Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 132 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
on February 18, 2014
I bought two of these (the orange Explorer and the green Rover) for my 2 year old and 4 year old. The cars aren't too fast, so I'm not worried about them hurting themselves too much (or my ankles). And even my 2 year has gotten the hang of the controller pretty quickly (two sticks, which independently control the left and right sides) and can hold it comfortably. The cars so far (2 months post Xmas) are still working and seem fairly durable, although my 2 year old likes to pick up the cars by the antennas.

The cars will run on carpet or a hard surface. And they can drive over small bumps and objects pretty easily. The range is pretty small however, no more than 5-10 feet. But I don't mind since it's harder for them to lose the car and it makes them run after the car (some exercise at least).

They require 3 AA for the car and a AAA for the remote. Be sure to turn off the car or the batteries will drain.

The one thing to be aware of is that some models use the same frequency. So in order for both kids to play with two separate cars I ordered two with different remote frequencies.

From the Kid Galaxy website:
Whale 27 Mhz
Gator 27
Rover 27

Shark 49 Mhz
Explorer 49
on October 12, 2015
Very nice toy, its small (smaller than you'd expect) and lightweight but boy does it go fast. However the batteries do kill over quickly! We put the car in the pool to test its water capabilities and it did great! The battery compartment is located on top and very well covered and sealed around it so water doesn't penetrate it. Buy rechargeable batteries!
on January 30, 2010
This car worked as advertised. It drives around the house, runs into things and just keeps going. I have not tested it in water or rough terrain. This product works fine for children who might be rough with a product. The toy has worked well for several months and I would buy again if I needed a gift or toy for another family member.
on May 20, 2009
My daughter likes to push buttons, still at age 6. This remote controlled car is very durable and offers a great opportunity to push buttons. We haven't tried it in water yet, but plan to soon. It took her a short while to figure out how to control the car. Inserting the battery in the car was a bit of challenge because the screw is so deep in the back of the car it required a long thin handle screwdriver to lossen the screw.
on January 15, 2017
Cute little car that seems pretty durable. Unfortunately the function of it seems to be really glitchy. I put fresh batteries in the car and the remote but it operates as though the batteries are dying. Kind of intermittent and sometimes it doesn't react at all unless you get the remote right next to the car. Then as soon as the car gets a couple feet away it stops like it's not receiving a signal. Maybe we got a bad one, but I was pretty disappointed in this product as my son's first remote control car.
on August 7, 2010
I purchased this RC car for my two-year-old as a replacement for a Tonka RC car. The Tonka was more expensive but seemed indestructable. After ceasing to work for apparently no reason, my theory was proven incorrect.

I thought this car would be a perfect replacement. Amazon has the best price I've found. Locally, they are $[...]!!!

Well, my main gripe is that the description states that the vehicle has working headlights. It doesn't -- it has stickers for headlights. The "Land Shark" and the "Gator" models do have the working LED headlights. Seems like a small thing, but I returned the toy because of this reason and purchased the Land Shark model instead. I know my son will get a kick out of the headlights...

I can't give a proper review until I receive the "Land Shark" model and see it in action...this is just a warning in case the headlights are a deal breaker...
on January 19, 2017
My son bought this amphibious truck 2 months ago with money he received for his birthday. It runs great. It goes pretty much anywhere and he has lot of fun for running into puddles on the cement near our pool.

Really it’s a cool little vehicle and different from most RC cars. It seems to be made well and durable. I’m planning to get 2 more for our other boys for Christmas. I wish the frustration free packaging was more exciting though, at least when giving as a gift, but I suppose that’s the sacrifice to be more green. Otherwise I just think it’s great.
on September 24, 2015
Read about it being not water proof as seen from video. Open up the toy to check the interior. Handheld controller is definitely not water proof. The car itself is made to be water proof with all components sealed in water-tight compartments within the car body, but the seals are non-silicone, mainly hardened cyanoacrylic glue (superglue) that becomes brittle easy and chips or cracks off. Had all these locations (wires coming out of the water-tight cases) re-sealed with silicone sealant. Also added lithium grease to provide additional protection to the moving axles and to keep them water resistant. Coated the circuit board on the hand controller on one side with clear nail polish, partially on the reverse side, and used lithium grease on the controller contacts to keep the electrical connection. Haven't tried it yet as I just received the toy 2 days ago and worked on the waterproofing/resisting only 1 day ago. Will be testing today (2015-09-25). Update again later. This should keep the little buggy going for a much longer time in water. He gets the hang of the controller immediately. At first he was thinking the controls work like those on most RC cars, with one going left-right, and the other going up-down. This controller works like a tank controller.
Update (2015-09-29)
Tested the car in water briefly on 26th Sep for about 10 mins. No issue. Works great. But there is water intake. Had to let the water leak out from the hole where the on/off switch is located. Still working fine when test yesterday (28 Sep). But battery runs flat quite quickly with normal alkaline. Better to run on high mAh rechargeable or stronger long lasting alkaline cells.
on September 19, 2015
This is a fun Car, however the battery compartment doesn't close properly. When the car runs into something, the batteries are dislocated: It takes time to un screw the compartment and re-position the batteries: I finally taped the batteries in and inserted a gauze pad to hold them tight: I called the toy supplier: They were very nice and said they would send a replacement car: That was a month ago:
Hasn't arrive yet! The replacement car(different model) arrived today - 9/21/15: It has an updated battery compartment and works great. Has a lot of power and handles well.
on July 8, 2013
My grandsons and great niece and nephew love these little amphibian toys. One problem is that you must be sure you don't get the controller wet. Fun stuff! We wound up with 2 that work on the same frequency which causes confusion and problems with 3 being operated at the same time.