however, no more than 5-10 feet. But I don't mind since it's harder for them to lose the car and it makes them run after the car (some exercise at least).

They require 3 AA for the car and a AAA for the remote. Be sure to turn off the car or the batteries will drain.

The one thing to be aware of is that some models use the same frequency. So in order for both kids to play with two separate cars I ordered two with different remote frequencies.

From the Kid Galaxy website:
Whale 27 Mhz
Gator 27
Rover 27

Shark 49 Mhz
Explorer 49
14 people found this helpful
on September 24, 2015
Read about it being not water proof as seen from video. Open up the toy to check the interior. Handheld controller is definitely not water proof. The car itself is made to be water proof with all components sealed in water-tight compartments within the car body, but the seals are non-silicone, mainly hardened cyanoacrylic glue (superglue) that becomes brittle easy and chips or cracks off. Had all these locations (wires coming out of the water-tight cases) re-sealed with silicone sealant. Also added lithium grease to provide additional protection to the moving axles and to keep them water resistant. Coated the circuit board on the hand controller on one side with clear nail polish, partially on the reverse side, and used lithium grease on the controller contacts to keep the electrical connection. Haven't tried it yet as I just received the toy 2 days ago and worked on the waterproofing/resisting only 1 day ago. Will be testing today (2015-09-25). Update again later. This should keep the little buggy going for a much longer time in water. He gets the hang of the controller immediately. At first he was thinking the controls work like those on most RC cars, with one going left-right, and the other going up-down. This controller works like a tank controller.
Update (2015-09-29)
Tested the car in water briefly on 26th Sep for about 10 mins. No issue. Works great. But there is water intake. Had to let the water leak out from the hole where the on/off switch is located. Still working fine when test yesterday (28 Sep). But battery runs flat quite quickly with normal alkaline. Better to run on high mAh rechargeable or stronger long lasting alkaline cells.
2 people found this helpful
on October 16, 2012
When I bought it I made sure it was on a non-interfering frequency band so the kids could race against the Amphibian i bought a couple weeks prior.. ones 47 Mhz and the other 27Mhz I believe tho both look the same size basically.. The 2yo can't figure out how to control it very well and the 4yo also has trouble with turning it left and right but that doesn't mean they don't have fun with them both.. they love playing with these cars.. i would never recommend driving it in water or even wet grass since it's not really water proof around the hatches.. the other thing I'd recommend is to get some 5 minute epoxy or thick glue and to glue in the antenna lead into it's socket in the car body so kids can't easily pull out the antenna wire.. Aside from that I havent seen any drop in torque or other issues.. i am using rechargeable NiMh batteries in them and they work fine.. the cars can actually do Wheelies if you get going backwards then quickly flip to forward it will lift the front wheels off the carpet a couple inches.. they bang into eachother and the furniture with no problem too.
on September 19, 2015
This is a fun Car, however the battery compartment doesn't close properly. When the car runs into something, the batteries are dislocated: It takes time to un screw the compartment and re-position the batteries: I finally taped the batteries in and inserted a gauze pad to hold them tight: I called the toy supplier: They were very nice and said they would send a replacement car: That was a month ago:
Hasn't arrive yet! The replacement car(different model) arrived today - 9/21/15: It has an updated battery compartment and works great. Has a lot of power and handles well.
2 people found this helpful
on October 12, 2015
Very nice toy, its small (smaller than you'd expect) and lightweight but boy does it go fast. However the batteries do kill over quickly! We put the car in the pool to test its water capabilities and it did great! The battery compartment is located on top and very well covered and sealed around it so water doesn't penetrate it. Buy rechargeable batteries!
One person found this helpful
on August 22, 2017
If you've been looking for a fun, easy to use, sturdy remote control car, look no further. This is the one. I have purchased at least 10 (or more) different remote controlled vehicles for grandkids to play with when they visit, and this is hands down their favorite and mine. I will be buying one more!
on December 29, 2013
We live in upstate New York; our backyard water features are frozen over. We haven't tested this in our bathtub like some not-so-smart reviewers.

Deducted one star for the non-illumated headlines, as many others have denoted.

My children are terrors... wonderful terrors. We're on hour 8 of the first set of Eneloop rechargeable. I use AA's in my dayjob (photog & video) and can't believe how long this thing has lasted on its first set of batts.

Fun for kids, fun for adults, it just keeps going.
on April 5, 2015
This was a fun toy for my 6 year old son, until it stopped working 2 months after arrival. He used it in the pool and on the ground, but never submerged it and we were careful to ensure the battery pack stayed dry inside. Despite every avenue we can think of to try and get it working again, it's now already headed to become a piece of trash (which makes the whole thing seem even worse). Still exploring warranty options but I'll be surprised if that works in our favor.
on August 19, 2015
It's lasted two years so far. Gave it to our son when he was 3 after his older brother got the red one for a gift.

It's run well, they haven't been very gentle with it, so it can take a little roughness.

It seems they get flaws, the red one just broke. The wheels stopped turning, I think a gear broke or something.
on March 3, 2012
This thing was fun for about 5 minutes. It worked fine until it came in contact with water, then it stopped dead in its tracks. The water intrusion got everywhere including the battery compartment. The design looks like it should fair well in water but the cheap manufacturing did not have seams that fit together well so the voids in the construction that were intended to give it buoyancy , just filled up with water. Very disappointed since I gave 3 of these a Christmas gifts and 2 days later had to replace the gifts with something else.