The Killer (The Criterion Collection)
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Deleted scenes
Top Customer Reviews
The Killer, however, is the apex of both their works.
It is possibly the best movie that very few people know about, and upon seeing it, it has become my mission to ensure that it becomes more widely viewed. John Woo's cinematic stylings and breathtaking action sequences are his trademark, and are often mimicked (but never duplicated) by more accessible works. Those who believe that action began with Desperado, Resevoir Dogs or The Matrix need only look to John Woo to find the obvious inspiration for these works.
Of course, as much as a gun is a weapon in action movies, Chow Yun-Fat is John Woo's weapon. Entire tales can be told simply with Yun-Fat's expressions - the ability to "act" without saying a word is sometimes underrated, but I would say that Yun-Fat challenges even DeNiro in his method-acting abilities. His on-screen charisma is electric, and no other actor in Woo's stable has been able to produce the kineticity required of a John Woo hero figure.
The two have joined forces for a number of movies, but none better than The Killer. Besides the afforementioned qualities of each individual, The Killer brings with it a story of "Real Men" in a world where honor is a dirty word. The Killer belongs with the great mafia dramas of Hollywood Cinema and with Kurosawa's samurai epics. The Killer is listed in the guidebook, "The Top 100 Movies No One Has Ever Seen." The latter half of that statement needs to be changed.
Better than Hard Boiled because it has car chases, Chow Yeun Fat use two pistols on most of the action scenes with slow-mo, the story is interesting and EASY to understand, The images, camera angles and movements, and the special effects are SO MUCH better than Hard Boiled.
P.S: The only bad things are that the sound is not "surround" and the dvd doesn't have to much to offer on special features.
1. If the price is drastically LOW. Be cautious if the DVD price is significantly LOWER THAN the MSRP (retail price).
2. If an out-of-print DVD has a low "Buy It Now" price. Out-of-print DVDs are no longer being produced and TEND TO BE WORTH MORE THAN THOSE STILL IN CIRCULATION.
3. When purchasing from Asia, look to see if the DVD cover has any Asian characters on it. There have been multiple bootlegs made with this slight difference on the DVD cover. Oftentimes, bootlegs will be advertised as "official Asian Criterion DVDs". This is NOT TO BE TRUSTED! Criterion Collection has never released alternate Asian Editions of any of their DVDs and they have no plans to do so!
4. Kindly ask Seller(s) for photos of the discs, cover arts, inserts, booklets including UPC number, ISBN number, Cat.No.
5. Contact Criterion Collection via their website to verify all information seller(s) have provided before making your final decision to purchase the item you are interested in!
6. After all, the seller(s) might admit that it is a bootleg or copy. Sadly, some sellers do try and make money off of these.
As one would expect from a film directed by Woo, with Chow in the starring role, "The Killer" contains more than its fair share of shootouts and chase scenes, all filmed with Woo's signature frenetic visual style. However, it's what happens when the movie slows down that sets it apart from the pack. "The Killer" is as much a drama as it is an action yarn, and it's a mighty good drama at that.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
John Woo seems to be the Asian Quentin Tarantino. He seems to have a joy for gunfire and explosions. A very enjoyable movie. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Much like what Sergio Leone did for ''spaghetti westerns', John Woo put his stamp on 'Sweet And Sour Easterns' with this film. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Johnny Rocker
"The Killer" is a blood-soaked action film about a professional killer who accidentally blinds a young lounge singer during a job. Read morePublished 10 months ago by B. Adducchio
Chow Yun-Fat is the man. Besides Jet Li, Bruce Lee, he is right in that line. Don't miss "The Children of Huang Shi" for another good movie with him in it.Published 12 months ago by Stephanie E. Horn
This movie was Good and it had a few Fight scenes from Hard Boiled that I recognized that are not part of this Film but the Movie was Good it had a Good Car Chase scene as well as... Read morePublished on July 17, 2013 by Joe
One of the best movies of the genre but unwatchable on this disc. Terrible quality, terrible out of sync dubbing. Look for one that has good quality reviews... Read morePublished on March 1, 2013 by Mark Devens
The DVD came from Blockbuster...I'm guessing one of the locations went out of business and the DVD was bought and resold. Read morePublished on February 9, 2013 by Michael J. Iggena
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Criterion Collection > Action
- Movies & TV > Criterion Collection > All
- Movies & TV > Criterion Collection > International
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Foreign Films
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Hong Kong Action
- Movies & TV > Movies