Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 14, 2012
I was very happy with this read. At first I was undecided as to how I felt about a first person story. There are plenty of personalities in this book and they are all explained in detail through the eyes of the main and only speaking character and this was done so well in my opinion that I could vividly picture each person our main character was describing.

I recently went through the survival process forced upon me and my family by hurricane Sandy. Not the same collapse of society as this book portrays but still that feeling of family first. Survive no mater what. As I read this book during our many days without electric and the mayhem at the gas pumps I enjoyed it that much more. The author was able to capture that true despair and the lengths one will go to to protect their family. I experienced good neighbors and desperate ones. I saw good people turn selfish and desperate as things rapidly deterioted around us after the storm. In essence life was imitating art.

I would suggest this book to anyone with a fascination for "end of the world" scenarios. Latley that's the kick I've been on and To Kill A Mans Hope was a very realistic look into a not so unbelievable future. I look forward to the continuing story.
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on January 18, 2013
I thought this was extremely well written, with a great character.
Yes there is massive amounts of violence portrayed in a purely brutal form. But it somehow fits and even seems appropriate for the environment that surrounds this man struggling to get thru the best he can. His internal battles of living two lives bring you right into the dilemma that he wakes with everyday. I know I felt the intensity of his feelings of being the brute or being the protector. In a world filled with chaos sometimes choices are that much harder.
I just hope that Mr Muriella's writing creativity is not prophetic. The setting in some aspects is scary close to what we see going on in the present. Maybe thats why this book pulled me in and had me emotionally invest. Regardless, excellent job.
4 helpful votes
on April 23, 2013
I enjoyed this book. It is a dark story of survival after a colapse and just how low many in society will go when all hope is lost.
The main charactor in this book tries his best to keep the family he loves and lives for safe.
I found this book to be quite a bit different than many other after the colapse series of books I have read.
It is well written and a perspective that one should be aware of should our easy way of life be a thing of the past.
This book is worth reading, if not for the entertainment value, for the knowledge of just how low and animalistic the human race will get if our way of life ever changes to something we have little or no control over.
If you are looking for the hero to come riding out of a cloud of dust, this is not the book for you. If you want what may be a realistic story of what could be, read and prepare.
As a retired LEO and Prison Guard, I know all too well what men are capible of, this book may not be too far from the truth.
on March 24, 2013
This is not a happy story, it is not meant to be happy, it is meant to be intense and gritty and dark. This isn't one of those books where the main characters happen upon a survivalists retreat stocked full of weapons and food, or where the main characters have been planning for the end of the world with a limitless amount of money and time and foresight.. This is the first person story of one average guy who is swept up in an economic collapse, and his own collapsing morality and mindset. This is excellent, and far less fictional than a whole lot of other books in this genre are..I forgot I was reading a kindle book, except when I'd hit a typo now and again, but not bad..Excellent book, not a happy story, but really well written.
2 helpful votes
on November 21, 2012
Wow. After reading this I book I needed to sit down and clear my head so I could think about how to review it. This story really does kill your hope and takes the reader to a place you never want to find yourself, but the author does a nice of job of getting you there. I noticed one of the other reviewers commented on the protagonist's treatment of a "foreclosure agent", but I thought the actions were not out of step with the times. I was surprised our "hero" did it and got away with it. I will read the next installment but I hope our guy has hit rock bottom or I won't be able to finish.
2 helpful votes
on July 20, 2014
Some reviewers said the book was too depressing and could not even finish it, but I suspect they were to immature or inexperienced with true emotion to appreciate the dilemmas the main character faced. Being a husband, father and provider requires more than procreation and cash. It can force a man to face a stark reality that literally tests his ability to survive as well as those around him. This book provides a frame of reference to balance the Stereotypical "Hero, adventurer" which is in vogue. A sobering, cold, wake up slap in the face.
on April 27, 2014
This is not a big or complex book, but it does take you on quite a journey! It has action, misery, frustration, and even a bit of redemption. Both this book and book (2) are worth the modest cost.
on November 3, 2012
This was a great character study about the fall of society and how easily anyone, no matter how moral, could slip into degenerate anarchy.

Terry McDonald
4 helpful votes
on June 30, 2013
Many Americans worry about further moral decline of our society and the Progressives' thirst for government control through collapse of our nation's economy. This story does a good job describing the effects of a complete breakdown of the financial markets on a middle age businessman and his family. Dante's inferno visits Americans trying to survive the economic collapse of America and ensuing breakdown of law, morality, and humanity. A stimulating tale told in the vernacular, no punches pulled. Once started the reader will be unable to put this book down!
on March 28, 2013
Maybe someone who already has spent the money will loan it to you if you HAVE to read it. But really, it's not worth the effort. I should have just put it down about 1/2 way through, but I kept slogging on...and that's what it was a slog ALL THE WAY THROUGH. And it just annoyed me with the lack of names for people...especially the wife and son. Even at 2.99, you can find better disaster/end of the world books out there. I know, I've read quite a few and this one would be in the bottom of any listing...in fact, I just deleted from my Kindle after I had paged on through to the end.