Industrial Deals Beauty Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Carrie Underwood All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

Killer Joe [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on June 13, 2013
I saw "Killer Joe" in a small Off-Broadway theater where it worked beautifully - just the right combo of hilarious black humor and white trash sick violence, so I was very anxious to see how it translated onscreen. On film it's all up close and most of the humor is drained from it - there's no audience laughing to let you know what's funny - and what's left is the uneasy, sick horror of the whole situation. There are a few great scenes that make you squirm appropriately, like Joe's creepy seduction of the 21 year old virginal girl, but the violence is in your face, bloody, and unpleasant. The play's most notorious scene - Joe forcing a woman to fellate a drumstick - was hilariously awful and horrifying onstage, but in the movie it's almost unwatchable and ghastly. Well deserved NC-17 rating. All the acting is great, but William Friedkin has never been afraid to rub the audience's nose in it and here he almost goes too far.
Holy mackerel, what did I just watch. I liked the characters, pretty much, I liked the shots if not the locations and the story was one of those things you might have heard from a buddy about someone he knows and feels bad for. It was an interesting though at times uncomfortable ride but McConaughey is charismatic no matter the role, at least in my opinion. I didn't feel connected enough to any of the characters to feel for them one way or another, their success felt a bit Meh in the end or if they got shot, fatal or otherwise I didn't feel the pain and wasn't moved to root for them one way or the other. I might have to go back and watch it again but I am not in any hurry.
on December 10, 2017
WOW what damn good movie, some funny parts, some REALLY VIOLENT SCENES. I only saw one part coming but damn was it good. Matthew McConaughey plays a bit of an unexpected role in this, and man is it great. No spoilers from me, but I'm glad a friend recommended this.
on July 5, 2017
Typical trailer trash type scenarios and the actors were really good. Interesting story and Killer Joe was creepy and charismatic at that the same time. There were a couple weird scenes, that will make never look at Matthew McConaughey the same, so I guess he did a good job. Creepy, sometimes funny, and sometime entertaining.
on May 19, 2017
I saw this film and thought... this will be a laugh. Wrong. Joe is so well embodied by Matt that the whole thing works. I was plesently surprised.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
It surprised me that McConaughey would be in a movie of this caliber. Vulgar. Seedy. Offensive. Do not recommend.
on May 30, 2017
Looked cheesy but it was actually way better than I thought it would be despite its lack luster cast or film budget
on March 4, 2017
Well, I thought this was a decent movie until it got to the end. I don't think I'll be eating KFC for a while.
on April 19, 2016
Despite a memorable performance from McConaughey, this film suffers from a lack of direction. The script is uneven and never really hits any note of authenticity. The basic plot seemed interesting at first glance and appeared to have moments of possibility, however that potential is left untapped. Overall a waste of McConaughey's considerable talent.
on December 20, 2016
All these folks voted for Trump (IMHO) Not for folks under 25 or over 40...
McConaughey and Thomas Haden Church are terrific.