BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Posted:7:59

Game play:

You are provided with a scrambled list of letters and shown a picture of the animal that the word represents. The first words that I was given on the easiest level were vulture and alligator. After you spell the word correctly it then respells it to you and then says the word in a mechanical and robotic style of voice that is very poorly done and hard to understand at times.

In the easy level the letters are shown in the proper position but greyed out and you only have to match the scrambled letters into the proper positions. In the middle difficulty the letters will stick in the proper positions only but no letter hints are provided. In the difficult level you are just given the scrambled words and are expected to decipher them.

What I liked:

A good concept but the choice of words for beginners is very bad!

What I disliked:

I cannot believe the choice of words for this app for a kids first words to spell. Here is the list of the first words I was given:
* Vulture
* Antelopes
* Rhino
* Beetle
* Flying fish
* One 14 letter word I could never figure out!
* Gharial?
* Flamingo
* Pangolin

The voice that says the word is so distorted that it sounds like a simulated robot voice and is difficult to clearly understand. This is a horrible way to teach a child how to pronounce words. When the app respells the word back to you it does so very slowly. Children will find this app too difficult for a first speller.

When I went to the intermediate level I was asked to decipher a 14 character word! There were so many boxes for the letters and they were so small that it took me 5 tries just to place the letter in the box.

This game is difficult for adults let alone children. There are some words that are 13 and 14 characters long. The game even gave me a scrambled word that was spelled correctly. I was even asked to spell chimpanzee as chimpance which is wrong. This is horrible in a child's game teaching spelling skills.

Summary:

This game is far too difficult for children and even adults. It has some value with the easier animals and words but it shows many exotic animals that most people would not even recognize and expects you to decipher the letters and spell the word correctly. It even has chimpanzee misspelled in the app. Unless your child is a zoologist then this game is not for them.

Good concept but poorly chosen words and implementation.

Home screen:
* You can choose 3 levels of difficulty.
* There is a back button
* You can use capital or lower case numbers
* You can turn off the sound
* There are basic instructions on how to play

Permissions: only one asking for system tools to prevent Kindle from sleeping.
Size shown is 664 KB in app memory and 14.585MB in the memory reserved for books and personal data.
99 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2012
Kids Word World - My First Words: Animal (Ad-Free) is an incredibly shoddy product. It tries to (blatantly and unsuccessfully) rip off "My First Words" (down to the STYLE!), and fails in every aspect.

Not only does this game feature words that are far too complicated for children, it also has words that are simply misspelled. If that wasn't frustrating enough, the controls are also terrible and spelling out some of the words becomes an incredible hassle.

The Good:

- Nice, pretty pictures.

- Lack of dangerous permissions.

The Bad:

- EVERYTHING else. Literally, there are only two things I liked about this application.

- Misspelled words. I mean seriously, who writes sentences such as: "There is no gray letters in right order, but when you drop a letter in the right place, it will be stick here otherwise it will not."
Also, what the hell is a "chimpance"? What a mess...

- Terrible controls. Getting the letters to properly line up (especially on the bigger words) is a major pain. Hell, even grabbing them can be frustrating because it doesn't always register your touch!

- Hung three times on two different devices in just minutes of play.

- Skewed up difficulty. How is "Flowerpecker Bird" an easy word, that is grouped with other words like "Ox", and "Fox", and "Dog".

- No undo button, and sometimes the incorrect letters "stick", forcing you to back out (of the game) or move on to the next word...

- I could list dozens of other problems, but I really don't want to bother - it is OBVIOUS the developer didn't and just wanted to make a quick buck.

The Ugly:

- There is nothing too terrible in this game, most of it just falls in the "Bad" category.

Score:
Game: 1/5
Permissions 5/5
Combined score: I REFUSE to use lack of dangerous permissions to bring up the score of such a terrible app. I am making a judgement call here and giving it 1 star. Honestly, I am still being too generous.

Conclusion: Unless you want your child to learn how to spell words... INCORRECTLY, you will stay away from this junker of a product.
on October 14, 2012
I got this app on a day they offered it free and I am glad because I would have been disappointed if I had paid for it. There are misspelled words in addition to words that even my husband and I could not get. There was a picture of a dog and the correct word was Kai Poh? WHAT?
Another image showed a snake but it wanted you to spell out Anaconda which is a little much for a 6 year old when the picture had less than stellar graphics.

When I attempted the highest skill level and misplaced a letter it locked the letter in place making it impossible to finish spelling the word accurately and had to shut down and start over. Lots of bugs in this app for sure.
on October 21, 2012
The authors gave this one a quick once over before letting it loose to our devices. It lacks continuity and even has spelling errors.
A five year will quickly grow tired of it's cumbersome interface. Adults will wonder how some of the words made it through spell check.
The concept is nice, but with a little more effort on the developer's side it could be a fun learning application.
on September 28, 2012
But falls flat. The second word we got on the one star level was herring fish. Really?! Then it froze and force closed. App needs a lot of work to make this useful for a toddler.
on November 26, 2012
I have had on my kindle HD for about 2 months now. Its nothing special but nothing a person can complain about when its free. I've had ones that have forced closed before and this one doesn't do it. My 5 year old likes this. I enjoy myself too.
on October 27, 2012
My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter enjoys playing the game and is getting quite good at placing the letters correctly. She likes the different animals that appear and the animation of the game.
on May 22, 2014
Came on time as was what it was advertised to be. Good for the purpose it was purchased for. Would recommend it.
on September 29, 2012
(My daughter is helping me with this review.) There were a few issues with the game. One included an interesting spelling: "chimance" We looked up chimpance and it appears to be the Spanish spelling of chimpanzee. The gameplay is a bit slow, and the demonstration pictures are not reasonable. The speech synthesis sometimes says the wrong letter. Another issue is that many words are too difficult or obscure for the target age group (in our opinion).

We enjoyed some aspects of the game. The cheesy speech synthesis is unintentionally funny. Also, I think it does have some usefullness for children to practice spelling and word unscrambling. So that is why we thought it should get a three star rating.

Note to parents: make sure you're nearby to look out for misspellings. They aren't that common, but there are some.
on October 18, 2012
Great entertainment and educational tool, my son enjoys this app very much. Worth the price of admission! Easy to use and parent friendly