Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,116 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,317 reviews
on October 25, 2016
I've read a lot of bad reviews that were based on bad information.

I checked the manufacture date right away when I opened it, which I suggest you do too. I purchased this in October 2016. My manufacture date was July 2016. Can't expect much better than that. Make sure you check that when you get yours but it looks like Amazon has fixed the issue of sending out old items.

Another big issue I read was people saying the alarm was not going off when they had readings. They clearly did not read the manual. ALL home CO alarms will have a delay before alarming. It says this clearly in the manual. It breaks it down into different groups in how fast it will alarm based on how much of a reading it will get. This prevents a small reading from something like a cigarette or from the oven door opening shortly from setting off the alarm and being an annoyance.

The battery issue I will have to update on. I'm using the wall plug but people have complained about it draining battery still then.

Now onto my review. I like the fact that it can be mounted several different ways. If you want to plug it straight into the wall you can and that's how it comes set up. The plug can be removed and there is a cord so you can hang it on a wall away from a wall socket (hardware included). The plug can be rotated so if you have a horizontal plug you can hang it vertical still.

It is kind of large but it only covers one socket when plugged into the bottom socket. I like that it has a screen and stores peak CO readings so you'll know if there is any CO getting into areas where it shouldn't.

I haven't had any issues with it yet and I assume it's working because I'm not dead yet. I'll update after a few weeks when I figure out if there is an issue with the battery drainage.

Comes with a battery and hardware to hang it.
review image
11 comment| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2015
We bought this carbon monoxide monitor as we are renovating an older house and have aging appliances not yet replaced. The monitor arrived in a timely manner and it was easy to install the back up battery. After reading other reviews I checked the date on our unit and it was made just a few months ago. It came with good and easy to follow instructions.
The plug and cord are neatly house at the back of the unit, so if you have a close electrical outlet you can just plug it in. If not, the cord unravels and you can plug it in further away from the appliances. (just don't have it too far away or it may not be as effective in the case of a CO leak).

We have had the unit for a few weeks now and it has constantly measured "0" (parts per million - ppm). Because the unit doesn't alarm for readings below 35 ppm, there is a button you can press to check if there have been any lower-level readings detected. Again, for us, when we checked through this function it also always read "0". We finally asked ourselves......does this unit even work?!!

Well we found a way to check it out, and indeed, the unit does work very well.
My husband took the unit to the garage, and then drove our car into the garage, turned off the engine and shut the door down. He waited a minute or less and the unit indeed detected a small amount of CO (15ppm - see picture). Because it was under 35 ppm, the unit did not alarm, but at least we now know it really does work.
I would never suggest you try to check your unit by running your car in a closed garage. We were just measuring the fumes from an engine that was switched off, just as if you came home, parked and turned off your car, got out and shut the garage door.

We are very happy with how the Kiddie Nighthawk CO detector works and are very glad to have it in our home - great peace of mind from a great product that we wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others.
review image
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2017
Warning. we purchased this unit for our daughter that just moved in to a home run on gas, It failed and my whole family ( my daughter, my grand daughter, and her brand new baby) are now in the hospital. They almost lost there lives . this is a new unit and the date on it is 8-19-2016. The fire department and Paramedics said it looks like it is working. no errors showing on screen..it just completely failed to register the carbon monoxide gas and almost killed my whole family.. Newly added to this review..Amazon never responded to this report.. Shame on you Amazon.. Shame on you.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2013
I bought this CO detector from Amazon. It was manufactured in 2001 and is 12 years old. I plugged it in and put a fresh battery in it and it started to read Err. Other customers have commented on this. Save yourself the time and hassle and buy this unit from a big box store. I am returning this unit to Amazon for a refund. They should be ashamed to be selling out of date units like this.
11 comment| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2015
Bought mine from Elliot’s Exchange (Amazon Prime). First noticed the battery that came with the detector was dead. Then discovered the unit was made in September 2000. This thing is 15 years old. Are the chemicals in the CO sensor are still OK? I could have bought a new one at the local store for the same price.
review image
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2015
The Kidde Carbon Monoxide monitor has a sleek design and readily visible readout. I don't really know how to test that it is reading carbon monoxide levels correctly. We were required to install 2 in our house for an upcoming building inspection though, due to the fact that we have a very open plan house and the gas-fired appliances are in the garage and vented to the outside, it is very unlikely that we would ever have a carbon monoxide accumulation in our house. Nevertheless, we are now effectively protected with an alarm that is rated to last 10 years. (At the suggestion of other readers, I did check the manufacture date to make sure we didn't receive old inventory; our units were manufactured just 2 months ago.) I wish the alarm was a bit smaller as it is quite noticeable on the wall where it is plugged into the lower receptacle of the outlet; at least it doesn't cover the entire outlet so you can still plug another appliance into the top outlet.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2017
We bought this unit to replace the other one (same brand) which decided it's life had literally come to an "END" after seven years. Unfortunately it came to an "END" at 12:30 am Wednesday morning and started chirping. When I say end, that is what is displayed on the LED display. END
I'm guessing these things really work but not sure how you would ever do an actual function check. Anyway, assuming they work, the price is good and the unit looks OK. I'd give it 5 stars if it was slightly smaller.
on March 30, 2015
This is a replacement ( exact unit) for s Kiddie Nighthawk we had. When the life of the detector was over and time to replace the old unit it actually emitted a special 'chirp' that let us know something was wrong. Put your instruction manual right next to the monitor. It's very helpful and explains things very well. Several years ago this model saved our lives. We had a terrible ice storm and the power was out. We live in the country and have a well for our water supply. No power no water. About 6 months before the outage we had an automatic generator professionally (yes professionally) installed. The installer of the generator said everything was fine, the electrician said the same and so did our town building inspector. Long story short the generator was not installed correctly. The carbon monoxide went through the bilco door leading to the the stairs to get to the basement and another door to get into the basement. The carbon monoxide then went up the stairs to our kitchen. I happened to look
at the monitor and there was a reading of 19. The gas was there but not high enough for the alarm to go off. When my husband and I opened the basement door within 5 min our other monoxide alarms went off. We do not have children so we didn't think it was necessary to call the fire dept. They were so busy with other emergencies. We turned off the generator and gas supply. Aired the house and stayed the night with no heat or water. We actually slept in the living room with the monitor close by. That night the temp was in the 30's. Every hotel within 50 miles was full because of the extent of the storm.

I placed the new monitor in the same place as the last one and everyday I must look at it at least 10 times. I'm not nuts it's just that I go walk past it and I guess almost unconsciously look at it. I love that we are able to plug it into an outlet (save batteries and the planet) and that it has a
battery backup. If you choose not to buy this brand/model please make sure you buy another carbon monoxide detector.
on February 21, 2017
Works great and is very cost effective. Much easier than replacing my hard-wired CO detectors that cost $120 each and only last 18 months. These portable units last 10 years. Buy one for each level of the house and you are all set.
on February 28, 2016
It keeps my mind at ease. I opted for this detector after reading a ton of reviews and comparing a ton of products. This is my first time to have a house with gas. I like seeing the zero each day. The plug-in keeps my mind at ease and gets rid of the battery issue. It also helped me decide where to place it. (Between my kitchen/living/bedroom in the eat-in breakfast) I set the alarm off and it was loud.