Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 27, 2013
I wouldn't say I have a huge collection of music boxes but I have about 8 or 9 and I love the way they work. After getting this as a gift I immediately fell in love with it. All tho you can't make every song ever made you can make fun songs like the Jurassic Park theme, or other awesome little melodies on this thing. Very high quality item that I can see owning for a life time.
200 helpful votes
201 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on October 21, 2013
If any of you have tried to make a custom music movement before, you know how time consuming/expensive it can be! I didn't know how well this thing would work, but I figured it would be much cheaper and easier to do, and I was right! Actually, it works very smoothly and sounds beautiful. The hand crank can be a little annoying, but once you mount it (wood works best for amplifying the sound), it's not half bad! But let me also give you a cheat if you don't want to waste time fixing errors on your punching and trying to figure out what it will all sound like when you're finished: There's this WONDERFUL app I found called: "Music Box Composer" for Android and Google. It sucks they don't have it for PC because that would be SO much easier to work, but my boyfriend has an Android phone and I stole it from him to find this app. It is an exact replica (on the 15 note setting) of your music strips! You can move the notes around easily and play the song through your phone until you are content with how it sounds. Then you can easily copy the note placement from your phone to your music strip using the hole punch without making unnecessary mistakes. I'm so glad I found both this contraption as well as the app, and I look forward to buying more for my friends to enjoy! :)
100 helpful votes
101 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on December 12, 2016
The Kikkerland Make Your Own Music Box Kit gets a 5-star review from me! It is small, simple, crafted well, and sounds nice.

I bought the music box kit to make as a gift. When you’re holding it it’s hard to hear and has a metallic sound to it, but when it’s put on a table or screwed into a wooden box with the included screws the sound really resonates. My only complaint is that the lower pitches do not last very long, while the higher pitches stay ringing for a few seconds, leading to some unevenness while listening back any pieces you’ve written.

Another complain I have about the item is the included hole-puncher. Although it is accurate with its crosshairs, it can be extremely difficult to punch through the paper at times. I found my thumb hurting quite a bit while trying to punch out the excerpt I wrote.

Overall, you are getting a great product. It is very cheap at under $15, and while it does have its flaws, I’d say the quality for the price is very good, and would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about making a music box as a gift!
on August 27, 2014
I've purchased this music box multiple times in the past. I love it! My sister takes commissions to make themed music boxes for people using this product. I made one for my fiancee for our fifth anniversary with our song on it. There are no sharps and flats (black keys on a piano), but you can easily adjust a song to make it sound the same with a little tweaking.

I suggest making your music with Noteworthy Composer or another program first before you transcribe your music onto the sheets; they are very delicate and you can't fix any mistakes. To make an ending loop of songs, you can tape the sheet into a loop with very thin tape and they'll still go through the box. If you want to make a music box yourself, you have to drill a hole into a wood box to allow the handle to fit through the outside. Also, this music box resonates the best on a flat, hard surface, so don't be surprised if it's really low while holding it and cranking it -- play it off the edge of a counter or table to be able to hear the song the best.

I love this music box and am a great fan! Have fun!
33 comments|Report abuse
on March 7, 2017
Gave it as a Christmas gift for a brother in law who is musical and loves all things science. He enjoyed it! Nice, small, thoughtful gift that isn't super expensive.
on September 6, 2012
I got this as part of a gift that I was making for my boyfriend as a one year anniversary present. It turned out really well and sounded a lot better than I thought it was going to, but it is very difficult to get it to sound right because you do have to transpose what ever song you are going for into C major. I have 8 years of previous music knowledge so it helped a lot but I feel like it would be very difficult for anyone who doesn't know how to read music. That being said, it's very personal, unique and an excellent little gift idea that can mean a lot. I put You & Me by The Dave Matthews Band on mine, so anything is really possible if you think it sounds right. Plus, it was also a really fun project to put myself to. I would recommend it.
4 helpful votes
on April 25, 2014
this music box is pretty cool. i got it as a gift and punched out a song

just a point of advice to people who are buying it, the mechanism cannot handle back to back notes. so if you wanted to play an F followed by another F, you have to wait a half note (depends on how you look at the sheet music) in between.

i was transposing a melody that has a many back-to-back notes and i had to totally change around the melody from what it was supposed to sound like. luckily im not picky and it still sounded fine to me
on July 30, 2012
We LOVE this little gadget. We are a family of musicians, and thought this would be a lot of fun...and it's been fun not only for us but for our non-musical relatives as well. Very easy to make your own strips (no musical talent needed) and easy to use...you have to attach it to a hard surface for it to reverb but it comes with screws to do so (a piece of wood works) and we didn't have any of the problems other reviews have suggested with attaching it.

Refills are expensive but store-bought poster board works just fine...and you can get a ton of strips off one sheet of that.
4 helpful votes
on May 24, 2014
This is very fun little device, but just know that what they're calling C is actually F. In other words, it sounds a fifth below written pitch. It's an F major scale, not C major. Nowhere does it mention this anywhere in the description. Maybe the designers are French Horn players.

My other criticism is that it's only 2 octaves. I wish it had 3, but you can do a lot with it anyway.

But other than that, it's really fun and addictive once you get into it! I recommend it.
on August 13, 2017
I thought the other reviewers were exaggerating when they talked about the plastic gears wearing down easily but that's what happened. I had it for 10 hours and the inner gear worn down after minimal use. It was a nice product until then but definitely not worth the money or time.